Ghost ship movie and Memories

This forum is for actual topics of discussion that do not fit the above categories.
MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Ghost ship movie and Memories

Post by MistyCaldwell » Sun Oct 20, 2002 11:05 pm

That new horror/thriller movie called Ghost ship that comes out this Friday looks interesting. However, the trailer kind of reminded me of the anime called 'Memories'.

Doesn't ring a bell? :wink: It's the anime used in the Kevin Caldwell AMV to the phantom of the opera remix. I don't know if a lot of people have seen the anime, but a lot have seen that amv.

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed the similarity. A scene in the movies' trailer shows a dance hall where the light sweeps across the room revealing a host of victorian dressed dancers. It seems almost directly derived from Memories. I don't think it's a rip off though. I'll find out soon enough :)

Angel_Killer_777
Org Profile

Post by Angel_Killer_777 » Sun Oct 20, 2002 11:35 pm

It reminded me of Virus and Event Horizon.
>insert witty remark<

Mroni
Location: Heading for the 90s living in the 80s sitting in a back room waiting for the big boom
Org Profile

Post by Mroni » Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:17 am

a movie about a ghost ship I will have to look it up!!!!!

Mr Oni
Purity is wackable!
"Don't trust me I'm over 40!"

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Sat Oct 26, 2002 6:39 pm

I saw this movie last night, on opening night.

Spoilers ahead :o

It was incredible in the goodness catagory :)
I really liked it. It doesn't let you figure it out very well until the very end..but the hints are there all along. You don't notice them until after you see the credits and things finish falling into place. There is a musical sequence at the end very like a music video/collage that is just the best climax to the plot ^__^ I really liked it. The gore is minimal and necessary, not overdone I think.

A couple more minor spoilers ahead.

It does have a couple scenes in common with 3 anime. No similar plot lines though. It has a part that is very much like the Pirate ship ep. from Slayers Try, a scene that I mentioned earlier from the Phantom of the Opera-like "Memories" anime DOES have a flavor very much like that scene, complete with ghostly temptress :wink: and....in a lesser sense the Tenchi Muyo ep. with their ghost ship in space.

The opening scene is ...unforgettable....I don't want to spoil it anymore. I feel the opening scene sets the bar in the movie very high for shock value. The rest of it plays up to that until the musical climax near the end.

The only gripe I have is how you practically have to wear sunglasses for how many times they shine the light into the camera lens 8)

MCWagner
Org Profile

Post by MCWagner » Sun Oct 27, 2002 6:08 pm

Hmmm... Just finished seeing it myself. 'Fraid I didn't enjoy it as much as you did, but mileage varies a lot on this kind of thing. Dunno, maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it, but I got the impression the whole movie was written around that opening sequence. (Cool lookin' but most of the FX budget must've gone into it and pyrotechnics...)

The framing idea of the initial Ghost Ship creation was pretty good. Kinda recalls the slaughter at Masada, but I didn't find anything too original in the way the story played out. Does recall Virus and Event Horizon quite a bit like AK777 said. I'll probably write a full review later. As always, just MHO.
Als Gregor Samsa eines Morgens aus unruhigen Träumen erwachte, fand er sich in seinem Bett zu einem ungeheueren Ungeziefer verwandelt.

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Sun Oct 27, 2002 8:09 pm

I would guess I liked it because I haven't seen a whole lot of horror movies. I am told it has a lot in common with Event Horizon, again, something I have never seen. A lot of people who are have watched these movies a lot don't really like it..saying it's not bad, but it's not great. Maybe it's one of those movies that only appeal to people who aren't used to horror movies like me. I don't really watch horror movies because they all look like 'Try and get away from the bad evil guy who appears behind you outta nowhere" and watching something with a good plot (I think) like this one just impresses me.

Yeah, lots of people hated it, but I liked it :)

MCWagner
Org Profile

Post by MCWagner » Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:33 am

Oh I'm not trying to make ya hate it or anything. Just another point of view.

I'm curious, what made you want to see this film, if you don't normally like horror films? Maybe I can suggest some others...
Als Gregor Samsa eines Morgens aus unruhigen Träumen erwachte, fand er sich in seinem Bett zu einem ungeheueren Ungeziefer verwandelt.

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:55 am

A couple reasons... :o

I saw a really good trailer for this on cable earlier in the week. It showed little gore, mostly plot line so it caught my eye. I went online to find out a tad bit more and found out it was a horror. I enjoyed Silent Hill, Resident Evil..so forth...so I thought it wouldn't bother me too much and still entertain.

I like old ships. When I went to Baltimore for Otakon this year, I had to check out the harbor and Chesapeake and it's ships. Growing up in the middle of the midwest...big ships are hard to come by :wink: so they are fascinating to me. I want to try the Queen Mary someday, and this movie set seemed pretty close. Especially the pool set from the film.

Plus, I just don't like slashers since I think they lack actual plot (even though I saw Scary movie...it's scary climax being the gym teacher :roll: ) and I stay away from them for that reason.

If you know of some brain stimulating horror movies, suggest away 8)

MCWagner
Org Profile

Post by MCWagner » Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:09 am

Hmmm. Brain stimulating and ships. Not an easy combo. I'll have to sleep on it a bit.

"Virus" jumps to mind, but only in the "ship" aspect. Sort of a terminator meets Alien on board a Russian freighter. Had it's moments, but got a bit silly. Sorta low-budget too.

Brain-Stimulating, I'd suggest "The Others." No gore, little special effects, masterfully made. (Although really best on the big screen.)

I'll think on it a bit....

Return to “General Off Topic”