Winners of the 2008 Viewers' Choice Awards! [+ post mortem]

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:36 pm

Perhaps I am in the minority, but I'd prefer we *not* be given the vote totals. I have a feeling it'll just create more drama.

I'd be fine with blanket statements and non-descript things like "In the Drama category, it was very close with XY% separating 1st, 2nd and 3rd," but not the actual numbers or who was 2nd, 3rd, etc.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:42 pm

dwchang wrote:Perhaps I am in the minority, but I'd prefer we *not* be given the vote totals. I have a feeling it'll just create more drama.
Drama over? How many votes person X got more than person Y? Or people doing statistical analysis to the results (especially if they're given as a vote/time graphs) to suggest evidence of "ballot stuffing" or something along those lines?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:42 pm

AMV competitions, the reputable ones anyways, generally have minimum guidelines that must be met before an AMV will be considered for any kind of finalist/semi-finalist status. Why? Because - I assume - to place individuals who dotted all their i's and crossed all their t's behind individuals who failed to do this, but might just be popular among the masses, is not fair.

/me deletes lengthy rant about messed up aspect ratios and subtitled footage being allowed past the front door of the VCAs.

That said, I otherwise thought the improvements to this year's competition were great and I hope it continues in the future. :)

Darius GQ
Org Profile

Post by Darius GQ » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:44 pm

My congratulations to all winners :wink:

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:52 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
dwchang wrote:Perhaps I am in the minority, but I'd prefer we *not* be given the vote totals. I have a feeling it'll just create more drama.
Drama over? How many votes person X got more than person Y? Or people doing statistical analysis to the results (especially if they're given as a vote/time graphs) to suggest evidence of "ballot stuffing" or something along those lines?
I won't go into any details (as to not create drama), but I know of multiple incidents where it was VERY close and folks who thought they were 2nd and were not even close. I could easily see that generating drama like "OMFG HOW CAN XYZ BE 2ND AND NOT ME?!??!"

It's an extreme case, but with this community, I wouldn't be surprised.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

JCD
Lord of the Dance
Org Profile

Post by JCD » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:49 pm

8-)

The year I care least about the VCA (only exception maybe 2002), I win for the first time. Awesome.

Out of curiousity, are there any prices this year? If not, that's fine :>

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:56 pm

P.S. I like the ribbon. Whose idea was that? It's neat.

CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Post by CorpseGoddess » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:24 pm

DriftRoot wrote:AMV competitions, the reputable ones anyways, generally have minimum guidelines that must be met before an AMV will be considered for any kind of finalist/semi-finalist status. Why? Because - I assume - to place individuals who dotted all their i's and crossed all their t's behind individuals who failed to do this, but might just be popular among the masses, is not fair.

/me deletes lengthy rant about messed up aspect ratios and subtitled footage being allowed past the front door of the VCAs.

That said, I otherwise thought the improvements to this year's competition were great and I hope it continues in the future. :)
I have to say I was shocked to see this in the finals this year. But I guess the viewers wanted subtitles, so.... :roll:

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:34 pm

JCD wrote:8-)

The year I care least about the VCA (only exception maybe 2002), I win for the first time. Awesome.

Out of curiousity, are there any prices this year? If not, that's fine :>
That's what happens when you don't pay attention :P

Vlad

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:51 pm

Thanks for the comments and the encouragement, guys! I don't have much time to address everything right now (real life is busy too blah blah blah), but I can quickly respond to the following:
JCD wrote:Out of curiousity, are there any prices this year? If not, that's fine :>
We were planning to give out physical prizes, but right now it depends on whether we can get a hold of Phade for funds.
Fall_Child42 wrote:P.S. I like the ribbon. Whose idea was that? It's neat.
That was Doki's idea. :)
Vlad wrote:The Job's all yours now (for many years to come hopefully!)
Aw man, what have I gotten myself into?
/me plots to trick some other mod into running the contest.

Return to “Site Announcements”