AMV Documentary Project (Help Needed!)

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: AMV Documentary Project (Helped Needed!)

Post by Kionon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:44 am

I'd need to dig, but I think I have stuff from the late nineties/early 2000s. Photos, definitely. Video, maybe not so much.

Also, I've been in Japan for almost a decade and I hadn't even heard of AMV Japan until looking at your staff post. I don't honestly think it's representative of the M@D/AMV Community here, and I'm not even sure how many off the AMV Japan staffers are actually in Japan.

The only editor I speak to regularly in Japan is dokool.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

StarTrinity009
Org Profile

Post by StarTrinity009 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:16 am

Kionon wrote:I'd need to dig, but I think I have stuff from the late nineties/early 2000s. Photos, definitely. Video, maybe not so much.

Also, I've been in Japan for almost a decade and I hadn't even heard of AMV Japan until looking at your staff post. I don't honestly think it's representative of the M@D/AMV Community here, and I'm not even sure how many off the AMV Japan staffers are actually in Japan.

The only editor I speak to regularly in Japan is dokool.
Archive materials would be wonderful! If you would like to participate, we would certainly like to look at them.

Would you happen to have any better information about the MAD/AMV Community in Japan? Any other ideas for people to contact with leads?
Would dokool know? If I could talk to either of you about this, or others too, I would appreciate it.

(Also, in case of confusion, I'm a co-producer for this project, so please don't be alarmed that you're not hearing from MinetChan directly.)

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:30 am

In the late 2000s, around 2009 or so, I talked to a native Japanese M@D creator (I'm an immigrant, I'm actually in the process of obtaining Japanese citizenship, one doesn't need to be "native" to be Japanese by law) when I was on a semi-vacation at my work place, and he noticed me working on an AMV at the office. He excitedly told me about his background and we discussed the M@D community (at that time, it did not seem that the term "AMV" was well known, although "music anime douga" was). He pointed out that in his experience, most people were individuals with little coordination or group involvement. There wasn't really a community to rival the studio websites of the late 1990s, the convention scene in the US (Japanese anime related events are significantly different from conventions in other parts of the world), the Org in our prime, or current branch off groups, such as the aforementioned AMV Japan (or things like the Russian groups, etc). I think if such communities exist now, it is largely due to the modern influence of Nico Nico Douga and YouTube, but not something has any long history. I assume most M@Ds I see by Japanese creators continue to be independent productions without wider community groups, but I haven't deeply investigated.

Dokool is mostly retired, his Japanese level and integration into Japanese video editing/graphic/music areas is significantly greater than mine, so perhaps he does have more information than I do. I can ask him. Most of my Japanese friends tend to be significantly younger, and the groups I am involved with that do have older folks and history are the union/labor movement (I'm an exec and organiser for a Japanese labor union) and LGBT groups (such as the annual Dyke Weekend which takes place each May in English and Japanese at the National Women's Education Center in Saitama).
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

MinetChan
Org Profile

Post by MinetChan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:37 am

Kionon wrote: Dokool is mostly retired, his Japanese level and integration into Japanese video editing/graphic/music areas is significantly greater than mine, so perhaps he does have more information than I do. I can ask him.
Thank you Kionon! We also really appreciate the extra information. We really want to accurately document the AMV/M@D communities and how they are different/similar. Since you already have some great knowledge on the subject, what do you think about answering some questions in the form of an interview?

Please PM me if this interests you!

StarTrinity009
Org Profile

Post by StarTrinity009 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:44 am

MinetChan wrote:
Kionon wrote: Dokool is mostly retired, his Japanese level and integration into Japanese video editing/graphic/music areas is significantly greater than mine, so perhaps he does have more information than I do. I can ask him.
Thank you Kionon! We also really appreciate the extra information. We really want to accurately document the AMV/M@D communities and how they are different/similar. Since you already have some great knowledge on the subject, what do you think about answering some questions in the form of an interview?

Please PM me if this interests you!
Yes, I agree! We would like to hear from you more, and an introduction with dokool would be helpful. By chance, were any of those archive photos taken in Japan? I don't think we have any old, anime-themed photos taken in Japan.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:49 am

Uhm... I have some photos somewhere of my set ups open to editing apps, I am going to guess, but I don't think I have any of me or other people sitting around editing. I think most of my editing photos are from US cons (like AWA) or dorm set ups when I was in university in the early 2000s.

I moved to Korea in 2007 (my Hoshi no Koe video was made in Korea), then Japan in 2008, and I have been here mostly ever since. I myself, however, have been involved in editing since Summer of 1997, which means in only a couple of months, I'll literally have been in this hobby for 20 years. Which is frightening.

And as for interviewing... It largely depends. I'm a bit camera shy.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

StarTrinity009
Org Profile

Post by StarTrinity009 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:28 am

Kionon wrote:Uhm... I have some photos somewhere of my set ups open to editing apps, I am going to guess, but I don't think I have any of me or other people sitting around editing. I think most of my editing photos are from US cons (like AWA) or dorm set ups when I was in university in the early 2000s.

I moved to Korea in 2007 (my Hoshi no Koe video was made in Korea), then Japan in 2008, and I have been here mostly ever since. I myself, however, have been involved in editing since Summer of 1997, which means in only a couple of months, I'll literally have been in this hobby for 20 years. Which is frightening.

And as for interviewing... It largely depends. I'm a bit camera shy.
Those photos would still be great to see! I was just curious and had to ask. If you can find them, email MinetChan (mbrookman323@gmail.com) or message her on the org to receive details on how to send them to us.

Camera shy... I see... Well, maybe we can work something out. Your interview would most likely be a self-interview (basically, you answering our questions while looking at a camera), or we could possibly do a Skype interview. If you had someone to help you (e.g. friend, spouse, etc.), you could have them interview you instead while looking at them, and the camera would be off slightly to the side. It all depends on what you are most comfortable with. Any of those sound good? If so, we can send you more detailed instructions with the interview questions. (Also, I'm sleeping now, so I will have to read your response tomorrow. Thank you so much for talking with us!! :D)

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:41 am

I used to work in broadcast journalism, that was how I got started. I know how to set up an interview. I meant it depends on what you would do with the material, to whom it would be shown, where, what kind of questions...
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

MinetChan
Org Profile

Post by MinetChan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:58 am

Kionon wrote:I used to work in broadcast journalism, that was how I got started. I know how to set up an interview. I meant it depends on what you would do with the material, to whom it would be shown, where, what kind of questions...
I see. Well, the documentary will be public and we hope to advertise it enough so that we have a few screenings at conventions -- so we will see how far that goes. As for the questions, they would be about your editing, AMV history, and also answering questions about the M@D community (looking into what you know). It wouldn't get really personal, and you can omit any that you feel uncomfortable with. One option that people also like is sending in a sound recording and some image of themselves (either real life or an avatar).

Again, we would appreciate your voice for the documentary, but if you don't feel comfortable no worries!

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:08 am

Well, I think the sound recording option might be possible.

Unfortunately, I have a couple of real concerns involving privacy due to a few issues I've had with cyber-abuse, doxxing, and stalking. In particular, there is a group of trolls which has been trying for years to get photos/video of me for their own purposes (right now, they just have one of me wearing a mask at a party). I've been exceedingly careful in how my various internet and social media accounts interface to limit my most public/professional accounts (which have acquired the mentioned animus) from contact with my private accounts (which do tend to have photos and such of me, but are on max privacy settings).
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “AMV Documentary Project”