Browsing AMVs possible?

Majamulli
Org Profile

Browsing AMVs possible?

Post by Majamulli » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:59 am

Hey guys and girls,

I haven't been active here for quite some time and am looking for good AMVs I missed in the last years. Right now I am going through the VCAs and there's some gems in there but there are so many great AMVs out there that I might have missed. I would love to have the option to browse through AMVs sorted by most hits or best opinions or most downloads or anything like that but I couldn't find anything like it.

Does it exist somewhere and did I just miss it?

seasons
Org Profile

Re: Browsing AMVs possible?

Post by seasons » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:28 pm

If you go to the Super Search, choose the year you want in the "Premiered" field (sadly, I don't think you can select a range of years here) and then order the search results by stars, you might get results close to what you're looking for.

That being said, most of the video sharing on this site is done in the announcement forum where 99 times out of 100, editors are posting links to their videos on YouTube, and no one is downloading, rating with stars, leaving opinions or even clicking on the individual profiles for the videos that are posted in the database. So I don't think that at this time there is a truly accurate way to see what videos have been the biggest hits around here for the past few years or really even the past decade.

VCA results over the years can be found here but that only goes up until two or three years ago. An even more comprehensive list that does include the past few years of winners can be found here: https://sites.google.com/view/amv-awards/past-winners

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:30 pm

If you want to view the top rated videos of all time on the site, you can click here. But unfortunately, due to the way the list is calculated, the the threshold that's needed to be included, it only works when you select "all years".

Majamulli
Org Profile

Post by Majamulli » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:15 pm

seasons wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:28 pm
If you go to the Super Search, choose the year you want in the "Premiered" field (sadly, I don't think you can select a range of years here) and then order the search results by stars, you might get results close to what you're looking for.
I tried this but can't order the search results by starts which makes this method unusable sadly, else it would've been quite good.
seasons wrote:
That being said, most of the video sharing on this site is done in the announcement forum where 99 times out of 100, editors are posting links to their videos on YouTube, and no one is downloading, rating with stars, leaving opinions or even clicking on the individual profiles for the videos that are posted in the database. So I don't think that at this time there is a truly accurate way to see what videos have been the biggest hits around here for the past few years or really even the past decade.
Damn, I've been checking youtube and stuff but finding the gems is hard so I was hoping for this awesome website to help me. I just saw the amount of videos uploaded here has been steadily going down so yeah, that's sad.

seasons wrote:
VCA results over the years can be found here but that only goes up until two or three years ago. An even more comprehensive list that does include the past few years of winners can be found here: https://sites.google.com/view/amv-awards/past-winners
I used this already, and found something nice. If you click on a year (in this case VCA 2016) you can navigate to the next VCA results cause on the top of the page you have the buttons 2015 Results and 2017 Results... That way you can navigate even to the newer VCA results. Been doing that and checking the videos (and I still have a lot to go so I am good for now, but still :D)
Kireblue wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:30 pm
If you want to view the top rated videos of all time on the site, you can click here. But unfortunately, due to the way the list is calculated, the the threshold that's needed to be included, it only works when you select "all years".
Interesting but I noticed that those are all the "old" videos that I mostly know already. Newer stuff is not included for some reason. Even "newerish" stuff seems to be missing, not sure why. For example "Into the Labyrinth" isn't on the list even though it's from 2013 (quite old already) and has good ratings. So yeah, while it's a great list by itself it's sadly not as helpful as I would've liked.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:54 pm

Majamulli wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:15 pm
For example "Into the Labyrinth" isn't on the list even though it's from 2013 (quite old already) and has good ratings. So yeah, while it's a great list by itself it's sadly not as helpful as I would've liked.
"Into the Labyrinth" is one of the most popular AMVs of all time but there are a few factors that will keep it off that list forever.

1. AMVs from the earliest years of this site dominate the all time highest rated list because users were forced to download them in order to watch them (until the arrival of YouTube) and (more importantly) users were forced to rate them before being allowed to download more AMVs. Once YouTube arrived, there was no incentive for viewers to do this at all unless they wanted to download a copy of the video for their personal, offline use. So feedback left in the form of opinions, quick comments and even stars steadily dropped year after year beginning in 2006. Videos from the 2010s that were either groundbreaking in their creativity or would go on to experience great popularity on YouTube may have received almost no feedback or literally no feedback at all on this site. There was no incentive for viewers to take the time to provide it.

2. Viewer scores for "Into the Labyrinth," high as they might have been on average, paled in comparison in terms of volume to even an average AMV uploaded to the site back in 2002-2008 (an arbitrary time period I'm just kind of picking but one that represents the most active era of this site). Number of scores provided for a video is a factor in determining what overall rating a video would receive according to the formula used to rank the "top AMVs" on this site.

2.5 Oh wait, reasons #1 and #2 are kind of the same, aren't they?

3. Videos entered in the early days of this site may have received high scores that they wouldn't if they were being freshly released today. There are many possible reasons for this, some of which may be unfair to those older AMVs, some of which are not. But let's face it, they received HIGH scores back in the day and no one is going back to watch them now and giving them the 3/5 or the 2/5 they probably deserved. So their amazing scores are pretty much set in stone and will never go down.

There's probably a better way to explain this but that's just off the top of my head, take it with a grain of salt.

Majamulli
Org Profile

Post by Majamulli » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:31 pm

seasons wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:54 pm
Spoiler :
Majamulli wrote:
For example "Into the Labyrinth" isn't on the list even though it's from 2013 (quite old already) and has good ratings. So yeah, while it's a great list by itself it's sadly not as helpful as I would've liked.
"Into the Labyrinth" is one of the most popular AMVs of all time but there are a few factors that will keep it off that list forever.

1. AMVs from the earliest years of this site dominate the all time highest rated list because users were forced to download them in order to watch them (until the arrival of YouTube) and (more importantly) users were forced to rate them before being allowed to download more AMVs. Once YouTube arrived, there was no incentive for viewers to do this at all unless they wanted to download a copy of the video for their personal, offline use. So feedback left in the form of opinions, quick comments and even stars steadily dropped year after year beginning in 2006. Videos from the 2010s that were either groundbreaking in their creativity or would go on to experience great popularity on YouTube may have received almost no feedback or literally no feedback at all on this site. There was no incentive for viewers to take the time to provide it.

2. Viewer scores for "Into the Labyrinth," high as they might have been on average, paled in comparison in terms of volume to even an average AMV uploaded to the site back in 2002-2008 (an arbitrary time period I'm just kind of picking but one that represents the most active era of this site). Number of scores provided for a video is a factor in determining what overall rating a video would receive according to the formula used to rank the "top AMVs" on this site.

2.5 Oh wait, reasons #1 and #2 are kind of the same, aren't they?

3. Videos entered in the early days of this site may have received high scores that they wouldn't if they were being freshly released today. There are many possible reasons for this, some of which may be unfair to those older AMVs, some of which are not. But let's face it, they received HIGH scores back in the day and no one is going back to watch them now and giving them the 3/5 or the 2/5 they probably deserved. So their amazing scores are pretty much set in stone and will never go down.

There's probably a better way to explain this but that's just off the top of my head, take it with a grain of salt.
I get all that but that's not the case here... at least not from what I can tell.

In the list there are videos included which have less ops than Into the Labyrinth and have a worse score. So neither would be the reason for it not being in that list. Thus I can only assume the list either works differently than assumed (it looks like the score of the ops defines if a video gets into that list, but then Into the Labyrinth should be included) or that videos newer than a certain date aren't included, or it has something to do with how videos are uploaded / rated / I dunno...

As an example: Place 506 in the list is Twist of Fate by JaddziaDax, 11 ops with an average score of 9,04. Into the Labyrinth has 13 ops with an average score of 9,27. No idea why or how but to get back to the main topic, that's the reason why I sadly cant use that list.

Into the Labyrinth was just an example since it is indeed a very very popular AMV that was easy to search for just to see whether AMVs like that are included in the list.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:55 pm

Majamulli wrote:
seasons wrote:
I tried this but can't order the search results by starts which makes this method unusable sadly, else it would've been quite good.
I think the extra search features that we're talking about a restricted to donators and that's why you're not seeing it

Majamulli
Org Profile

Post by Majamulli » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:23 am

That's good to know, might as well just donate again, wanted to anyway since I am planning to download a lot here. :)

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:11 am

Majamulli wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:23 am
That's good to know, might as well just donate again, wanted to anyway since I am planning to download a lot here. :)
But on that note, downloads are temporarily disabled while we finish fixing a connection issue that we had a few weeks ago. Hopefully it'll be back really soon though

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”