The Voice of reason intervenes. [about console gaming]

This forum is for actual topics of discussion that do not fit the above categories.
CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

The Voice of reason intervenes. [about console gaming]

Post by CaTaClYsM » Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:49 am

Another forum I visit recently has a discussion on Gaming consoles and it got into a fanboy war as they always do. Am I the only one that's tired of listening to people complain about the other consoles? I think my final post sums up my take on the situation.
Me wrote:Excuse me for saying this, but the PS2 isn't for hardcore gamers. Saying that is just retarded. Wanna know what's for hardcore gamers? Nothing less then all the next gen systems because they arent fanboys, they just wanna play games and don't care what system it's on. Call me crazy, but this is the way I think it SHOULD be. I despise Sony for killing the Dreamcast ( I still think it's better than the PS2. Where it fails in CPU power it makes up for with it's GPU, 4 controller ports, VMUs, bult in modem, and homebrew apps.) and being the weakest of all the next gen systems. I still plan to buy it. I still plan to buy the Gamecube despite the fact that it's got practically no third party support, and I bought an XBox despite the fact that I had to sign my soul to the devil (Or Bill Gates as he calls himself today.) to do it. If I fanboy myself up to one console I'll be alienating myself from the redeeming titles (be they many or few) that the other two consoles have to offer. Buying a new console for one game may be expensive, but missing out on a good game is something I can't afford to do.
I hope and pray that one day The people making these thigns gets it right. XBox 2 has to be more than jsut a PC. The next nintendo needs THIRD PARTY SUPPORT. and the next Playstation needs to be more development friendly and have more than two controller ports, AND A BETTER GPU!!!

But what I've read is disturbing. ALL the next gen systems are getting chips from IBM, and TWO OF THEM are getting GPU's from ATI. I think what's going to happen next time is that they're all going to be the same machine in a different box.

Another thing occured to me. Some sort of classification needs to be developed for gamers. Someone needs to set a bar as say "You need to do or acomplish this to call yourself a hardcore gamer." and "You must have played games this long to call yourself an oldschool gamer". I'm tired of watching people walk around with their overinflated ego's talking about "O PWN JOO I PLAYED CT AND FF6 HAHAHAHA ROFLROFLROFL!" and then when I ask "Well hotshot you think you're so smart who is Billy Blaze?" and then they go "OMGROFLWTF I DON'T NO IT MUST NE SOME DUM GAME NOON'ES HEARD OF AND YUO SUK!"

I feel so bad about playing games when I see stuff like this. Because gaming is supposed to be fun, wholesome and good. But it's spoiled on a community of 1337 haxxors and lamers who are so ignorant they need respirators on hand because they keep forgetting how to breath.

Another thing that sucks is how everyone has to like the same types of games. If you like Halo you're some looser because "OMGROFLWTF METRIOD PRIMES IS TEH ROXXOR AND A BETTER SHOOTER!" Without considering that MAYBE some of us don't qualify a game with an AUTO-FUCKING-LOCK ON COMBAT SYSTEM AS A SHOOTER! Or Final Fantasy wars that are being waged as we speak over whether 7 was better than 8. How about letting people decide for themselves what they like and for what reason?

and then there is this...

http://www.segasucks.net/

which speaks for itself. Someone who hates sega so much he must register a domain name and climb aboard his soap box to validate his miserable existence.

I could go on for days but I'll save it for later.

Onideus_Mad_Hatter
Org Profile

Post by Onideus_Mad_Hatter » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:02 am

Sega really does suck though. Why? Because they're like XBox, they focused so much on hardware that they didn't have enough RD and creativity left over for THE GAMES. And really, that's what it's all about, the games. For example, I bought a GameCube simply for F-Zero, Metroid, Zelda, and Star Fox...and that's it. Because those games are so fucking good that they warrant buying an entire system just for them. Now that Sega has finally up and died (thank fucking God), XBox is looking to take on their same mistakes. Basically putting everything into expensive hardware without thinking about the games.

As far as old sk00l gaming, well, my first system was an Atari 2600. As for classifying who is and isn't a gamer...I dunno. Guess it depends on how much time and money you put into it. Of course just cause you might be a "gamer" doesn't actually mean that you've got any skill in the matter. I know people who play video games ALL the time, but for some reason they always suck ass at them. Where as with me, I tend to not only beat most games in just a few days, but also learn every last lil secret and trick while I'm at it. Sometimes for fun I like to see how fast I can go through Zelda: The Ocarnia Of Time, getting every item, every heart, every skulltula, etc WITHOUT using any sort of guidebook or game FAQ. Usually takes me about 2 to 3 days, depending on how much of my time I put into it.
[size=0]
Image[/size]

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:12 am

If you were right I'd agree with you. If Sega sucked then why do their games sell so well? Maybe it's because *GASP* THEIR GAMES ARE ACTUALLY GOOD? The reason why the DC died is because everyone decided to wait a year for their PS2s.
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

Onideus_Mad_Hatter
Org Profile

Post by Onideus_Mad_Hatter » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:19 am

CaTaClYsM wrote:If you were right I'd agree with you. If Sega sucked then why do their games sell so well? Maybe it's because *GASP* THEIR GAMES ARE ACTUALLY GOOD? The reason why the DC died is because everyone decided to wait a year for their PS2s.
Uh...which games specifically sold well? Off the top of my head I can't recall ANY games for Sega that EVER sold well. And certainly no where near the level of series like Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, etc, etc, etc. I mean, what memorable games did Sega have...Sonic? Yeah, that was basically it. o_O
[size=0]
Image[/size]

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:21 am

Name one.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/373/373041 ... ?fromint=1

Ironic that the best Selling Game cube title of 2002 WAS A SEGA GAME!
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:25 am

And BTW, Hatter, you answered (partially) your own question.

El Banana
Org Profile

Post by El Banana » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:34 am

I never liked the old Sega systems. However, I believe Sega made a GRAND exit with the little MARVEL that was the Dreamcast.
Besides being a tremendous machine, It also had a shitload of games, 4 controller ports, Blah.

It had SoulCalibur.
Freaking SOULCALIBUR.

Though the fact the console is dead made it much less morally conflictive for me to download and burn games for it.
I like bugging people. Deal with it.

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:38 am

But that aside, I'm considering doing something completelly inane and making a checklist of things to do if you want to be considered a hardcore or oldschool gamer. It wouldn't be anything new or extravagant or some sort of bible to live by. Just things any gamer does but compiled on a list. Beat OOt on 3 hearts without using a continue once, that kind of thing.

El Banana
Org Profile

Post by El Banana » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:43 am

Beat Ninja Gaiden (NES, of course) using no continues.

On second thought, I believe you didn't get any. Damn emulators.
I like bugging people. Deal with it.

darkyre
Org Profile

Post by darkyre » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:07 am

you had to be a gamer to beat most any NES game at all.

most were long, no saving capabilites, and few lives.

i beat all the ones i played :P

Return to “General Off Topic”