MPEG-2 Pixelation

Lucia Studios
Org Profile

MPEG-2 Pixelation

Post by Lucia Studios » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:26 pm

Okay, I'm having a bit of an issue. Maybe this is in the wrong forum, but here goes anyway.

I ripped the first disc of Ouran with WinX DVD Ripper Platinum as a DVD-quality MPEG-2. It plays perfectly in media player, but the problem with the file is that it won't load in Vegas Pro 9 for whatever reason Vegas has decided. I thought it was a copyright issue, so I tried converting the file from MPEG-2 to MPEG-2 via Xilisoft Video Converter 6 only to find it pixelated.

I've been trying to convert the video to anything I can think of that Vegas will take, and I still get the same pixelation issue. I've messed with the quality of the video... nothing.

Has anyone had this same problem? Is there anything I can convert a DVD-quality MPEG-2 to without completely killing the picture?

Thanks for any help.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Re: MPEG-2 Pixelation

Post by Kariudo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:29 pm

Read <a href=http://www.a-m-v.org/guides/avtech31/>ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides Lovingly Overhauled Largely by Zarxrax</a>
A good amount of the guide goes over DVDs and how to rip/use them in <editing program here>

Also, lossless codecs are an editor's best friend (and the bane of small hard drives). Lossless = huge files, so encoding an entire series with a lossless codec isn't recommended. Instead, choosing smaller sections of your series (using in & out points in virtualdub) and encoding those with a lossless codec is generally recommended.

One way around that is to edit directly with avisynth files, though that involves a bit more setup (IIRC, the guide does cover that though)

Return to “Site Announcements”