Spring Cleaning: Doing the Org's Work

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Re: Spring Cleaning: Doing the Org's Work

Post by Niotex » Sun May 24, 2015 2:29 am

If I could get some sort of coherent response to my last post, that'd be appreciated. Or do I need to post captioned images or meme in order to get any kind of response? Seeing as that seems to be the way these things work around here lately.

Now we wait :roll:

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Sun May 24, 2015 10:07 am

Niotex wrote:If I could get some sort of coherent response to my last post, that'd be appreciated. Or do I need to post captioned images or meme in order to get any kind of response? Seeing as that seems to be the way these things work around here lately.

Well, you are asking for minutia details on what is going to happen and doing so in a quite accusational tone. Neither of these invite a warm or timely response.

However, regardless of what has happened in the past, I can assure you that we are making actual progress now. One thing that I am reviewing this weekend is distributed project management packages so that everyone will know openly what is going on and who is responsible for doing each piece. In the past when someone volunteered to help, we kept them unannounced until there was some product of their work to show. The thought there was we did not want to embarrass individuals for volunteering and then not completing what they said they would do. With the new public project information, this should change things so that volunteers are more excited to work on projects until completion by getting more constant positive encouragement from the community at large.

Once project management is in place, we are likely to tackle the video upload portion next. Using a separate FTP program to upload files was fine in 2001, but uploading via web browser is now much more efficient especially with a much greater availability of dedicated home bandwidth (opposed to mostly dial-up connections back in the day). Along with the file upload, we are likely to revamp the video information entry system while we are at it.

All people working on the site have been volunteers. There are no plans to change this approach. All funds raised go directly towards keeping the site running (hosting, hardware, etc). The only major non-server related thing the site pays for is an accountant doing taxes; the last thing I want is the IRS knocking on my door because I messed up something with the tax code. :-\ Other than that, every person working on the site has been on a volunteer basis since the beginning of the Org. I don't get paid to do this (heck, I'm dropping a grand on the site right now).

As for everything else, things should be clear when the project management package is in place. If you would like to help, you could help us review project management packages. We need the to easily and clearly handle multiple distributed parallel project tasks and dependencies concerning site code base, server maintenance, site design, general bug reports, and anything else that may need to be done (a phone app could be cool). You could also help review not only physical servers but hosting alternatives such as VM or cloud hosting options, other general physical hosting places, and things like that so we are getting the best deal on bandwidth. The more people looking for awesome deals, the better. :-) If you find something good, please start a new forum topic thread so that this one can stay on a general discussion of what is upcoming.

For the immediate future, we need to concentrate on fund raising. It is something that is only raised highly (not just the nag screen) like now once every few years. If you or anyone else have ideas on how to make the fund raising project for the next few weeks more successful, please let me know and I'll see what I can do to make this more successful! :-D

Thanks and again and have a great day! ^_^

Phade.

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Sun May 24, 2015 10:17 am

Niotex wrote:If I could get some sort of coherent response to my last post, that'd be appreciated. Or do I need to post captioned images or meme in order to get any kind of response? Seeing as that seems to be the way these things work around here lately.

Quoted Image converted to link:
https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Grrrreat ... sTLmMIlImA

I have to agree your tone is counter productive
Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated...

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Sun May 24, 2015 7:36 pm

Phade wrote:Well, you are asking for minutia details on what is going to happen and doing so in a quite accusational tone. Neither of these invite a warm or timely response.
You're asking for a hefty sum without any clear plan that outlines the usage of the funds. While also being notoriously absent from anything that pertains to the community as it has existed in the last decade. Of course I'm going to be critical and even hostile in order to get my answers, I have to claw at you to get them. Alas it's only scraps again but I'll have to make due.
Phade wrote:For the immediate future, we need to concentrate on fund raising. It is something that is only raised highly (not just the nag screen) like now once every few years. If you or anyone else have ideas on how to make the fund raising project for the next few weeks more successful, please let me know and I'll see what I can do to make this more successful! :-D
A progress bar with milestones for possible server configurations and what benefits they have for the site as a whole. Might push people to drop that extra cash if "x" feature is only a few hundred away. Anything to make the donation drive a little more tangible for the average user.
MaboroshiStudio wrote:I have to agree your tone is counter productive
:shrug:

Gene Starwind 21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by Gene Starwind 21122 » Mon May 25, 2015 10:55 am

I'm really don't know much about websites. However if there is anything I could help with please let me know. I'll be donating as well. At least $20 a week. I'll try and see if I can donate more than that.

I'm happy to see the plan in motion. I've been around here a long time and would love to see the org revived. Hopefully we all can make this a place for all the editors to gather again.
No matter what, stay calm, stay cool and live life to the fullest.
Plus as Gene would say always go big in life.
Anime Mid Atlantic AMV Contest Coordinator 2007-2011
Katsucon AMV Contest Coordinator 2010-2011
T-Mode Contest Coordinator 2013
Nekocon AMV Contest Coordinator 2014

Elcalavero
Org Profile

Post by Elcalavero » Mon May 25, 2015 12:41 pm

How about a Fundraiser for Website Redesign similar to the Servers Fundraiser.
Use Donations/Money to pay a Web Design Business/Corporation/Company to redesign the site instead of volunteers.
Im not saying I know such companies, Im just throwing out that suggestion.

davenfonet
Org Profile

Post by davenfonet » Tue May 26, 2015 2:52 pm

Phade,

I'd be happy to help

I'm a professional IT guy/Project Coordinator in my day job and I work heavily with website design and implementation companies (this means I support high traffic servers and setting them up to not break under load), but this means I don't have a ton of free time to donate. Please PM me for more info, but I can happily provide whatever info you are looking for, helping you with timelines, build info, or server setup/prep stuff etc.

It sounds like everyone here is interested in getting something better then what is here, but aren't in agreement about how to do it.

I'm not sure if i'm the right person for your team but I'm happy to try to help it along.
The ToddFather

Shinzui IT
The sexy Artist
Org Profile

Post by Shinzui IT » Wed May 27, 2015 2:02 am

Oh I like where this is going. I could possibly help with web design, but sadly I don't think I would be able to since I have not done it in so long nor do I have the time for it. Hope this moves forward and I can help donating for this.

Farlo
expectations of deliberate annihilation
Org Profile

Post by Farlo » Wed May 27, 2015 2:23 pm

need help de-duping musical artists?

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu May 28, 2015 3:25 am

Farlo wrote:need help de-duping musical artists?
If you have few hundreds hours - honestly, the music list is a huge mess and you'd probably need few clones to be able to manage it. It will likely be revised how it works in future.

Thanks for the offer, though~

Return to “Site Announcements”