IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Moving to the new server...

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Moving to the new server...

Post by derobert » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:20 pm

Tonight, I'm going to try to get the site moved over to the new server. I'm hoping not to leave the site *too* broken... but it has to happen tonight, because Phade doesn't want to pay for any more colo for the old servers—so going to be removing them tomorrow afternoon.

The new web server, pointed to the old database, seems to work. Nothing switched over yet...

UPDATE: If you're seeing this, you're on the new server. We've switched over. Other than the web site, most stuff is currently broken, including video downloads and uploads. It's currently 4AM here—planning on getting the video downloads (and streaming) working again Saturday afternoon/evening, and uploads sometime next week.

UPDATE 2016-08-07T07-04:00: Downloads are taking a bit longer than expected. But should be back today. Streaming will take longer, turns out that data didn't get copied from Kero before turning it off (oops). Alternatively, we might re-encode instead—that'll also up quality quite a bit.

UPDATE 2016-08-07T16-04:00: Local downloads are back. Streaming still isn't, and uploads aren't being accepted yet. Both of those are going to be at least a few days. PS: We supposedly have a lot more bandwidth—I'm curious how everyone's download speeds are.
Key 55EA59FE; fingerprint = E501 CEE3 E030 2D48 D449 274C FB3F 88C2 55EA 59FE
A mighty order of ages is born anew.              http://twitter.com/derobert

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: Moving to the new server...

Post by Scintilla » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:53 am

derobert wrote:UPDATE: If you're seeing this, you're on the new server. We've switched over.
Huzzah!
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

crusaderadam2
Org Profile

Post by crusaderadam2 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:23 am

derobert wrote:UPDATE 2016-08-07T07-04:00: Downloads are taking a bit longer than expected. But should be back today. Streaming will take longer, turns out that data didn't get copied from Kero before turning it off (oops). Alternatively, we might re-encode instead—that'll also up quality quite a bit.
About that ... I'm unable to download or even see the Hyperactive AMV of Miscellanious Brain Damage Suite by FoxJones for some time now (by some time means weeks)...
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=87995

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

Post by derobert » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:54 pm

crusaderadam2 wrote:About that ... I'm unable to download or even see the Hyperactive AMV of Miscellanious Brain Damage Suite by FoxJones for some time now (by some time means weeks)...
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=87995
Does it still occur on the new server (which is working as of a few minutes ago?) It works for me...

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:33 pm

dl works for me for that vid, but preview doesn't
Still better than that MMO.

xemion
Org Profile

Post by xemion » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:46 am

Local downloads is still not working :(

synbad2
Org Profile

Post by synbad2 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:49 am

Downloads are fine, but I came here from an upload error message

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

Post by derobert » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:10 pm

Uploads aren't back yet. Sorry, I had to catch up on all the other stuff I had to put off to get the server change ready in time :-(

ChronoWraith
Org Profile

Post by ChronoWraith » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:13 pm

Thanks for all the work so far, is there a new ETA yet for the rest of the features coming back online?
<----Place Holder---->

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

Post by derobert » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:21 am

Not really an ETA yet. I actually need to write up and ask a question on Unix Stack Exchange to see if anyone has any idea how to do something.

(if anyone has any idea: basically, I'm trying to figure out how to set a non-trivial user id mapping in a systemd-nspawn container. It appears the kernel can map most users to a big block, but carve out a few to do specially—but I haven't figured out how to with systemd-nspawn. Want this to share files between containers.)

Uploads will come back first—probably FTP, then web shortly after (I seem to recall the web upload code actually talks to the FTP server—if not, web may come first). Streaming will be next—the big hurdle there is I either need to get Phade to hook back up & turn on Kero so I can copy the encodes off, or alternatively re-encode them all. Re-encode them all will take a while (as in months, but of course we'll start with the popular ones, or ones that are requested, or something like that), but would give us an excellent opportunity to up the video quality.

(Sorry about this—personally I would have liked waiting longer to cut over. But Phade had a really compelling argument: it halved our hosting costs, upped our bandwidth by 10×, and its a much faster server.)

Return to “Site Announcements”