AMV Monthly: April 2017

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: AMV Monthly: April 2017

Post by Kireblue » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:58 pm

Skittles 10 year Aniversary (Interview with Koopiskeva)
Index

Hey everyone! For the 10 year anniversary of , the AMV Monthly Staff decided to interview Koopiskeva to talk about his video and the AMV Community as a whole. You can check out his responses to those questions here:
[Interviewers] Kireblue - Mol - shorisquared

Before being contacted for this interview, had you realized that it’s been 10 years since you released Skittles?
Yep.  I actually had an inkling of finishing the “full version” that I never did get around to doing, but life happens and all.  I had always meant to use the full song, with the rap solo portion that I cut out.  It was supposed to have a 3d/cel animated Mikuru rap portion that never got completed.
Although Skittles was not the first “candy style” AMV to be made, I always felt that it was one of the first ones to popularize the genre. Do you feel the same?
I’m sure it certainly did usher in that type of video.  I often saw lots of copies very soon after the release and always jokingly “blamed” myself for being part of the cause.  :P
Is there anything besides the “Candy Pop” music video that gave you inspiration for the effects in Skittles? Did you have any guidelines on what effects to use and what not to use?
Aside from the actual video, I was basically inspired by Haruhi itself. I was quite enamored with the show and the whole ‘colorful’ view/aspect of it all. I really wanted to represent that with the video, and it all just came together beautifully. As for a guideline on effects, generally just have a theme so that it is all coherent. Experiment to see what to see what works best on what you’re trying to accomplish. Don’t just copy what others are doing - though if you do, make it your own by modifying how it’s applied.
Have you met a lot of people who were introduced to AMVs through Skittles or your videos in general? If so, how did those encounters make you feel?
Tons. I can’t even count how many people I’ve met, talked to, or befriended, not only due to that video, but due to the community and how long I’ve been part of it. My best friends have been a huge part of my life due to AMVs.
As for the encounters, I was more surprised during the Euphoria day with the community being much smaller. By the time Skittles rolled around, I was more confident in getting to know people and never hesitated to reach out and just chat with folks, old or new. The AMV community definitely allowed me to grow somewhat more extrovertedly, and having generally widely-appealing videos did certainly help.
Was "" meant to be a direct sequel of Skittles? Or was it just referencing it?
It was a sequel of sorts, but obviously an entirely different take.  I often use my bigger projects as a way to try something new to learn.  It was supposedly just to be a standalone Baka Test video, but I wanted to use Haruhi/Skittles to somewhat bring about a new era, so to speak.
Have you ever considered remaking or remastering any of your old amvs?
I have, but generally decided against it as I’d rather work on something new when I was given the chance.
Have you made any AMVs that you’ve never released? If so, why?
A couple early videos, but mostly unfinished ones were the unreleased videos.  I generally release anything I finish because if I made it through to the end of editing, then I generally feel it is worth releasing.
What made you want to start editing again after taking so much time off?
I never wanted to stop editing to be honest, and I still don’t.  It’s always in the background for me, but time is often lacking when life and other hobbies get in the way.  I have a huge backlog of videos I still want to make in the future.
Do you have any future AMVs planned?
Yep.  Too many.  I always say that I’ll hopefully make at least 2 every year.
What do you think about how AMV editing has changed over the years?
Honestly, not much.  Just the community and how videos get around.  I suppose most people expect effects to always be part of the equation nowadays, but that had been the case for awhile now - just easier ways of people to learn (and abuse) them.  :P
Are you a fan of the AMVs that are being made these days?
I’m not saying I’m not a fan, but since AMVs are all very connected to the anime/shows that I’ve seen at the time, it’s harder for me to relate since I haven't been keeping up on newer anime in general.  However, a good video is a good video regardless of when it was made.
Where do you see AMVs heading in the future in terms of popularity, style-wise, the technology used, etc.?
I generally think this is likely the peak of popularity, in which to say, it is always going to be a niche.  In general, people “grow out” of AMVs and move into other hobbies, or in lesser cases, pursue something in video entertainment and would just look fondly at the days where AMVs was their world.  Style-wise, I think it’ll likely continue to mimic trends in both the music video and movie industries as it currently is doing, but on a smaller scale.  The technology just makes it more easily more accessible to creating them - but really who knows where it’s going to lead.
Any closing remarks?
First, thanks for the quick interview!  Always cool to connect back with my past.  I could go on and on about AMVs, philosophies, history, the community, etc…  So I’ll just say this..  Always make what you want to see in AMVs.  It may not always turn out as good as you hoped, or be the most popular thing, but as long as you enjoyed making it or the end result, then that’s really all that matters.  Still to this day, I can watch a lot of my not-as-popular videos because I truly connected and enjoyed with what I had made.  

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:03 pm

[Brand New] AMVtool - One software for encoding & recontainering!
Index

Ever feel that avisynth, virturaldub and Zarx264gui are too complicated? l33tmeatwad just designed a easy solution for all your converting needs!

Original Thread
l33tmeatwad wrote:Any testing and feedback that I can get would be very helpful!

Download

Features:
Available on Linux, OSX, and Windows.
Automatically chooses the color matrix based on the existing file or guesses based on resolution.
Easy button for setting up file(s) to be recontainered.
Queue for batch encoding.
Shows bit depth of the currently selected video stream.
Supports encoding of AviSynth (Windows Only) & VapourSynth scripts.
Supports encoding to various lossless and lossy formats, including but not limited to x264 & x265.
Supports multiple audio streams.

Planned/Upcoming Features:
Multi-Language Support
Support for FFMPEG Filters (IVTC, Debanding, etc.)

Notes:
On Linux and OSX it looks for FFMPEG in the same folder that AMVtool is in, then additionally in /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin. On Windows it looks for VSPIPE in the same folder, however in Linux and OSX it looks for it in /usr/local/bin.

Known Issues:
-When using AudioDub in AviSynth, if the output audio codec is AAC it may fail unless the audio is padded (add trim(0,0,pad=true) after AudioDub).
-When attempting to copy the audio, if "Encode Incompatible" is checked it will encode the audio anyways (Working on a fix!).
-When encoding M2TS sources with TrueHD audio it will encode both TrueHD and the regular AC-3 stream (Working on a fix!).

Windows Requirements:
FFMPEG 3.2 (Copy Included)
Visual C++ Redistributable 2015

Linux Requirements:
FFMPEG 3.2
Git
MediaInfo Library (Ubuntu Package Name: libmediainfo-dev)
Qt 5 (Ubuntu Package Name: qtbase5-dev)

Linux Instructions:

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/l33tmeatwad/AMVtool
cd AMVtool
qmake
make
Changelog:
Beta 8
-Added back the ability to open M2TS, TS, and VOB files
-Bugfix for handling stream IDs

Beta 7
-Bugfix for handling stream IDs
-Removed ability to open M2TS, TS, and VOB (Temporary)

Beta 6
-Added AviSynth support (Windows Only).
-Added dependency checks and error handling.
-Added a status bar.
-Cleanup and optimization of code.
-Minor interface updates.

Beta 5
-Added drag & drop support.
-Minor changes to the layout and bugfixes.

Beta 4
-Minor changes to the layout and bugfixes.

Beta 3
-Added support for Linux and Windows.
-Fixed bug where it would not look for the output file if not in the same directory as the source.

Beta 2
-Fixed issue where codec for audio when recontainering was not always compatible with the output container.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:28 pm

Subscribe for Emails
Index
Want to receive a email notification whenever a new issue of AMV Monthly is available? Then subscribe to our mailing list here!

Return to “AMV Monthly - {Currently on hiatus}”