2023 VCA Updates, Questions & Feedback Thread

Nominate and vote on all your favorite videos from 2022!
Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

2023 VCA Updates, Questions & Feedback Thread

Post by Kireblue » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:42 am

What are the VCAs?
For over 20 years, the A-M-V.org Viewers Choice Awards have been an annual opportunity to showcase and acknowledge the videos that stand out above the rest. It's a way for fans to say “Thank you” to the creators that put the extra effort into creating videos that are truly exceptional. And so every year, we let the community vote on what videos they thought were the very best from the previous year. There are awards for Best Action, Most Artistic, Editor of the Year, and many more! If you want to see what has won in previous VCAs you can go here to click through the years! and more!

What can compete?
All fan-made Anime Music Videos that first premiered online in 2022 are eligible to participate in the VCAs (even videos that aren't cataloged on A-M-V.org). Traditionally, the A-M-V.org VCAs have been exclusive to fan-made music videos that primarily use animation from Japan, but in recent years, we've decided to open the competition up to all forms of animation. And to have even more inclusiveness we added a "Best Use of Live Action Source" category that will recognize fan-made music videos that use Live Action movies and shows.

How do I nominate videos?
To nominate a video, simply post a link to it in a nomination thread that you feel it is eligible for. The moderation team will then auto-nominate that video for every other category that we feel it fits in. When posting a link to a video, the original YouTube upload is highly preferred. Also, please ensure that the video first premiered in 2022. New for 2023: Each person's Nominations will be limited to 10 per category, and you won't be able to revoke a nomination after submitting it. Nominations after your 10th video in a category will be discarded for that category.

How do I vote?
Once the Nomination period is over, all nominated videos will then be added to a google form. To vote, you simply need to be logged into a google account (Youtube, Gmail, Google Drive, etc), and the voting form will use your profile to anonymously submit your responses. You're also able to go back to the form as many times as you like to update or change your vote. As long as you click the "SUBMIT" button, your responses will be recorded and remembered if you need to edit them later.

You can use the google sheet links in each of the nomination threads to watch whatever videos were nominated for that category. To make finding videos as easy as possible, the document contains separate sheets sorted by each category. If you notice that a video is missing from the sheet or voting list, please let us know as soon as possible.

Nomination Categories
Videos must be nominated for these categories in order to be eligible for Round 1 voting
  • Best Action, Most Artistic, Best Character Profile, Best Comedy, Best Drama, Best Fun, Best Use of Instrumental Music, Best Use of Live Action Source, Best Use of Multiple Sources, Most Original, Best Parody or Commercial, Best Romance, Best Rhythm & Dance, Best Sentimental, Best Short, Best Use of Special Effects, Best Storytelling, Best Thriller, Best Trailer
Non-nomination Categories
All videos and editors nominated for any category will be automatically eligible for Round 1 voting
  • Video of the Year
  • Editor of the Year
VCA Schedule
Nominations: 02/09 - 02/21
Round 1 Voting: 02/23 - 03/07
Round 2 Voting: 03/09 - 03/19
Final Round Voting: 03/21 - 03/28

LIVE Stream of Results: 03/30 @ 8PM EST

All rounds will end on the scheduled day at 11:59pm EST.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: 2023 VCA Updates, Questions & Feedback Thread

Post by Kireblue » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:12 pm

The Nomination Threads have been unlocked!
You're now able to start posting all of your favorite AMVs that premiered in 2022. The nomination period will end at 11:59 pm EST on Tuesday, February 21st.

PerkyPastry
Org Profile

Post by PerkyPastry » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:28 pm

Forgive me if this is out of line as it is not my intention to annoy or otherwise cause distress, but I feel the need to provide this feedback to communicate what I see as an unreasonable expectation to adhere to rules that have not been officially stated.

Above are your rulings in 2021. It doesn't say anywhere that the exception is for that year only, or that it will be different in future years.

Below is the "what can compete" section of the VCA rules for both last year and 2021.

When this year's VCAs were announced, I read the rules to see if there were changes to this section and saw that there were none (it is word for word the exact same), so I was given no reason to think this year would be any different. I operated under these, in my opinion, reasonable assumptions by making sure to upload Family Tree before 02/09, and doing so came with a sacrifice in upload quality that I could have spent more time improving had I known that it would not be eligible to compete anyway.

I have no problem with the rules changing, I understand and for the most part agree with the reasons why you would want to change it, but I think the change should be STATED somewhere before it goes into effect, like how it was stated this year that we can only nominate 10 videos per category. If there is somewhere before this year's nominations that you said it would be different next time around, please let me know. Because otherwise, I don't think I should be expected to ask you a question that you've already answered in the past.

If it's too late to do anything then so be it, I will help to make sure that the change stays consistent across all nominations starting with requesting that Family Tree also be removed from the running if it hasn't already. But in the future I ask that you please state changes like this before the fact, ideally within the rules themselves.

No hard feelings and best wishes for the rest of the VCAs. :cupcake:

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:45 pm

PerkyPastry wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:28 pm
If it's too late to do anything then so be it, I will help to make sure that the change stays consistent across all nominations starting with requesting that Family Tree also be removed from the running if it hasn't already. But in the future I ask that you please state changes like this before the fact, ideally within the rules themselves.
I hadn't noticed that Family Tree had a premiere date of 2023, and so I just removed it.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:48 am

Based on the site's own definition of a premiere date (shown when you enter a video into the catalog), all the POE videos were premiered in 2022, outside of the finals, right? They've been publicly available to view for months, advertised by the Org, and livestreamed on the Org's official Youtube channel. Arguably more "public" than a con that might show a video once or twice in a single weekend (and maybe more viewership depending on the con or how it was held).

The VCAs are at the point where voting is off-site, the videos don't need to be listed here, and it doesn't even have to be anime, seems like some leniency is warranted in this case, too.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:25 am

Ileia wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:48 am
Quoted Image converted to link:
https://i.imgur.com/LiiwW2Y.png

Based on the site's own definition of a premiere date (shown when you enter a video into the catalog), all the POE videos were premiered in 2022, outside of the finals, right? They've been publicly available to view for months, advertised by the Org, and livestreamed on the Org's official Youtube channel. Arguably more "public" than a con that might show a video once or twice in a single weekend (and maybe more viewership depending on the con or how it was held).

The VCAs are at the point where voting is off-site, the videos don't need to be listed here, and it doesn't even have to be anime, seems like some leniency is warranted in this case, too.
None of those guidelines are applicable to the VCAs anymore. The VCAs are no longer hosted on the main site, so only the rules stated on the VCA Page here apply.

Back when the VCAs were restricted to just videos cataloged on the org, a strict adherence to premiere/upload dates wasn't as necessary due to the eligibility of videos being maintained by the site. But now that everything is manual, a strict adherence to upload dates as the premiere date is necessary to prevent videos from slipping through the cracks and participating in multiple years.

Ileia
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:34 am

The VCA Page simply says "premiered online". What does premiere online mean? Available to stream? Like, say, in a Google Drive?

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:53 am

Ileia wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:34 am
The VCA Page simply says "premiered online". What does premiere online mean? Available to stream? Like, say, in a Google Drive?
For the purpose of the VCAs, I'm defining premiered as either individually uploaded to a streaming site (YouTube, Vimeo, etc) or a catalog site (AMVOrg, AMVNews). Videos that were only made available via file-sharing sites like Google Drive or were only made available to watch as a group (as opposed to an individual upload) won't count.

Ileia
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:41 am

That definition isn't in the rules and the expectation had been set that POE videos get a grace period. Obviously changes are just a part of things, I'm not trying to say you're beholden to ye olde Org (the first post was literally about the only definition of premiere date the site offers at all, since the VCAs don't have one listed), and it's not about bamboozling you into letting videos compete multiple years, it's just about being fair to people who were following the rules that they knew about and had been communicated.

I think POE videos should be given a grace period again this year and implement the cutoff next time, more than enough notice.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:00 am

PerkyPastry wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:28 pm
I have no problem with the rules changing, I understand and for the most part agree with the reasons why you would want to change it, but I think the change should be STATED somewhere before it goes into effect, like how it was stated this year that we can only nominate 10 videos per category. If there is somewhere before this year's nominations that you said it would be different next time around, please let me know. Because otherwise, I don't think I should be expected to ask you a question that you've already answered in the past.
Ileia wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:41 am
That definition isn't in the rules and the expectation had been set that POE videos get a grace period. Obviously changes are just a part of things, I'm not trying to say you're beholden to ye olde Org (the first post was literally about the only definition of premiere date the site offers at all, since the VCAs don't have one listed), and it's not about bamboozling you into letting videos compete multiple years, it's just about being fair to people who were following the rules that they knew about and had been communicated.

I think POE videos should be given a grace period again this year and implement the cutoff next time, more than enough notice.
Upon further consideration, I'll go ahead and make an exception for preliminary round Project Org editor videos that were uploaded before February 9th (the start of VCA nominations).

Note: This decision is only being applied to preliminary round POE 2022 videos and shouldn't be expected for next years VCAs or POE 2024. Videos made for the final round are still ineligible since that round didn't start till January 2023. Videos with this exception will be prohibited from participating in the VCAs next year. Also, this will not apply to videos that premiered in other contests like Akross or AWA Pro/Accolades. In the meantime, I'll work on creating a more concrete definition of "premiere" or try to make the working more clear.

As a result, the following videos which were ruled as being ineligible are now eligible:
Integral - no effects version
Play with Fire
Family Tree
Fallen

Return to “2023 Viewers' Choice Awards”