Rider's AMV Roller Coaster Guide/Theory

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Re: Rider's AMV Roller Coaster Guide/Theory

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:47 pm

thanks tritio ;)

i appreciate your thoughts a lot, pwolf, i know my guide is far from perfect and i'm sure i'll come up with things along the way myself that i could do to improve it.
Pwolf wrote:What does that all mean in relation to the video? What exactly are you doing to "let the flood gates loose" and "release all the energy"? Are you increasing the tempo of your edits? Picking scenes that have a lot more action? speeding up the source? adding effects to make everything more chaotic? I'm all for people figuring this all on their own but I think if you really want to help, it would be better if there was more information about what you actually did in relation to what's being asked.
i understand your point. the reason i didn't write out specifically what i did is because the details are specific only to this particular video, and what i don't want is for beginners is to take those details and try incorporate them into their anime and song. because that won't work. what i want for them to do is to put on blur goggles so to speak so they stop focusing on the details and more so on energy. (i did reference in the first chorus different options on how to do that but i probably could have brought it back up again for explaining the finale.) but my biggest concern is when people focus on the "small" stuff, they lose sight of the big picture. that's why i consider this guide 101. then the more advanced they become, the more they'll be able to tighten up and hone in on the details without losing sight of the full picture because it'll become second nature. like ngsilver and johnny depp said, the most important part of the story is the ending. but it must have a set up and execution to meet its full potential.

and just so we're on the same page, i think you and i may have a different definition of flow. for this guide i'm referring to the flow of energy, not necessarily moving from one scene to another if that's what you mean.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:50 pm

Well, what's your definition of "energy" in relation to video editing then?

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:07 pm

well.... hmm.... it makes sense in my head.... i'm very right-brained so this is hard for me XD

let me try this a different way, from your comments i've assumed that when you say flow, you mean the timing and movement how one scene is cut to the next, right? assuming yes i'll go on....

for this guide, i mean flow as in the transition from one level of energy to the next, and when done properly the energy of the viewer will react accordingly. meaning when the video and music are fast paced or full of drama, that high energy will therefor build up inside the viewer. same as when the video and music are at a more calm state so will the viewer be. It's that energy inside the viewer that you want to control to make them feel like they went on a roller coaster. if you create a video that is consistently high in energy then you will tire your audience out. and the reverse applies as well if you make something that's consistently low energy, they'll get bored. if you can find the balance in between, having the correct number of intervals at the right time, then the final result will be one of great satisfaction (like a bigger applause in a convention setting) because you will have given the viewer literally a physical reaction to what you created.

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:37 pm

Shin's Bumper Car guide/Theory for AMVs:
Aimlessly meander around bumping and banging into things for 3-4 minutes and hope that when its over people get something meaningful from it.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:39 pm

i approve :up:

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:28 pm

Shin-AMV wrote:I was editor of the year.

JESUS CHRIST. WE ALREADY KNOW THAT DAMN IT. GO BACK TO YOUR CORNER NOW.

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:41 pm

Now see, I read this and thought "huh, so that's what I do." LOL I figure things out as I go along, I can't storyboard or plan to save my life, but I do always have the forest in mind when I'm planting my trees. I think this guide would be useful for people who don't really think about the forest, they just see "tree, tree, TREE!!" and then wonder why it doesn't add up to quite the landscape they've envisioned.

Everybody plants their own kind of flora, of course. Some people have highly cultivated, meticulous rose gardens, other people go for that casual, cottage garden look. It's all great, when done right, but it all does tend to require making some kind of order out of chaos.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:22 pm

you nailed it, driftroot :amv:

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Shin-AMV wrote:Shin's Bumper Car guide/Theory for AMVs:
Aimlessly meander around bumping and banging into things for 3-4 minutes and hope that when its over people get something meaningful from it.

Well, that pretty much proves it.
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:53 pm

y'know, if he keeps whipping out vids the way his does using that technique, then i approve :up:

Return to “General AMV”