Site Redesign?

darkflux
Org Profile

Site Redesign?

Post by darkflux » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:54 pm

So, I've been away from this website for quite a few years, and I just recently found my bookmark and decided to see if it still existed. And I noticed the FAQ page, which says:
This website uses many new programming specifications that some (particularly older) browsers may have trouble with. You should upgrade your browser software and, if possible, avoid using proprietary software such as AOL. Recommended browsers for this website are Mozilla, Mozilla Firefox, and Internet Explorer 6+. If you have any specific difficulties with your browser, please post the details on the Site Help forum.
lol

So I did see the post from 2018 ("Please Clap (For The AMVs)"), where one user posted a bunch of (mostly) good ideas, and things were stated implying that changes were underway. But I look at the main site (not the forum), and it doesn't look largely different from the LAST time I had visited...
And also, it is STILL not "mobile-friendly":

Notice how large the address bar text is compared to the page text, then realize that the address bar text on my cell phone is fairly small. How can anyone be expected to read such minuscule scrawlings? It was mentioned there used to be an app, but honestly, you don't NEED an app if you have a responsive website. It's a bit involved to set up, but I've done it in a few days before. I can't believe that over 2 decades have gone by with at least THIS not taken care of. Does nobody here use their cell phones for web browsing? Maybe it's just me.

So I guess I'm asking if there really is any plan to make the website more "up-to-date". I mean, there is absolutely NO trace of Web 2.0 anywhere on the site, and a lot of it is just as poorly organized as it was when I used to use it. I remember a lot of the minor annoyances on the site that I had, and they still seem to be just as present. Is there a list of what has changed? Is there some reason I'm missing that this couldn't be changed? Do you need advice? Because I am pretty well versed in website design. I've even built sites from scratch. And I realize that this site has some pretty advanced functionalities that might be tricky to duplicate. But at what point do you just say "Okay, let's just make a Wordpress site and be done with it"?

So yeah, just curious what if any status for ACTUAL updates to the website are there, and is there a dedicated location to the status and/or accomplishments made? Sign-up for assistance needed?

Thanks, and good luck :)
"imitation is the highest form of copyright infringement" - me

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: Site Redesign?

Post by Kireblue » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:50 am

Your criticisms aren't wrong. In terms of visual updates for the main site, there haven't really been any. But it's not from a complete lack of trying. There has been a number of attempts at a site redesign over the years, but those plans fell through for various reasons. And although at this point, a visual update would be simpler than a full site redesign, the members of the admin team that had the knowledge to apply those updates have moved on from the hobby and are only really contacted in emergency situations.

My jurisdiction is primarily focused on the forum and the news feed on the main page, but the site redesign is something that I constantly keep in mind. And so hopefully, I'll be able to find a solution to this problem soon. But as of right now, things are mostly in stasis.

darkflux
Org Profile

Post by darkflux » Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:19 pm

Great! So where do I sign up? 😄

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:02 pm

darkflux wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:19 pm
Great! So where do I sign up? 😄
There isn't really signups, but if you have experience with web design and are interested in helping, can you PM me examples of your work/ qualifications? The main reason why the redesign has been at such a standstill is due to the process being handled by only the org's admins and most trusted members, and that's unlikely to change even now. But at the very least, I can discuss it with the moderation team in our next meeting.

darkflux
Org Profile

Post by darkflux » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:31 pm

Okay, I will compile a list of some of the projects I've worked on and send you a PM soon.
Cheers...

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”