Making use of checksums

SpringBoy
Org Profile

Making use of checksums

Post by SpringBoy » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:59 pm

I was thinking that the site could use something like MD5 checksums to check if files have been transferred correctly - and possibly for other uses. I did a quick search for previous MD5 threads and found out that the Kero server apparently already computes MD5 sums for videos. Wouldn't it be easy to add an MD5 download and/or print it to the download info box?

The main area where I see this as useful is actually for file uploads. It seems to me that downloading a video you just uploaded to check for errors wastes unnecessary bandwidth at both ends. You could change it to accept an MD5 sum for the video and just check the integrity that way.

Plus it could be handy, though not fantastically useful, to have checksums for local downloads as well. I recently spent an entire night downloading the NES Project 2003 (~700MB) only to find that it screwed up after 20 minutes. I could've just checking it right away with an MD5.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:08 pm

This has been suggested before but unfortunately the md5 check happens after the video is confirmed which is when we copy it to the correct place and get all sorts of info from it.

Last time I enquired it was too much of a bitch to setup for checking beforehand.

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”