VCA Updates, Questions & Feedback Thread

Forum rules
If there are videos that you'd like to nominate, you can use these topics post links to catalog entries (using the Video ID) in your posts. If you'd like to nominate a video that hasn't been entered into the site, you can still embed a youtube link of it, and ask the creator to catalog the video into our database. As long as the catalog entry uses its correct 2016 premiere date, and is entered before February 12, it will be allowed to compete in the 2017 VCAs.
Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Re: VCA Updates, Questions & Feedback Thread

Post by Rider4Z » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:58 pm

If you wanna have Trailer and Parody then yeah probably separate them.
And, no, I don't see how This AMV will win an Oscar! would be an exception. What makes it any different than Deadpunch?

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:29 am

Parody trailers which have editor generated content besides edits are "parodies." Trailers of comedies where the only editor generated content is edits may be funny, but they are not parodies. Not intentionally so. They belong in the same category as drama combinations which are not remotely funny. A good example of this would be the Cowboy Bebop to Die Hard trailer. I think it's excellent, but it's not funny. It's just cool. That's not a parody. It's serious a mash-up with an effective result.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:19 am

Rider4Z wrote:If you wanna have Trailer and Parody then yeah probably separate them.
And, no, I don't see how This AMV will win an Oscar! would be an exception. What makes it any different than Deadpunch?
I used that vid as an example of a trailer that uses audio that was already a parody (thus fitting the AMV community's definition of parody and the satirical definition).

I don't actually support making exceptions to the trailer filter though. I was just playing devil's advocate. I think changing the category to "Parody and commercial", and then filtering out all the trailers would be the best solution.

INB4 someone says that all trailers are commercials

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:25 am

I always think of a parody as something that imitates another something, whether humorous or not. But I guess that's not the textbook definition so what do I know :P

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:10 am

A serious imitation, if an obvious imitation, is probably an allusion or, especially if done to honor, an homage. Homages are like the opposite of parodies. Homages honor respectfully, parodies mock. Sometimes parodies are done out of a genuine love of the source (so still honoring), but not seriously or respectfully.

But indeed, the lines get blurry.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:08 am

Kionon wrote:A serious imitation, if an obvious imitation, is probably an allusion or, especially if done to honor, an homage. Homages are like the opposite of parodies. Homages honor respectfully, parodies mock. Sometimes parodies are done out of a genuine love of the source (so still honoring), but not seriously or respectfully.

But indeed, the lines get blurry.
yes. That is the textbook definition of parody. The definition that the AMV community adopted is anything that mimics a pre-existing media. So by the community definition, all trailers and commercials are parodies. Both definitions tend to be used in terms of contests, and that's why there is confusion from time to time. But even if the org too a hard line stance on one definition over the other, it wouldn't really change the community perception of what is a parody since it gets reinforced by every single convention run AMV Contest.

That's why I feel that simply giving trailers their own category, moving commercials to parody, and then filtering out the trailers is a good solution.

AllySantra
Org Profile

Post by AllySantra » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:47 pm

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this, but I was just wondering when 2018's VCA was going to get started? I look forward to this every year and have since I was in high school (I'm 30 now lol). I'm probably just early, but I've been logging in every day lately just in case. :>

Return to “2017 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards”