Why are AMV's so rockcentric? Perplexed.

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Jedinovice
Org Profile

Re: Why are AMV's so rockcentric? Perplexed.

Post by Jedinovice » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:14 pm

Tigrin wrote:
I don't think this is the fault of the music so much as the editing. It's an amateur mistake to just throw down a whole clip completely unedited and untimed to the music. This video you linked is actually a good example of poor timing in that sense; too many clips just play out without any attempt at internal or external sync. It's just a matter of course that if you're looking for AMVs on YouTube, which has a huge accessible community, you're going to run across a lot of bad AMVs before finding good ones. It's not the music's fault.
I grant the AMV is far from perfect but it's not that badly cut. I have seen far, far worse. At least it has heart and it illustrate my point that light pop/techno whatever does not equal soulless.

First:

The trouble is that my examples of light pop. techno, whatever you want to call it, are few and far to chose from between because there aren't many and I am finding they are being banned! Even one of mine youtube has just decided to ban!

NOTE: I have uploaded the video I originally wanted to show on my test/prototyping site. I get copyright 'dinged' there it won;t matter.
https://youtu.be/Itt3cdgd_Hw

See it before it gets banned or something. I want more like this! :(

Second:

My problem is the music bias. Here is my case. I jumped into youtube and viewed AMV's under the following titles. Spot the pattern:

"Stein's gate" - time travel, technology, screaming for techno in my opinion!

1. Rock
2. Indie I think (bleah anyway)
3. I don't actually know how to define...
4. Piano
5. Rock
6. Rock

No synth or techno by any definition, including light pop.

"Golden Time." Romantic, worth a light pop love song?

1. Guitar
2. Guitar
3. Guitar
4. Guitar
5. Guitar
6. Light pop which I would count as 'techno' by my wide definition.
7. Dunno. Can't define.
8. Rock [I liked this one.]

"Knights of Sidonia - SF and screaming for techno - and orchestral, I grant.

1. Guitar. Acoustic guitar for (horror) science fiction??!
2. Techno - and it's brilliant! At last!
3. Rock
4. Rock
5. Techno- and again, very good!
6. Techno.
7. Orchestral/OST

OK, I got caught out on "Knights of Sidonia" - things have changed it seems since last time I went looking.

"The world God only knows."

1. Can't define. Sorta indie I think.
2. Rock
3. Rock
4. I don't know, guitar mainly.
5. Rock
6. I don't know, mainly piano.
7. Light pop I would say.
8. Rick Gastly. Noooooooooo!
9. Guitar

Date-A-Live

1 Guitar
2. Rock
3. Rock
4. Rock
5. Rock
6. Rock
7. Rock
8. Rock
[I give up at that point.]

This is what I mean! If I select any given AMV, especially for anything remotely romantic, I know I will get guitar or Rock or something weird I can't define but not techno in any sense.

As I say, I went looking for the 'Girl who leapt through time' AMV I really liked and found...

1. Guitar
2. One (weak) techno I grant
3. Piano
4. Rock (of course.)
5. Guitar (of course)
6. Rock

People seem to think 'heart' automatically equals guitar or maybe piano. Then, I tend to find people, thinking they have a song with heart trough clips at it and you have a lot of mess. But even when it's well cut, the bias in music choice is making me tear my hair out! And this is before we hit battle anime such as Naruto or Bleach (which I don't watch) which you can guarentee will be rock just about - and is appropriate. But I am not been looking for those titles.

Where is the techno? The light pop? The synthesizer - for anything?!

OK, it gives me plenty of room for AMV creation as I can virtually given that for any given anime title the music will be non-techno (by any definition) and leaning towards rock or guitar. But its also very frustrating. It takes me 2-3 months to put an AMV together and so it's slow going!
Video editing on Kdenlive in Mint Linux KDE 17.0
H/W: An ASUS X200 dirt cheap Dual core atom n2840 at 2.16GHz
...and they said it couldn't be done!!! :lol:

ShadowCore89
Org Profile

Re: Why are AMV's so rockcentric? Perplexed.

Post by ShadowCore89 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:20 pm

Farlo wrote:i'm generalizing, but rock and other similar genres typically have lyrics, electronica typically doesn't. that's could be a big reason why, people like editing something where they can sync some to the story of the song.
Not entirely true, I for one make my amvs based on EDM genres like Drum and bass, indie dance, drumstep, etc, and they all have lyrics in them AND they tell a story. It depends on how far into the EDM genre you go, youtube channels like monstercat, proximity, etc, have both tracks with lyrics and without. I really like the EDM genre for amv's not only because it is my favorite kind of music but also because it is very easy to sync to and easy to watch. More often than not whenever I see a rock amv Its harder for me to see all the timing that goes on. If you have a good example of a rock amv done right I would be glad to see it!

Return to “General AMV”