VCA Updates, Questions & Feedback Thread

Forum rules
If there are videos that you'd like to nominate, you can use these topics post links to catalog entries (using the Video ID) in your posts. If you'd like to nominate a video that hasn't been entered into the site, you can still embed a youtube link of it, and ask the creator to catalog the video into our database. As long as the catalog entry uses its correct 2016 premiere date, and is entered before February 12, it will be allowed to compete in the 2017 VCAs.
Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: VCA Updates & Questions Thread

Post by Kireblue » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:06 am

Remixer96 wrote:[QUESTION]

Hello everyone! I always enjoy jumping in and voting during the semifinals for the VCA's, but each year I struggle with pulling down all the videos. I was wondering if there is an easy way to download all the nominees at once? Maybe a torrent for the semifinalists or some sort of super-queue button?

Just thought I'd ask!
I'm currently working on making youtube playlists for each category and should be done by Sunday. But making a torrent for all the files might be a bit more difficult since not all the videos have download options.

Remixer96
Org Profile

Post by Remixer96 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:22 pm

I'm currently working on making youtube playlists for each category and should be done by Sunday. But making a torrent for all the files might be a bit more difficult since not all the videos have download options.
That would be awesome. :D
But making a torrent for all the files might be a bit more difficult since not all the videos have download options.
Yeah, I saw that as I started to get through them. But, Youtube is a snazzy alternative.
"Control over the use of one's ideas really constitutes control over other people's lives; and it is usually used to make their lives more difficult."

"In the free/libre software movement, we develop software that respects users' freedom, so we and you can escape from software that doesn't."

- Richard Stallman

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:07 am

Each of the video nomination threads have now been updated with embedded youtube playlists of all available semifinalists for that category |:> . Thank you to PieandBeer and shorisquared for assisting in the creation of them. Making all the category playlists would have taken forever without their help :awesome:

Video of the Year Playlist
phpBB [media]

Donaithnen
Org Profile

Post by Donaithnen » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:22 pm

The deadline for semifinal voting is midnight tonight, east coast time, right?

(I was on vacation all of last week. So much fun, but soooo many videos to watch now!)

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:02 pm

Donaithnen wrote:The deadline for semifinal voting is midnight tonight, east coast time, right?

(I was on vacation all of last week. So much fun, but soooo many videos to watch now!)
Yep. The deadline is at midnight est. So you have just about an hour left :D

Donaithnen
Org Profile

Post by Donaithnen » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:07 pm

Except apparently the deadline was not midnight EST, it was 11:50 PM EST. I could have voted in another 2 or 3 categories if we'd gotten the full allotment of time =/

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:19 pm

Donaithnen wrote:Except apparently the deadline was not midnight EST, it was 11:50 PM EST. I could have voted in another 2 or 3 categories if we'd gotten the full allotment of time =/
hmmm. Not sure why it ended 10 minutes early. I'll make sure to look into that and confirm the exact end time for the final round of voting.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:43 pm

Congratulations to all the winners of the 2017 Viewers' Choice Awards! The full list of winner and finalists can be found here.

phpBB [media]

You can also watch all the finalists and semifinalists in playlists here:
Spoiler :
Most Artistic Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Comedy Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Character Profile (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Use of Instrumental Music (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Action Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Romantic Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Dramatic Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Use of Single Anime (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Use of Lip Synch (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Fun Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Use of Multiple Anime (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Most Original Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Dance Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Trailer or Commercial (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Parody Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Horror Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Storytelling (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Short Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Use of Special Effects (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Sentimental Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Collaborative Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Multi-Editor Project (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Video of the Year (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Cenit
LinkinBall Z
Org Profile

Post by Cenit » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:19 am

Congratulations to all the winners.

Since there is no feedback thread yet i'd like to share some thoughts on the current state of the VCAs. TL;DR there should be less awards:

-> Merge Collabs and MEPs into one catrgory. There were like 15 in each category this year. Every collab/MEP automatically proceeds into the second round
-> Remove best short video. Short Videos are usually the laziest AMVs unless done by blabbler
-> Remove Trailer. I haven't seen a good AMV Trailer in forever. And there are hardly any to begin with. If you must, merge Trailer it with parody.
-> Remove Best Use of Single Anime. Seriously that's basic editing. I haven't seen anything new/outstanding being done with single source Anime since Nostromos FMA Always Hardcore. Unlike use of multiple Anime, which is fine and should stay.
-> Remove Rookie of the year. That award has always been misunderstood. lolligerjoj even refused his nomination because he had previous experience. You can not expect voters to truthfully check out every new editors catalog if they really just started now. Or judge them without knowing about their previous experience. Viewers will vote for whoever they know, vote randomly or don't vote at all. It's a meaningless award.

This would improve the VCAs a lot/make it less of a joke. Unfortunately it's current year, not 2005.

Oh and get a new website...
"Watch me. That's the real joke."

PieandBeer
Most Important Meal
Org Profile

Re: VCA Updates, Questions & Feedback Thread

Post by PieandBeer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:33 am

Cenit wrote:Congratulations to all the winners.

Since there is no feedback thread yet i'd like to share some thoughts on the current state of the VCAs. TL;DR there should be less awards:

-> Merge Collabs and MEPs into one catrgory. There were like 15 in each category this year. Every collab/MEP automatically proceeds into the second round
-> Remove best short video. Short Videos are usually the laziest AMVs unless done by blabbler
-> Remove Trailer. I haven't seen a good AMV Trailer in forever. And there are hardly any to begin with. If you must, merge Trailer it with parody.
-> Remove Best Use of Single Anime. Seriously that's basic editing. I haven't seen anything new/outstanding being done with single source Anime since Nostromos FMA Always Hardcore. Unlike use of multiple Anime, which is fine and should stay.
-> Remove Rookie of the year. That award has always been misunderstood. lolligerjoj even refused his nomination because he had previous experience. You can not expect voters to truthfully check out every new editors catalog if they really just started now. Or judge them without knowing about their previous experience. Viewers will vote for whoever they know, vote randomly or don't vote at all. It's a meaningless award.

This would improve the VCAs a lot/make it less of a joke. Unfortunately it's current year, not 2005.

Oh and get a new website...
I agree with most of this. I like single source in theory, like approaching these as /fan videos/ not just editing feats, but I think there are so many videos that get shut out of this category because the way the source is labeled in the catalog. For example, a Madoka video using the films that totally captures the spirit of the source is considered multi-anime because the films are separate.

Wouldn't call the short video lazy at all, there are tons this year that showed just as much effort and skill as normal length videos. I think the issue is that it is another technicality. Like, why judge a video that is 1:59 in a different group than a vid that is 2:01?

I think the issue with Rookie is that in my mind, it should overlap with Most Improved. Like sort of an "Up and coming editor award" and not a "you had the basics of editing down before you started making amvs" type thing to celebrate improvement and growth instead of skills already present.

also also thank you everyone i'm like legit shocked @_@ congrats to the winners!

Return to “2017 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards”