What are good RPG games for SNES........

This forum is for actual topics of discussion that do not fit the above categories.
J-0080
Org Profile

Post by J-0080 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:27 pm

CaTaClYsM wrote:
Savia wrote:Harvest Moon. Great game.
That is not a RPG. It's a farming sim.

But...but....Natsume said it was.
paizuri wrote:There's also no need for introductions because we're generally a friendly bunch and will welcome you with wide open arms anyway.

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:35 pm

Savia wrote:
CaTaClYsM wrote:
It's an RPG and you know it :wink:

An original and very different RPG, though.

I'd be inclined to agree with you were it not for the whole subplot about getting a girl and what have you.
Except for the fact that you don't level, your character has no stats, and is no evil which must be fought. All you do is farm, and hit on chicks all day. It's no RPG. It's a sim.
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

azulmagia
Org Profile

Post by azulmagia » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:40 pm

If you know Japanese and have a pair of pliers, then you might wanna try the Sailor Moon RPG.

J-0080
Org Profile

Post by J-0080 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:44 pm

CaTaClYsM wrote:
Savia wrote:
CaTaClYsM wrote:
It's an RPG and you know it :wink:

An original and very different RPG, though.

I'd be inclined to agree with you were it not for the whole subplot about getting a girl and what have you.
Except for the fact that you don't level, your character has no stats, and is no evil which must be fought. All you do is farm, and hit on chicks all day. It's no RPG. It's a sim.

Well you do have stats, although its limited to your stamina gauge but you can increse it via powerberries. Instead of fighting monsters for gp you fight....nature?
paizuri wrote:There's also no need for introductions because we're generally a friendly bunch and will welcome you with wide open arms anyway.

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:58 pm

Battling vegetables that don't fighting back with a ho is not my idea of combat. :?
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells
Org Profile

Post by Moonlight Soldier » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:12 pm

Azul wrote:If you know Japanese and have a pair of pliers, then you might wanna try the Sailor Moon RPG.
He he....That's the reason I have an emulator! (Though all other games mentioned above are actually mine, I own them ^^) ...I have it in english though.....no need for the Japanese with me *does a little dance*

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:33 pm

OMGROFLWTF! WAREZ WAREZ WAREZ! BURNINATE THEM!!!

Gaikotsu
Org Profile

Post by Gaikotsu » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:40 pm

J-0080 wrote:Meh, personally I liked Breath of Fire 2 better than the first one.

Whatever you do though, do not get the Seventh Saga! Even though I got it for 5 bucks at Funcoland I still feel like I was riped off.
Hey, I kinda liked The 7th Saga. What about it made you feel like you were ripped off?

Anyway, aside from everything that's been listed, I'd recommend Bahamut Lagoon if you can get your hands on it. It's more of a Shining Force style turn-based strategy game than a true RPG, but it's still pretty good.
Who knows what fires burn in the souls of others, or what burdens weigh upon their hearts?

J-0080
Org Profile

Post by J-0080 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:59 pm

Gaikotsu wrote:
J-0080 wrote:Meh, personally I liked Breath of Fire 2 better than the first one.

Whatever you do though, do not get the Seventh Saga! Even though I got it for 5 bucks at Funcoland I still feel like I was riped off.
Hey, I kinda liked The 7th Saga. What about it made you feel like you were ripped off?
Lots of little things I suppose.

The poor lack of dialouge, the wasy the characters seemed unbalanced towards each other (the monk guy was all but impossible to kill with a non-magic user). The way monsters seemed to make large jumps in difficulty even after leveling up. Having to convert all my money into gems. That annoying bounty hunter who kept comming back, over and over gain.

The radar system was a good idea I suppose, but in the end your not really able to avoid monsters anymore than in a random encounter game. Plus for those monsters they just reused the same 5 sprites but gave em a different color.

Other stuff as well, this is off the top of my head.

Gaikotsu
Org Profile

Post by Gaikotsu » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:28 am

At least you've got decent reasons for not liking it, instead of just saying "its Teh suXX", hehe.

I agree with you about that bounty hunter guy, I mean how many times did he come back from the dead? Two? Three? The only other major thing that got to me was the excessive amount of levelling up you had to do.

Apart from that, I thought it was quite interesting. I liked how characters would react differently depending on which hero you chose, (that one kid wouldn't give you the remote control to open the secret door in the cave, if you chose the elf girl as your hero, for one thing). I also liked how other heroes could find the runes before you if you took too long, and how you'd have to fight them to gain the runes for yourself. That added a sense that the world wasn't just black and white, and that everyone was more or less out for their own benefit.

It's been a long time since I played it, so I'm sure I left things out, but I liked its difficulty level too, despite the redundant levelling up. The 7th Saga wasn't a pushover RPG, that much is certain.

Still, to each their own. I'm not trying to change your opinion; just listing some of the game's stronger points in case someone else wants to give it a shot.
Who knows what fires burn in the souls of others, or what burdens weigh upon their hearts?

Return to “General Off Topic”