State of the Viewers Choice Awards

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Re: State of the Viewers Choice Awards

Post by Rider4Z » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:07 pm

I'm open to bribes if you don't get any nominations.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:20 pm

Cenit wrote:It’s super awesome that Kionon at some point thanked you that the forum is still around but he and your other mods are basically the only "community" left.
1. I apologise, I accidentally messed up your post, Cenit, but I fixed it. I meant to quote you, not in anyway censor or edit your post.

2. Please don't include me in this spat. I didn't do anything to be involved in it.

3. She. Maybe this was a typo or an oversight, or you just didn't realise, but I want to make this clear for other readers.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:49 pm

While I welcome the idea of change to help improve the VCAs, the new system seems to actually make some of the flaws of the old system worse, which I say having no horse in this race. Overall I think the time between now and next year should be used to think of a system that actually improves things overall.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:41 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:While I welcome the idea of change to help improve the VCAs, the new system seems to actually make some of the flaws of the old system worse, which I say having no horse in this race. Overall I think the time between now and next year should be used to think of a system that actually improves things overall.
Which flaws do you believe were made worse?

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:06 pm

Kireblue wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:While I welcome the idea of change to help improve the VCAs, the new system seems to actually make some of the flaws of the old system worse, which I say having no horse in this race. Overall I think the time between now and next year should be used to think of a system that actually improves things overall.
Ignoring the fact that most ppl don't watch all the videos posted each year...at least before there was a list of all the videos from that year all in one place. There are often videos you forget about, so limiting nominations to just what you remember the next year or see in the nominations threads may leave some videos out based on them just people either forgetting about them or not even thinking they qualify because maybe they came out through Akross 2016, but were actually released in 2017.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:28 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
Kireblue wrote:
Ignoring the fact that most ppl don't watch all the videos posted each year...at least before there was a list of all the videos from that year all in one place. There are often videos you forget about, so limiting nominations to just what you remember the next year or see in the nominations threads may leave some videos out based on them just people either forgetting about them or not even thinking they qualify because maybe they came out through Akross 2016, but were actually released in 2017.
At the top of each of the category threads, there was a reminder that you can still use the catalog to see all the videos that were posted on the site last year. And each thread had a different link that took you to a predefined search query for 2017 and that specific category. For example, here is the action one
Kireblue wrote: Best Action Video Thread
*And don't forget, you can use the org's search function to filter cataloged videos by year and category
And here is the Video of the year one that shows all of the videos cataloged in 2017 regardless of their category (just like how the old voting system did)
Kireblue wrote: Video of the Year Thread
*And don't forget, you can use the org's search function to filter cataloged videos by year and category
Do you feel that these links weren't predominant enough in the post? For next year, we could also provide links to an equivalent query on AMVNews since they also have a search feature. Turbo actually did a great job at posting videos in the threads from that.

Do you feel that making a faux button at the top of each post (that links to the search page) would fix this problem? And are there any other things that you feel were made worse?

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:43 pm

The link about searches was buried in the sea of text and the search vs a list is a bit more obnoxious to go through. For example, action alone would require going through 30 pages just to see everything. While I would rarely consider anything about the main site simplified, the VCA process was pretty streamlined and easy follow with very little clarification needed from page to page.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:17 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:The link about searches was buried in the sea of text and the search vs a list is a bit more obnoxious to go through. For example, action alone would require going through 30 pages just to see everything. While I would rarely consider anything about the main site simplified, the VCA process was pretty streamlined and easy follow with very little clarification needed from page to page.
Thank you for posting your critique. I'll look into ways to have a list of all the cataloged videos available for next year's VCAs. One possible solution could simply be using the site's old voting system to generate the webpages with the categorized lists, and then posting those links in the forum even though the old system wouldn't actually be active. Probably could have even done that this year if the suggestion had been made during the nomination period.

spoondiddly
Org Profile

Post by spoondiddly » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:53 pm

I've actually been using the spreadsheets of links because the YT playlists stopped working after a recent Failfox update a couple days ago. The playlists had been rather useful up until then, and it's my fault sticking to this blasted browser. Links were easy enough to find, considering they were in massive bold just before the checklist of nominees, and needed to check them anyway since not all videos had YT links and it's more convenient than searching for the nomination post.

It is sort of a shame the previews aren't through here, but also must save a lot of bandwidth.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:32 am

spoondiddly wrote:I've actually been using the spreadsheets of links because the YT playlists stopped working after a recent Failfox update a couple days ago. The playlists had been rather useful up until then, and it's my fault sticking to this blasted browser. Links were easy enough to find, considering they were in massive bold just before the checklist of nominees, and needed to check them anyway since not all videos had YT links and it's more convenient than searching for the nomination post.

It is sort of a shame the previews aren't through here, but also must save a lot of bandwidth.
I'm having that problem as well on Chrom. I hadn't realized that they stopped working till you mentioned it in this post. So thank you for that. I've just added urls to each playlist in the threads, and I'm currently looking into what is causing them to not work anymore. Hope to have a fix in place by the end of the day

Edit: Also added playlist links to the spreadsheets

Edit 2: Figured out why the playlists stopped working. Will fix them shortly

Edit 3: All playlists have now been fixed

Return to “Site Announcements”