2024 VCA Updates, Questions & Feedback Thread

Nominate and vote on all your favorite videos from 2023!
Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

2024 VCA Updates, Questions & Feedback Thread

Post by Kireblue » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:11 am

What are the VCAs?

For over 20 years, the A-M-V.org Viewers Choice Awards have been an annual opportunity to showcase and acknowledge the videos that stand out above the rest. It's a way for fans to say “Thank you” to the creators who put the extra effort into creating truly exceptional videos. And so every year, we let the community vote on what videos they thought were the very best from the previous year. There are awards for Best Action, Most Artistic, Editor of the Year, and many more! If you want to see what has won in previous VCAs you can go here to click through the years!

What can compete?
Fandom Music Videos that premiered online in 2023 are eligible to participate in the VCAs (even videos that aren't cataloged on A-M-V.org). Premieres are defined as a video's first upload to either a streaming platform (YouTube, Vimeo, etc) or a catalog site (AMVOrg, AMVNews). Videos that were only uploaded to file-sharing sites like Google Drive or were only made available to watch as a collection of submissions (as opposed to individual uploads) do not count as premieres.

Traditionally, the VCAs have been exclusive to fan-made music videos that primarily use animation from Japan, but in recent years, we've decided to open the competition up to all forms of animation. We've also added a "Best Use of Live Action Source" category to recognize fan-made music videos that use Live Action movies and shows.

How do I nominate videos?
To nominate a video, post a link to it in a nomination thread that you feel it is eligible for. The moderation team will then auto-nominate that video for every other category that we feel it fits in. When posting a link to a video, the original YouTube upload is highly preferred. Also, please ensure that the video first premiered in 2023. Each person's Nominations will be limited to 10 per category, and can't be revoked once submitted. Nominations after your 10th video in a category will be discarded for that category.

How do I vote?
Once the Nomination period is over, all nominated videos will be added to a Google form. To vote, you need to be logged into a Google account (YouTube, Gmail, Google Drive, etc), and the voting form will use your profile to submit your responses anonymously. You can also go back to the form as many times as you like to update or change your vote. As long as you click the "SUBMIT" button, your responses will be recorded and remembered if you need to edit them later.

You can use the Google sheet links in each of the nomination threads to watch whatever videos were nominated for that category. To make finding videos as easy as possible, the document contains separate sheets sorted by each category. If you notice that a video is missing from the sheet or voting list, please let us know as soon as possible.

Nomination Categories
Videos must be nominated for these categories to be eligible for Round 1 voting

• Best Action, Most Artistic, Best Character Profile, Best Comedy, Best Drama, Best Fun, Best Use of Instrumental Music, Best Use of Live Action Source, Best Use of Multiple Sources, Most Original, Best Parody or Commercial, Best Romance, Best Rhythm & Dance, Best Sentimental, Best Short, Best Use of Special Effects, Best Storytelling, Best Thriller, Best Trailer

Non-nomination Categories
All videos and editors nominated for any category will be automatically eligible for Round 1 voting
  • Video of the Year
  • Editor of the Year

VCA Schedule
Nominations: 02/08 - 02/21
Round 1 Voting: 02/23 - 03/06
Round 2 Voting: 03/08 - 03/20
Final Round Voting: 03/22 - 04/01

LIVE Stream of Results: 04/04 @ 8PM EST

All rounds will end on the scheduled day at 11:59 pm EST.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: 2024 VCA Updates, Questions & Feedback Thread

Post by Kireblue » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:08 am

The Nomination Threads have been unlocked!
You're now able to start posting all of your favorite AMVs that premiered in 2023. The nomination period will end at 11:59 pm EST on Wednesday, February 21st.

PerkyPastry
Org Profile

Post by PerkyPastry » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:12 pm

Is there a verdict on how much % animation a mixed source vid needs to have in order to count for non-live action categories?

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:35 pm

PerkyPastry wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:12 pm
Is there a verdict on how much % animation a mixed source vid needs to have in order to count for non-live action categories?
A minimum percentage has not been defined, but videos that consist of an overwhelming majority of Live-Action footage compared to the amount of Anime footage, and do not embody the spirit of an AMV will not be eligible for the anime-exclusive categories. This determination will be made on a case by case basis.

vivafruit
Org Profile

Post by vivafruit » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:39 am

I have a question about whether this video is eligible:

It's a "re-edit" of a video that premiered a long time ago. There are scenes that are different from the previous version. I checked the rules but it seems ambiguous to me, so I figured I'd ask first.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:22 am

vivafruit wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:39 am
I have a question about whether this video is eligible:

It's a "re-edit" of a video that premiered a long time ago. There are scenes that are different from the previous version. I checked the rules but it seems ambiguous to me, so I figured I'd ask first.
Yes, a re-edit with new screens is allowed to be nominated

Moonpie
Org Profile

Post by Moonpie » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:17 pm

Remind me, how short does a short have to be? 1:30?

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:28 pm

Moonpie wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:17 pm
Remind me, how short does a short have to be? 1:30?
120 seconds or less

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:21 pm

Round 1 voting has officially begun!

To vote, you need to be logged into a Google account (YouTube, Gmail, Google Drive, etc), and the voting form will use your profile to submit your responses anonymously. You can also go back to the form as many times as you like to update or change your votes. As long as you click the "SUBMIT" button, your responses will be saved and recorded if you need to edit them later. Voting will end on March 6th at 11:59 PM EST

You can also visit AMVawards.org! This new site will help us manage the VCAs and also serve as an archive for AMV contest results.

END films
Org Profile

Post by END films » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:35 am

Gotta say, been nice slowly going through the nom playlists as I've voted. Only have seen a few of these already and has been cool finding AMV's in there I quite enjoyed from anime (and even western cartoons) I wouldn't have searched for AMV's from.

Return to “2024 Viewers' Choice Awards”