AMV Monthly: March 2017

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

What is AMV Monthly?

Post by Kireblue » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:55 am

What is AMV Monthly?
Index
Anamorphic Productions wrote:This is a newsletter geared towards the AMV community. Whether you’re watching or creating, we hope to have something to interest everyone. Our beginnings were strange; a post was made on the .org’s forums, asking about the status of the newsletter, because an option to receive one is in your profile. Then, interest was sparked as it was admitted that no, the org didn’t have a newsletter – but quite a few people thought that it should.

And here we are.
That was actually a quote from the very first issue of AMV NEWS MONTHLY written 12 years ago by Anamorphic Productions. Its been almost 10 years since the last issue was released on November 17, 2007. But on a whim, I felt that it was time to bring it back. It took some time for me and the AMV Monthly Staff to figure out the most efficient way of doing this, but after throwing around a lot of different ideas, we finally decided that the site's forums were actually the best place to host it (at least for the time being).

Our goal is to consolidate information relevant to the AMV community into a single location, and to create a new outlet for members to share information among themselves. We also hope to appeal to the interests of our readers, and to become something that you look forward to every month. So if you're interested in helping with that, we're currently looking for additional people to either join our staff or contribute content for our monthly releases. Feel free to PM me for details.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

The 2017 VCAs Finals are underway!

Post by Kireblue » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:55 am

The 2017 VCAs Finals are underway!
Index
The 2017 VCA finials have officially begun! You can use the now go to the VCA Finals Page to vote for your favorite videos of 2016 in their respective categories.

To make the process easier for you, we've created category playlists for all the available nominated videos.

Most Artistic Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Comedy Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Character Profile (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Use of Instrumental Music (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Action Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Romantic Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Dramatic Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Use of Single Anime (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Use of Lip Synch (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Fun Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Use of Multiple Anime (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Most Original Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Dance Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Trailer or Commercial (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Parody Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Horror Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Storytelling (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Short Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Use of Special Effects (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Sentimental Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Collaborative Video (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Best Multi-Editor Project (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

Video of the Year (Semifinalist Playlist) (Finalist Playlist)

shorisquared
AMV History Archiver
Org Profile

Upcoming Contests

Post by shorisquared » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:29 pm

Upcoming Contests
Index

Org Sponsored Contests
A-M-V.org 2017 Viewers' Choice Awards
  1. | Finals End March 27th
Newly Announced
Animazement | May 1, 2017
Otafest | May 6, 2017
Anime Mid Atlantic | May 7, 2017
Animethon | June 16, 2017
AkaiCon | July 7, 2017
Saboten Con 2017 | July 22nd, 2017

Upcoming Deadlines
Anime Boston Hentai | March 17, 2017
CON-NICHIWA | March 17, 2017
Hanadoki-Con | March 20, 2017
Zenkaikon | March 26, 2017
Anime North | April 1, 2017
'Fanime | April 21, 2017
MomoCon | April 24, 2017
AnimeNEXT | April 29, 2017

Recent Results
Tsukino Con (Winners)
Katsucon (Winners)
Anime Crossroads (Winners)
Agamacon (Winners)

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

AMV Highlights [February - March]

Post by Mol » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:09 am

AMV Highlights [February - March]
Index
February - March 2017
phpBB [media]

Last edited by Mol on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

PieandBeer
Most Important Meal
Org Profile

Anime Convention Contest Discussion Review

Post by PieandBeer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:49 pm

Anime Convention Contest Discussion Review
Index

Last month we forced people to take part in a discussion about Anime Convention AMV Contests against their will. Here are a sample of responses for the questions we posed last month. These are no way indicative of the entire discussion and I highly suggest you take a look at the full thread here.

How do you feel about the way categories have changed over the years and between contests? Has this caused any struggles or confusion while you are entering videos?

ngsilver
Spoiler :
Even when I was first starting out 15 some odd years ago I found it hard to pigeonhole my own videos into one specific category over another. Sometimes it's easier when a contest combines 'similar' categories but in the end I honestly can't stand categories in contests because of this. There is also the issue that when you have categories you basically 'evenly' space the number of entries in each category most of the time. This can cause videos that are very good to get cut from a contest just because of the fact they were submitted to a category with more videos and as such weaker videos can make it into a contest because they are in a lighter category. Just some of my personal annoyances with the use of categories in contests and that hasn't really changed. Thankfully, there have been more contests/competitions that have opened up over the years that did away with categories so it really is just video against video.
Tarage
Spoiler :
I like the divides. I remember back in the 2000s when the loudness meter was still being used at AX. The contests now seem to be more broken up, and I think this allows for more types of AMVs and more people to get shown.
How do you think audiences and contests differ between smaller and larger conventions?

Pathos Prime
Spoiler :
As someone who's run contests at both small and large conventions, there's not as much difference as you may think. Yeah, for the bigger cons, the audiences tend to be bigger, and thus seem more high profile. And we do get LOTS more entries at bigger cons. But there's always an audience. We've never had an event yet (knock on wood) that didn't reach the eleven-entry minimum. And no matter how small the con is, people DO go watch the AMV Contest. People hear the music from the hallway and filter in. It doesn't fail. AMVs are still popular at conventions, even if they seem to be overshadowed by cosplay and video games.
Tigrin
Spoiler :
I mostly only go to Anime Expo so I don't know much about the audiences at smaller conventions.

I think from the point of view of an editor there can be a difference... back when I was submitting my student film to film festivals, I once asked someone for advice on which festivals to submit to, because I wasn't having any luck. They told me "It's better to be a big fish in a small pond" or something along that line. Basically that the big festivals were too competitive and overcrowded and I'd have better luck with some of the smaller festivals. I kind of think it works the same way with AMV contests... I tend to have more luck getting into or doing well in smaller conventions. but as usual, I tend to focus more on the bigger conventions... I guess because it feels more of an achievement to compete with the other big fish. Inevitably it also means I'm disappointed pretty often haha.
How do you feel about freshness vs. award limits on videos?

MaboroshiStudio
Spoiler :
I am all in favor of freshness / award limits. When I first got into making AMVs back in the late 90s there was a code between editors. If a AMV of mine won at 2 conventions I pretty much retired it as I felt it was disrespectful to other editors to troll. When I came back to the AMV scene over a decade later I as surprised seeing some editors troll so much. This way also more people got recognized and could win.

I will admit I trolled my Scott Sterling pretty hard last year which was in part because I was lazy / didn't make anything new. I felt a bit guilty trolling it and Unstoppable so much to be honest. If there were more freshness / award limits we simply would be forced to make new AMVs... not the end of the world. I think there could be a good balance to be had and a discussion to be had.
ngsilver
Spoiler :
A video is a video. Jingoro said it best in the newsletter. The grand majority of con goers only go to one con. By limiting entries based on 'freshness' or number of awards (either contest imposed or personal rules) your limiting the ability of your audience to see great videos that they miss because of a rule. Of course, the only form of this I do like is a freshness rule where the same video should not be submitted to the same contests/convention from year to year.
Ileia
Spoiler :
I'm just gonna address question #3 because I keep seeing the go-to "people only go to one con!" response and that reasoning bugs me of late.

Yes. Most people only go to one con per year. But did we forget that most people also have the internet? And people who would want to see an AMV contest at a con have probably also seen AMVs online - might even seek them out! Weird! :P

Cons have different freshness rules and that's cool and obviously at the discretion of each coordinator depending on their convention needs - but don't tell me that your reasoning is that people only see AMVs at cons and only go to one con. It's 2017, gosh darnit.
What method of entering videos do you believe is the easiest?

SilverLugia345
Spoiler :
Just for the three contests I just entered I have used three different methods. Out of them all I think the best one I believe is uploading directly from the site. The reason for this and this is just me personally I get really nervous when posting download links and sending emails because something could happen and the video may not be received. That could also happen when uploading directly on a site but I don't feel as nervous when using that method.
Tarage
Spoiler :
FTP. I mean, nowadays any site where you can upload stuff is easy, but FTP is fine.
What is something you would like contest coordinators to know that might make the convention contest experience better for editors?

Pathos Prime
Spoiler :
DO. NOT. USE. AUDIENCE. VOTING. There are so many problems with audience voting. People who come in late and haven't seen every video can still vote. The video with the most popular anime tends to always win. You don't put the Academy Awards to an online poll to determine who wins an Oscar, you leave it to folks who have experience with AMVs and can examine it more on a professional basis.

Other than that, well... as someone who runs 10+ convention contests in a year, I would LOVE to get some feedback from folks on how to improve AMV League and get more of y'all fantastic editors to participate. So, everyone, feel free to send me a PM. :)
MaboroshiStudio
Spoiler :
Reserved seating is pretty sweet.. I also love how some cons give winners a free badge which is something I have tried to fight for at MTAC.
Last edited by PieandBeer on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PieandBeer
Most Important Meal
Org Profile

Discussion: Editor Approaches to Online IC Contests

Post by PieandBeer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:58 pm

Discussion: Editor Approaches to Online IC Contests
Index

You thought this was over? It's never over.
Soul's Team Iron Chef XIII: Change the Game occurred a few weeks ago and category results are currently being posted a couple times a week. The AMV Roulette contest on AMVCentral is also in the judging stage of the final round. These types of contests receive a ton of entries (STICXIII received 198 entries after disqualifications!) and some really great videos come out of them. I wanted to start a discussion similar to last month's convention contest topic (this time without coordinator's input because I'm terrible and ran out of time). Please visit the thread here and think about the following questions:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. How would you describe your method of making a full AMV in 3-7 days?
2. Are there specific online IC styled contests you usually join?
3. If you edit AMVs outside of these online contests, how does your approach editing change given the time and theme/source constraints?
4. How long has it been since you've seen your family or the sun? Or how do you manage your other activities during editing crunch time?
5. Are your ideas generally spurred by the source restrictions or do you go into the contest with a basic idea of what you would like to make?
6. Are there source styles (music or visual) that you tend to gravitate to? Why or why not?
7. Is there anything else you would like to say about these contests, their communities, and the videos that come out of them?
Last edited by PieandBeer on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TritioAFB
Ambassador of the AMVWorld
Org Profile

AKROSS Con 2016 - MrNosec - Numinous - THE INTERVIEW

Post by TritioAFB » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:22 pm

Index

Welcome to this new interview, about the finalists from the AKROSS Con 2016 contest. This time MrNosec as the main guest. Thanks for joining.

1) Would you mind to introduce yourself for the audience?

My name is Bruce Guerreiro, a 20 year old guy from Portugal, but I'm mostly known on the interwebz by my pseudonym "MrNosec".
I have been making AMVs since 2015, although I only made two AMVs so far, I'm quite proud of them and very grateful for the overall popularity and feedback my videos achieved in some parts of this huge community.

2) About your entry, what was your inspiration about it? Could you explain the concept?

When I was conceptualizing the video I wanted to present my own interpretation of the "Evangelion" series.
My aim was to create an experience with the power to invoke fear and trembling, yet create fascination and attraction. To successfully display the concept of death and rebirth I needed the audience to feel somewhat uneasy, to be subjected to an unearthly yet ominous apocalyptic feeling, and in designated portions of the video even discomfort to some extent, so that the torturous fight for survival could contrast that much more with the final release of death and relief of rebirth.

3) How did you realize about the contest? and how does it feel the experience in the actual contest?

I found out about the contest by seeing the logo at the end of some videos on youtube, back in 2014 and 2015, so I got curious and came to see what it was all about, but if you meant "how or where did I first see it being announced this year", then it was on the AMVnews frontpage.
Actually experiencing the contest for the very first time as a participant has been pretty great, the diversity is amazing, many editors from nearly 30 different countries make the contest much more interesting and diverse, which enables me to see a lot of feedback and acquire new perspectives on my own video. Of course there are the inevitable troll and hateful comments which can be found on nearly every video in this contest thus far, but I suppose those have their own charm aswell.

4) What are your current favorites entries?

I would have to go with "Clozufilu", "Nonsense", "I Knew You Were a Psycho"" and "Epiphany". There are many others I enjoy and some are even expertly well made in my opinion, but when it comes to my personal preference those are definitely my favorites.

5) Do you have some future projects?

I honestly have no clear idea on what I'll do next when it comes to AMVs, sometimes I get a cool notion but it has either been done to death or it's just too similar to an idea I liked from another popular video, so as always, I have zero plans, but I have no intentions of stopping.

6) Will you participate in AKROSS Con 2017?

I highly doubt I will have another video ready by then, but if that does happen, it's very likely I'll partake in this contest once again.

7) About your country, what's the perception about anime and amvs?

I only found out about it after I went to conventions where AMV contests are hosted, to see my video on a huge screen and how everyone reacted to it, but there's apparently thousands of teenagers and young adults that cosplay and are "obsessed" with anything anime, I was very surprised. They are also quite enthusiastic about AMVs, some to the point of finding my personal facebook to invite me to Portuguese AMV groups and ask me all sorts of things after watching my first AMV.

8) Many people from ZonaAMV and other communities will read this interview, any words for the fans you have there?

Despite it being the largest hispanic AMV community, I'm not sure if all that many members from ZonaAMV actually know about me since I'm fairly new to this, but to any possible fans and everyone reading, hi(!) and thank you for showing interest, I am aware that I'm extremely slow at making videos, my editing habits are sort of pedantic and sometimes even counterproductive, not to mention inspiration doesn't come all that often, but I hope you enjoy my future projects.

9) Any final words for the audience?

In order to avoid repeating half of my previous answer, I'll just make my last words a big "thank you" to everyone in the community, both to the editors that have inspired me and many others to make their own videos, but also to the viewers and critics alike who take the time to watch and comment on them, therefore giving purpose to what we editors do, because in the end, what's the point of making anything at all if it's not meant to be shared?

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Around the Net

Post by Kireblue » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:11 am

Around the Net
Index

Avatar is an Anime. F*** You. Fight Me.
It's the eternal debate. Mostly because people like me won't let it die. Are shows like Avatar, Voltron, and Steven Universe anime?
Yes they are. 1v1 me weebs.
Dragon Ball Stop Motion - Goku VS Batman
This time we team up with Bugoo to work together for this awesome stop motion fight, Goku will be facing the latest Android made from RED RIBBON company, the Android BAT.

The Art of Editing and Suicide Squad
Clickbait title: This AWFUL EDITING Will Restore Your Faith in Humanity

Suicide Squad's construction is bad in a way that's legitimately unsettling for a movie of this scope and budget. There's serious concerns about what Warner Brothers is up to with how the DC films are being handled in general that makes you wonder if they aren't going to implode entirely.
Jigglypuff plays ROCKBAND
Through the Fire and Flames, Impossible Mode, Full Band, no Fingers. Jiggly Jig.

AMV Monthly
Org Profile

Subscribe for Emails

Post by AMV Monthly » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:08 pm

Subscribe for Emails
Index
Want to receive a email notification whenever a new issue of AMV Monthly is available? Then subscribe to our mailing list here!

Return to “AMV Monthly - {Currently on hiatus}”