The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Kagacie
YEAY I SCREWED FROM THE START,I'M A FAILURE IN LIFE :D
Org Profile

Re: The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Post by Kagacie » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:59 am

Any new updates?
I asked some of the mods and none of had an anwser?
if you just took the money and ran , people will find you :nono:

Liquified
Org Profile

Post by Liquified » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:06 am

Any new updates?
I asked some of the mods and none of had an anwser?
Now im curious... :ying:
"What do you think Doc, am I crazy?"
"It sounds like you have a classic case of Anatidaephobia, which is a fear of being watched by ducks. I recommend that you go to the store, buy many loaves of bread and and feed the ducks. Feed ALL the ducks. FEED THE DUCKS!."
"That's your advice?"
"FEED THEM!"

Dr. Derpface, J.D.
Org Profile

Post by Dr. Derpface, J.D. » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:18 am

Tinnitus

<Fire_Starter> Stirspeare: college=failsauce?
<Stirspeare> Fire_Starter: Electoral college etc.

"Then you weeaboo faggots need to stop thinking that Japan is ZOMG awsmsauce where all ur waifu dreams come true."
-Kionon / Athena - January 12, 2010

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:27 pm

Hullo ?
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

Post by derobert » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:56 pm

I think Phade has been pretty busy, but I'll bug him to provide a proper update ASAP. Probably early next week.

The new backup server is finally running as of last night. Installing new drives (including a new OS drive) turned out to be much more of a fight than expected, the UEFI firmware had to be beaten into submission. Didn't help that the disk clone tool Phade was using failed, due to an (unused) bad sector on the old drive. Overall, having Phade type into the console to fix it took quite a while. (I sent him a command to run, he took a photo with his phone to send the results back, repeat).

But we now have a reliable video and database backup again. (We sort of had them before, but they were held together with chewing gum and duct tape. Probably more gum than duct tape.)
Key 55EA59FE; fingerprint = E501 CEE3 E030 2D48 D449 274C FB3F 88C2 55EA 59FE
A mighty order of ages is born anew.              http://twitter.com/derobert

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:45 am

|:> |:> |:>

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:22 pm

Hey Everyone!

Sorry about the stupidly long delay in replying. Derobert was right, I (and many others on the team) have been really stupidly busy recently.

So.... an update! =^_^=

Like Derobert said, the two of us have been working on getting the new backup server up and running correctly. It has been transformed from an abomination held together by scotch tape and paper mache to a beautiful quiet machine of solid industrial strength cardboard... ummm, fiber board? Plywood. Definitely plywood. ...and bolts! I can stand on the thing and it doesn't break! :-D But seriously, it is much much better than what it was: much more reliable, quiet (Mrs. Phade's favorite feature since the old one sounded like a large and perpetually angry hornets nest), energy efficient (Mrs. Phade's second favorite feature), and should last reliably for a good long time.

We have been evaluating our hosting options: Just getting a new machine and staying where we are, moving hosts with a new machine, and going to a virtual/cloud service. This evaluation process has taken longer than expected since there are so many variables and the Org has specific requirements. We're not quite a "special needs" kinda site, but we do have a fairly efficient front end, fairly hefty database, and a giant gob of storage requirements in the neighborhood of 6TB and growing. All of this needs to happen on a relatively really small budget.

Staying where we are has become less and less desirable as the years have gone by. Our current physical location is in the Washington, DC, area were I used to live. It was convenient at the time to go fix stuff, but now has become expensive compared to other equally reliable hosting cities. Pluses of saying in the current physical location is that Derobert is there to go in and fix stuff whenever things break; minuses is the cost.

Moving to a new location could save us some monthly costs. However if something goes wrong physically, we'll need to have some "remote hands" in there to push our iron around, and that usually costs some cash. Will they be smart enough to diagnose and fix stuff as well as Derobert? Hopefully. Maybe. Possibly. But how much will that cost in the long run in both cash and downtime? Hmmmm...

The virtual machine / cloud thing would forever get rid of us buying, maintaining, and upgrading physical hardware. Super awesome for us! Cloud web front end server: no problem. Cloud database server: not too bad. 6TB+ cloud storage server: outch! That last part is the part that really hurts us in the cloud/VM world. Maybe we could hybrid cloud-physical our stuff. It gets complicated quick.

After checking out lots and lots of places, we are closing in on a solution given our budget. One big goal is to cut our monthly costs for the long run. We are really close to a choice and should have the final decision made after some more testing pans out (we've been really abusing the "Check out our services for the first 30 days for free" thing as much as we can to really see what is behind the curtains).

Again I want to thank everyone for your amazing support! It makes me amazingly glad to see that the AMV community is still alive and kicking and willing to come together to tackle a large goal such as this!!

Phade.

Sephirothskr
One Winged Angel
Org Profile

Post by Sephirothskr » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:53 am

We love you phade <3

Kiriforce
is a pretty lady
Org Profile

Post by Kiriforce » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:00 pm

Touché.

Farlo
expectations of deliberate annihilation
Org Profile

Post by Farlo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:51 pm

what about the actual site? updates to it etc, the main page and members section is a confusing mess. Any updates for the side people actually see?

Return to “Site Announcements”