Editing Posts (suggestion)

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Editing Posts (suggestion)

Post by SQ » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:24 pm

This is just a personal pet peeve.

I understand why you guys don't want the edit tool for everyone. I get it. However, when every forum outside of the .org offers post editing, it really is extremely frustrating that the Org doesn't have it for all forums and/or all people.

Personally I disagree with the reasons of not wanting an edit button (malicious edits). If someone is doing malicious edits, they should be banned. The majority should not be punished for the few who may or may not abuse the edit function.

But there are compromises that can be made to allow the edit function for everyone yet still have some control over it.

1. Give edit button for all forums for only donators, or only donators of a certain tier. I think you do this already, but I'm not positive.

2. Give everyone the ability to edit, but keep X amount of revisions on file.

3. My preferred option: Time-locked edits. Editing any of your posts anywhere can be done for the first X minutes after a post has been published. Afterward, you can no longer edit the post. I go to a site that has a 2 minute edit lock, I think that's just a little too short but otherwise the system has worked really well.

4. Some frankencombination of all the above.

I'm unsure if PhpBB supports time-locked edits, but maybe there's an add on if it doesn't do it natively.

Either way, this post is brought to you by me forgetting we couldn't edit things and making a really embarrassing typo in a thread title that I hate myself for.
Enjoy.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Re: Editing Posts (suggestion)

Post by SQ » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:31 pm

Also wanted to add I noticed the forum changes you made recently and I really appreciate it =)
StandardQuip

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:35 pm

Over a year ago, I actually tried to give everyone the ability to edit posts for the first 5 minutes after they make it, but doing that caused donators to loose the ability to edit posts after that time frame. I'll look into trying to get that feature to work again without limiting donators.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:42 pm

Awesome. Thank you! =)
StandardQuip

EvilLok
Org Profile

Editing Posts suggestion

Post by EvilLok » Sun May 26, 2019 7:39 pm

I understand a no edit on old posts. This is prone to create misunderstandings and at worst, questionnable behavior.
I wish editing and deleting allowed on the last post with no time limit.
Feel free to move my opinion to a new thread.

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”