So you want to be a "Professional Editor"? Read this first

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Re: So you want to be a "Professional Editor"? Read this fir

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:38 pm

Bauzi wrote:I feel a bit like someone treats beginners like shit and I feel exploited. I study Digital Film & Animation and there is an "job" offer on our black board:

Cutter for musicvideos, cutter for a trailer, internet tv and distribution, administrative work, keeping the website up to date,... for 4 months. Than there might be some project with cash involved.

Are you shitting me? Being a personal bitch for 4 months... for free? >_<

People will do anything to live the dream....

In between editing gigs from 2009-2010, I tried to do the "work as a PA (production assistant) for free and have the director and producers yell at you as you deliver their bagels and coffee" route. But the doorway to get into that is so tiny, it's like having real people trying to actually fit inside a mouse hole. :x
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:11 pm

I found a flowchart that can tell you if you should work for free or not:
http://jhische.com/workforfree.html

Surprise! It suggests that you should never work for free for a legitimate business.
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

McDirty
Org Profile

Post by McDirty » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:38 pm

Bauzi wrote:Surprise! It suggests that you should never work for free for a legitimate business.
:lol: Because they have money for sure, that's why. Thanks for the chart Bauzi. I gotta kick out of it. :up:
Castor Troy wrote:People will do anything to live the dream....

In between editing gigs from 2009-2010, I tried to do the "work as a PA (production assistant) for free and have the director and producers yell at you as you deliver their bagels and coffee" route. But the doorway to get into that is so tiny, it's like having real people trying to actually fit inside a mouse hole. :x
Wow! I bet you learned a lot from the experience though. I heard that 1 week of PA work in Hollywood is more productive than 4 years of study.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:44 pm

McDirty wrote:
Bauzi wrote:Surprise! It suggests that you should never work for free for a legitimate business.
:lol: Because they have money for sure, that's why. Thanks for the chart Bauzi. I gotta kick out of it. :up:
Castor Troy wrote:People will do anything to live the dream....

Wow! I bet you learned a lot from the experience though. I heard that 1 week of PA work in Hollywood is more productive than 4 years of study.
Back when I was a kid, my friend's brother worked as a PA on Power Rangers and said it was a difficult, but awesome experience. He was paid peanuts, but at least he can say he worked on Power Rangers. :shock:

I also applied to be an extra in several indie films just to get the experience of being on a set and even went to Hollywood several times for headshots, but never got called back. :cry:

But screw all that, I'm making my own film in hopefully 2 years or less. :up:

Magnus
Treasure this time
Org Profile

Post by Magnus » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:51 pm

Got my first paying video gig. Making a PV as well as a Music video for an underground Metalcore-band here in Sweden, Still Echo.
These 2 projects are in the planning stage - scripts, locations and props is being worked on.

"Forever, Though Never" by Still Echo - Music Video Production.
First video shooting will be taking place in around the end of Mars and beginning of April, shooting for the first video will be scheduled on weekends taking up to around 3 weekends in total
(8 hours a day, so approximately 47 hours). The editing stage of the first production is still unclear, but the hunch is telling me that it might take quiet a while,
due to some of the technical work involved with the script and storyboard.
Link to song of the project.

"Choices" by Still Echo - Promotion Video Production.
The second production, which will be the Promotion Video (PV), will be shot under the duration of ~2 weekends (each day 6-7 hour, approximately 24-28 hours total).
The editing of this project will be slightly quicker, due to the reason of being a classic styled PV with mostly shots of the actual band (No interpretation of side-story footage).
Link to song of the project.

To check out all of their music, their EP which is up for free live streaming, click here.
ImageImageImage

animAe
Org Profile

Post by animAe » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:57 pm

Omg, thank you, so much for this. You seriously just saved my ass from making the biggest mistake of my life!

I'm a senior in High School who has been applying to colleges like mad and I was having a hard time figuring out what I REALLY wanted to do as a career. I've been putting Nursing as a major and film editing/studies as a minor and I always thought "Well, if I follow my passion, i'll manage to work things out." After reading this, I realized how stupid I was! Well, I wasn't completely going to sell my soul to big video corporations without giving some thought; I visited a few film colleges/institutions and asked them questions about their experiences. Of course, all I got was bias fluff from them trying to convince me to attend.

Then I started thinking of what I would look like as a professional editor, I would be dead. I already killed my eyesight from editing long hours giving me glasses, I would probably get migranes everyday from deadline stress and spending days cutting clips, and desperately looking online for editing gigs. >_<

Thanks again Castor Troy! :D I now realize that my interests of editing should STAY as a hobby.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:00 pm

animAevids wrote:Omg, thank you, so much for this. You seriously just saved my ass from making the biggest mistake of my life!

I'm a senior in High School who has been applying to colleges like mad and I was having a hard time figuring out what I REALLY wanted to do as a career. I've been putting Nursing as a major and film editing/studies as a minor and I always thought "Well, if I follow my passion, i'll manage to work things out." After reading this, I realized how stupid I was! Well, I wasn't completely going to sell my soul to big video corporations without giving some thought; I visited a few film colleges/institutions and asked them questions about their experiences. Of course, all I got was bias fluff from them trying to convince me to attend.

Then I started thinking of what I would look like as a professional editor, I would be dead. I already killed my eyesight from editing long hours giving me glasses, I would probably get migranes everyday from deadline stress and spending days cutting clips, and desperately looking online for editing gigs. >_<

Thanks again Castor Troy! :D I now realize that my interests of editing should STAY as a hobby.
I'm glad to be of service. :)

If you still want to pursue some form of professional editing, become a director instead and edit your own stuff. You can even do it on the side and make it your full time career if you can monetize on it. That's my plan. :up:

BadgerKing
Org Profile

Post by BadgerKing » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:56 pm

Very nice thread - excellent info. Eventually I hope to learn Avid. Having seen Premiere Pro CS5 in action, though, it's pretty incredible what it can do. The demo I saw of it had the Adobe employee editing in full HD on the fly (pretty much all Red 4k footage that I can recall) with no lagging. From what I hear, that's a big reason why Apple and Adobe had their little 'quarrel' - when they saw what Adobe did to step up their editing game to counter Final Cut.

OtakuGray
I understoop!
Org Profile

Post by OtakuGray » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:05 pm

The people in the industry can change the industry. If you wanna be an editor, then go for it and don't worry about shit like this. Thats my personal opinion, whether its good or not doesn't matter to me. Still, good information to know if you are looking to be an editor, but i would rather experience it for myself before making a decision.
godix wrote:Like this one amv. It was all like woosh, zoom with effects. And I was all like whoa awesome. Then that guitar thingies popped up and went dun dun DUN dun then those box thingies went zooming by and twirling around and shit. Oh god, then the hexagons popped up and I was like 'I just got a stiffie'. Then there was the circle with those thingies going around and I blew my load.

Kaream
Org Profile

Post by Kaream » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:28 am

Charlie Sheen :D
Only man who could make thousands of dollars off of tweets.

Return to “General AMV”