Avoiding copyright block on YouTube (officially?)

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Toji1996
Org Profile

Avoiding copyright block on YouTube (officially?)

Post by Toji1996 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:06 pm

Hi,

I've done some work on an AMV lately with Evangelion and a song by AJJ. The video has two copyright claims: one which is a result of having AJJ's song (which will likely have minimal effect on who can view it, or at most will limit it to certain countries), another is a result of having Evangelion footage (resulting in a total viewing block of the video). Having trimmed out the audio in the video via Youtube, I realized the main cause of the Evangelion claim had to do with the presence of the episode's audio; the video footage itself wasn't really problematic.

So, obviously to avoid a total block I could just remove the episode audio. However, I am interested in keeping the audio because of its role in the AMV.

So I want to avoid removing anything if possible, and I think what this means is I need to gain permission to use that footage/audio. Doing so for both the music and the video is likely to make the video available to a broader audience as well as letting me keep what I've got in the AMV.

Has anyone done this before? What does it take?

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Re: Avoiding copyright block on YouTube (officially?)

Post by Zarxrax » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:38 pm

Not going to happen. No one is going to give you special permission just for your AMV. Plus you would have to do negotiations with a Japanese company if it were even a possibility.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:02 am

I really don't know if you'll have any luck with this, but have you considered using Vimeo as an alternative host for streaming your works? You may run into the same troubles there. Or maybe you won't!

Toji1996
Org Profile

Post by Toji1996 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:20 am

seasons wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:02 am
I really don't know if you'll have any luck with this, but have you considered using Vimeo as an alternative host for streaming your works? You may run into the same troubles there. Or maybe you won't!
Thanks to both of you! I have not considered Vimeo, but I'll give it a try. I was able to make some edits to get past the block, though.

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:25 am

It\s kinda funny but but yeah best way is not to upload there , lol. Overediting isn't bad idea to try
Still better than that MMO.

Return to “General AMV”