The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Locked
User avatar
CrazyDreamer
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 8:00 pm
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Post by CrazyDreamer » Fri May 22, 2015 5:17 pm

Niotex wrote: Uhh.. I'm bouncing off of the information that's given to me. :|
Phade wrote:We're still debating the exact configuration, but a single server with dual quad octo-core Xeon processors, 64GB ram, dual SSDs for system, and a big array of storage drives is in the $12-15k range. We could then segment the server for specific functions. That or we could go with different physical servers or something else.
Ah, missed that when going back and checking. What I get for posting when tired. Thanks.

User avatar
CrazyDreamer
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 8:00 pm
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Post by CrazyDreamer » Fri May 22, 2015 5:25 pm

Phade wrote:We do currently have individual distinct physical servers for the functions listed. One replacement option is to have one big beef box that will do all of the site functions in one machine. Other options would have site functions in separate physical boxes with varying prices (more processing power for the database server, more disks in the storage and streaming servers, and so on). All of this depends on how much funds we can raise. My goal is to get very high quality machine(s) that will last very reliably for a very long time. We'll know how close we get to that goal over the next six weeks. :-)
Okay, so as I read this, funds raised will determine whether we can afford to purchased additional servers dedicated to specific tasks, but those would possibly be cheaper models because they don't need as much in some areas.

User avatar
Phade
Site Admin
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2000 10:49 pm
Location: Little cabin in the woods...
Org Profile

Re: The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Post by Phade » Fri May 22, 2015 7:47 pm

CrazyDreamer wrote: Okay, so as I read this, funds raised will determine whether we can afford to purchased additional servers dedicated to specific tasks, but those would possibly be cheaper models because they don't need as much in some areas.
The amount of funds raised will determine the possible server or servers configurations. Server longevity is the goal. Any leftover funds will go towards normal monthly hosting costs so that the servers can stay on the web. :-)

User avatar
SQ
Doesn't have a title
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2002 8:11 pm
Status: VERY CRAPPY INTERNET
Location: Upstate NY
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Post by SQ » Fri May 22, 2015 8:57 pm

Phade:

So just to be totally 100% absolutely clear, if someone had a local video (confirmed and all that) but then it was made "unavailable" later, it will still be on this drive?
StandardQuip

User avatar
Dr. Derpface, J.D.
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:27 pm
Status: Dictator Emeritus: Samarui Warrierz Prodstudios
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Post by Dr. Derpface, J.D. » Fri May 22, 2015 9:01 pm

Phade wrote:
CrazyDreamer wrote: Okay, so as I read this, funds raised will determine whether we can afford to purchased additional servers dedicated to specific tasks, but those would possibly be cheaper models because they don't need as much in some areas.
The amount of funds raised will determine the possible server or servers configurations. Server longevity is the goal. Any leftover funds will go towards normal monthly hosting costs so that the servers can stay on the web. :-)
This is where I feel some form of VPS for everything except hosting the actual videos themselves would at least be something to consider (none of them offer THAT much storage, that I'm aware of). Tons of providers to choose from, who all have multiple datacenters, and you're not worrying about spares if something breaks. Not to mention most providers will let you scale up or down easily as needed. Things could start out with some ridiculous setup, then after a while you can look at the traffic and other metrics to see what's actually needed, and scale it back to that to cut back on costs. As traffic goes up, add more resources to handle it, all without having to do much more than change a few settings in a control panel.

Longevity wise, they're always rotating hardware in and out as stuff fails or becomes obsolete, so that's baked into the monthly fees.
Tinnitus

<Fire_Starter> Stirspeare: college=failsauce?
<Stirspeare> Fire_Starter: Electoral college etc.

"Then you weeaboo faggots need to stop thinking that Japan is ZOMG awsmsauce where all ur waifu dreams come true."
-Kionon / Athena - January 12, 2010

User avatar
dazza1008
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:08 pm
Status: n00b-welcomer
Location: Earth.... for now....
Org Profile

Re: The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Post by dazza1008 » Sat May 23, 2015 2:20 am

Well, I've basically not been here for a long time due to not making AMVs, but it's great to see this movement happening. ^__^ I don't think the site's reached anywhere its potential. I've had useful help from the past in the forum because technical stuff isn't my forte. So I've got a soft spot for the site.

Regarding growing its userbase, it'll be interesting to see what user interactivity the new site design will provide. I think it would be good to see quick comments made under vids (I don't think anonymity is necessary... optional at best), because then we can see technical feedback that we might not otherwise see. Without the excessive opinion system, or the fact that only two opinions can be displayed.

Again, regarding the userbase growing... and regarding some possibly harsh feedback that can be given to people in the announcements forum to n00bs... erm... well, I think we all have a responsibility to help others grow... and the site grow... i.e. to not scare people off by sinking them in hellfire the first time they wander over and drop their slapped-together Naruto vid. I know there are some respectful people here, but I know some aren't.

Of course, as the site gets more popular, what's to stop that situation with Evanescence happening again? (the case where the lawyers forced removal of their vids here... at least, I think it was them) As far as I know, the only reason YouTube can host copyrighted music is because of ad revenue being given to copyright holders. Which is why my YT vids aren't being removed like heck. But surely someone's bound to notice?

Phade, one thing that I've never really understood - there are monthly targets to keep the server running, but it seems to always fall short of that goal - how has this place continued to run? Or who's been paying the rest?

User avatar
Dr. Derpface, J.D.
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:27 pm
Status: Dictator Emeritus: Samarui Warrierz Prodstudios
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Post by Dr. Derpface, J.D. » Sat May 23, 2015 7:14 pm

dazza1008 wrote:
Spoiler :
Well, I've basically not been here for a long time due to not making AMVs, but it's great to see this movement happening. ^__^ I don't think the site's reached anywhere its potential. I've had useful help from the past in the forum because technical stuff isn't my forte. So I've got a soft spot for the site.

Regarding growing its userbase, it'll be interesting to see what user interactivity the new site design will provide. I think it would be good to see quick comments made under vids (I don't think anonymity is necessary... optional at best), because then we can see technical feedback that we might not otherwise see. Without the excessive opinion system, or the fact that only two opinions can be displayed.

Again, regarding the userbase growing... and regarding some possibly harsh feedback that can be given to people in the announcements forum to n00bs... erm... well, I think we all have a responsibility to help others grow... and the site grow... i.e. to not scare people off by sinking them in hellfire the first time they wander over and drop their slapped-together Naruto vid. I know there are some respectful people here, but I know some aren't.

Of course, as the site gets more popular, what's to stop that situation with Evanescence happening again? (the case where the lawyers forced removal of their vids here... at least, I think it was them) As far as I know, the only reason YouTube can host copyrighted music is because of ad revenue being given to copyright holders. Which is why my YT vids aren't being removed like heck. But surely someone's bound to notice?

Phade, one thing that I've never really understood - there are monthly targets to keep the server running, but it seems to always fall short of that goal - how has this place continued to run? Or who's been paying the rest?
Most of this post seems to have more to do with site generalities than either of the two threads being discussed currently (i.e. site design and servers). I know it has zero to do with the discussion on server pricing and configuration. Perhaps you should ask to have it to a more appropriate thread?

If it's an honest mistake, fine. But I can't help but feel like it's yet another inactive account coming out of the woodwork to derail the conversation when actual questions or concerns come up... :shrug:
Tinnitus

<Fire_Starter> Stirspeare: college=failsauce?
<Stirspeare> Fire_Starter: Electoral college etc.

"Then you weeaboo faggots need to stop thinking that Japan is ZOMG awsmsauce where all ur waifu dreams come true."
-Kionon / Athena - January 12, 2010

User avatar
Phade
Site Admin
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2000 10:49 pm
Location: Little cabin in the woods...
Org Profile

Re: The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Post by Phade » Sat May 23, 2015 8:23 pm

dazza1008 wrote:Phade, one thing that I've never really understood - there are monthly targets to keep the server running, but it seems to always fall short of that goal - how has this place continued to run? Or who's been paying the rest?
Those goals are actually stupidly old and irrelevant to the normal monthly expenditures. I'll see about fixing that up...

User avatar
Phade
Site Admin
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2000 10:49 pm
Location: Little cabin in the woods...
Org Profile

Re: The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Post by Phade » Sun May 24, 2015 8:33 am


I am now ordering the SECOND hard drive for the full video dump! Yup, another $1000 donation has been made and received!! They did not say if I could release their name yet, so they will remain anonymous until I get an answer.

Keep going! You guys are awesome!! ^_^

Phade.

User avatar
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:32 pm
Status: Breathing
Location: Merrimack, NH
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun May 24, 2015 10:41 am

I hadn't donated anything in 3 years apparently. Never really noticed. Rectified.

User avatar
SQ
Doesn't have a title
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2002 8:11 pm
Status: VERY CRAPPY INTERNET
Location: Upstate NY
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Post by SQ » Sun May 24, 2015 11:12 am

Phade wrote: I am now ordering the SECOND hard drive for the full video dump! Yup, another $1000 donation has been made and received!! They did not say if I could release their name yet, so they will remain anonymous until I get an answer.

Keep going! You guys are awesome!! ^_^

Phade.
Never got an email asking. >_>
Anyway, I'm not sure how large this HDD is (dimensions/weight). Due to my location, you may have to put it in a flat rate box/envelope/whatever to avoid absolutely ridiculous postal rates.

I hope you reach your goal and have good a holiday weekend.

edit: I would advise shipping it priority. There's too much risk of damage otherwise. If you can't make it work, let me know and I'll reimburse you for shipping. Because depending what it ends up, I'd feel really guilty about you paying more than necessary for that, and my donation not being mostly a, well, donation lol.

Thank you for offering the harddrive!
StandardQuip

dragontamer5788
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:07 pm
Org Profile

Re: The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Post by dragontamer5788 » Mon May 25, 2015 3:00 am

Fire_Starter wrote:Here's my idea: Why not go with something like DotBlock for the web server, DB, search, forums, etc. It would involve a monthly fee, but it would still be a lot cheaper overall than buying a bunch of new servers and worrying about hardware replacements if things go wrong. The savings could help make sure that enough hot-spares are on hand for the actual storage/streaming servers so that if things go tits-up, it's covered with no worries. Using a VPS for everything that isn't storage-intensive would save money and eliminate having to buy new hardware ever again.
You can't even compare the beast that Phade posted with even the best-of-the-best server on dotblock. The 2U Xeon blows the highest-end virtual server completely out of the water.

EDIT: Nothing to see here people :aimkissyface: :aimkissyface: :aimkissyface:
Phade wrote:
Niotex wrote:Can you give us a cost analysis and breakdown for the amount you hope to raise?
We're still debating the exact configuration, but a single server with dual quad octo-core Xeon processors, 64GB ram, dual SSDs for system, and a big array of storage drives is in the $12-15k range. We could then segment the server for specific functions. That or we could go with different physical servers or something else. With prices continuously dropping like they do in the server world, we'll get the exact specs when we're done. The goal is to get a machine(s) beefy and reliable enough to last another 6 years of continuous 24/7 AMV-pumping. :-)

Phade.
I had a big post about how Dual Socket Xeons didn't make sense for storage... but then I didn't realize you had a plan to replace _all_ the servers with one massive one. I would suggest actually getting a JBOD expansion and have it tag team with the wtfbbqsauce Dual-Socket E5 Xeon.

24-extra hard drives should be enough, amirite? 4TB Per and with 1/4th being used for spares / parity, that's still 72TB of extra space for ya. I don't exactly know how JBOD works (its probably iSCSI, right?)

In any case, consider saving some money for potential software upgrades as well. Software is surprisingly expensive. You can spend $1000 on just XenForo + some basic mods alone.

User avatar
Gene Starwind 21122
Samurai Master
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2002 2:06 pm
Status: On a continuing mission to make more AMV's
Location: Space!!!!!!!!!!
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Post by Gene Starwind 21122 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:04 am

I'll be donating for sure on Thursday. I'll try and donate $20 a week. I would love to donate more but I got bills and a mortgage.
No matter what, stay calm, stay cool and live life to the fullest.
Plus as Gene would say always go big in life.
Anime Mid Atlantic AMV Contest Coordinator 2007-2011
Katsucon AMV Contest Coordinator 2010-2011
T-Mode Contest Coordinator 2013
Nekocon AMV Contest Coordinator 2014

User avatar
Phade
Site Admin
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2000 10:49 pm
Location: Little cabin in the woods...
Org Profile

Re: The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Post by Phade » Tue May 26, 2015 12:03 pm



He slimed me! Now I have to buy a THIRD hard drive!! :-D

Drive #1 has arrived and the copy has started. Drive #2 is shipping to me now. Drive number #3 is now on order.

Who will be drive #4???

User avatar
Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:29 am
Status: ....to completion
Location: On teh Z-drive, CornDog
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Post by Ileia » Tue May 26, 2015 12:43 pm

That's awesome! :D

Can we get a progress bar or something of the sort going? We're already making good headway!

Locked

Return to “Site Announcements”