AMV Monthly: January 2017

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: AMV Monthly: January 2017 - What is AMV Monthly?

Post by Kireblue » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:27 pm

What is AMV Monthly?
Index
Anamorphic Productions wrote:This is a newsletter geared towards the AMV community. Whether you’re watching or creating, we hope to have something to interest everyone. Our beginnings were strange; a post was made on the .org’s forums, asking about the status of the newsletter, because an option to receive one is in your profile. Then, interest was sparked as it was admitted that no, the org didn’t have a newsletter – but quite a few people thought that it should.

And here we are.
That was actually a quote from the very first issue of AMV NEWS MONTHLY written 12 years ago by Anamorphic Productions. Its been almost 10 years since the last issue was released on November 17, 2007. But on a whim, I felt that it was time to bring it back. It took some time for me and the AMV Monthly Staff to figure out the most efficient way of doing this, but after throwing around a lot of different ideas, we finally decided that the site's forums were actually the best place to host it (at least for the time being).

Our goal is to consolidate information relevant to the AMV community into a single location, and to create a new outlet for members to share information among themselves. We also hope to appeal to the interests of our readers, and to become something that you look forward to every month. So if you're interested in helping with that, we're currently looking for additional people to either join our staff or contribute content for our monthly releases. Feel free to PM me for details.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: AMV Monthly: January 2017 - The 2017 VCAs have begun!

Post by Kireblue » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:37 pm

The 2017 VCAs have begun!
Index
The 2017 VCAs have begun! So feel free to start nominating your favorite videos of 2016 in their corresponding nomination threads. If you have questions, comments, or suggestions, please feel free to post them here

VCA Schedule
Nomination Voting: 02/13/2017 - 02/27/2017
Semifinals Voting: 03/01/2017 - 03/15/2017
Finals Voting: 03/17/2017 - 03/27/2017

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: AMV Monthly: January 2017 - AMV Central: A new community for AMVs

Post by Kireblue » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:03 pm

AMV Central: A new community for AMVs
Index
AMVCentral is a new community for editors and AMV enthusiasts alike. Organized by a number of current and former A-M-V.org members, admins and moderators, they hope to create a new environment for open discussion, interaction and fun within the world of AMVs. Check out their brand new forums here: http://www.amvcentral.net/forums/

Original Post by Radical Yue
Radical_Yue wrote:Hi there! I'm Yue and I'm one of the admins and creators of AMVCentral.net. There has been a lot of excitement and questions regarding our new site and I wanted to take some time to clear up some of the most common questions I've seen in addition to providing a little bit of a game plan for what we want to do!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why did you guys make a new website? What is wrong with A-M-V.org, AMVNews, or Youtube?
Well, the majority of us are coming from A-M-V.org to work on AMVCentral. While each of us has our own reason for leaving the Org, the primary thing we weren't happy with was the community. It was dying due to stagnation and the site staff let it die. While not everyone may agree with this opinion, it's how we feel about that particular site and why the majority of us are no longer active on it.
As for AMVNews and Youtube...Youtube doesn't really have any type of community resources. Sure, there are the comments and more studios than you can count, but there isn't really anywhere for everyone to congregate and have discussions, hang out, etc. Most of that happens off-site. And while a large amount of us do have AMVNews accounts and post on that site, we had the desire to build something ourselves that we could call home and welcome everyone from every community into.

Does that mean you're trying to create a new A-M-V.org? Will there be uploading?
While people seem to call us "The new Org" or refer to what we're working on in a similar fashion, that is not our goal and we don't really agree with it. Our goal is a community above all others. A-M-V.org is still (at least in my opinion) the safest place for AMVs and the best place to upload your videos. I still thoroughly endorse using their upload system what with YouTube takedowns still being a fairly common thing.
At this time we will not support uploading of any sort. While this is something that we have discussed a bit, if it does eventually end up happening it won't for quite a long time.

So is AMVCentral just a forum?
No! But the forum is a starting point for us. Our goal is to have 3 key aspects of AMVCentral....

The Forum - A place for discussions, contests, AMV sharing, and news.
A Main News Site - Lightweight with all the latest info on conventions, what is going on with the forum, and more.
A YouTube Channel - Content provided by AMV Editors, for AMV Editors. Anime and AMV Reviews, podcasts, tutorials, and more.

All of that sounds awesome! When is it all going to be done?
To be quite frank, I'm not sure when it will all be done. We're setting goals and trying our absolute best to roll things out in a timely manner but please remember that this is all volunteer stuff. Those of us working on the content are doing so in our free time and the majority work 40+ hour per week jobs. Some even have kids!
So while at this time I can not and will not make promises for time frames, I will promise to keep you guys informed and in the loop. And anytime you find us dragging our feet on a project I encourage you to call us out. Even if it's not the best answer in the world, we will provide an answer or status report of some sort.

I've got some skills and I think I might be able to help with at least minor stuff. Can I volunteer?
Yes. We are more than happy and willing to take in volunteers. We'll need people to assist with the forum, the Discord chat, contests, the main site, the channel and more. So while we might not need that help right this very second, we will never totally turn away someone eager and excited to help. We might hold on to your name for a bit until you're needed, but you won't be forgotten.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: AMV Monthly: January 2017 - Upcoming Contests

Post by Kireblue » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:39 pm

Upcoming Contests
Index

Org Sponsored Contests
A-M-V.org 2017 Viewers' Choice Awards | Nominations Begin February 13, 2017

Newly Announced
Anime North | April 1st 2017
Tekko | March 9th, 2017
MTAC | March 10, 2017
Zenkaikon | March 26, 2017
MomoCon | April 24, 2017
AkaiCon | July 7th, 2017

Upcoming Deadlines
AKROSS Con | (Upload Deadline) January 15, 2017
Sakura-Con | February 17, 2017
Anime Boston | February 17, 2017
Kawaii Kon | February 17, 2017
Agamacon | February 17, 2017
AICon | February 24, 2017

Recent Results
Holiday Matsuri (Winners)
ODUCon (Finalists)

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: AMV Monthly: January 2017 - Upcoming Events

Post by Kireblue » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:29 pm

Upcoming Events
Index

Conventions
AgamaCon (Aiken, SC) | March 3 - 5 2017
Anime Boston (Boston MA) | March 31 - April 2 2017 - Editor's Dinner Thread
Tekko (Pittsburgh PA) | | April 6 - 9 2017
Kawaii Kon (Honolulu, HI) | April 7 - 9 2017
MTAC (Nashville, TN) | April 14 - 16 2017
Sakura-Con (Seattle WA) | April 14 - 16 2017
Zenkaikon (Lancaster PA) | April 28 - 30 2017
MomoCon (Atlanta, GA) | May 25 - 28 2017 - Editors' Dinner Thread
Anime North (Toronto, Canada) | May 26 - 28 2017
AkaiCon (Nashville, TN) | August 4 - 6 2017

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Re: AMV Monthly: January 2017 - Mass Effect 2 Now Available for FREE

Post by Mol » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:14 am

Mass Effect 2 Now Available for FREE
Index
Need a break from editing ? Play a game!
If you didn't play Mass Effect 2 yet now is good time. Even thought origin isn't considered a good platform, game itself might be worth your time.
It's one of those games that doesn't need much presentation, you follow a story and try to get stuff done without dying.
Available for free for limited time, but you can keep it forever. Grab your guns and save universe from non-editing monsters.
All you need is to have origin and account.

Grab it here

PieandBeer
Most Important Meal
Org Profile

Re: AMV Monthly: January 2017 - Akross Con through the ages - Celebrating its 14th Anniversary!

Post by PieandBeer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:54 pm

Akross Con through the ages - Celebrating its 14th Anniversary!
Index Yesterday marked the last day videos could be submitted to the 2016 Akross Con AMV Contest. Let's take a look back on some of the videos that this exclusive online contest has produced over the years. We have asked Akross Con coordinator, EvilSpider, to share with us some of the videos they believe show off the talent the contest has attracted. They have also provided us with a brief history behind the contest below.
EvilSpider wrote:As for videos, I believe our website's ratings show some very nice highlights
[here are] all the best and most loving AKROSS Con entries over the years:

Sayan Visual Studio - Spoil
http://www.akross.ru/index.cgi?act=video;id=20;l=e

Tayo - Part of You, Shadow of Me
http://www.akross.ru/index.cgi?act=video;id=215;l=e

EvilSpider - Revenge
http://www.akross.ru/index.cgi?act=video;id=5;l=e

Scorpions Ultd - Whisper of the Beast
http://www.akross.ru/index.cgi?act=video;id=232;l=e

goЯz - Fracture
http://www.akross.ru/index.cgi?act=video;id=3973;l=e

Fynjy - Hell's Gate
http://www.akross.ru/index.cgi?act=video;id=1407;l=e

Nostromo - Running Man
http://www.akross.ru/index.cgi?act=video;id=518;l=e

Umika - Traumerei
http://www.akross.ru/index.cgi?act=video;id=2227;l=e

Centurione - Pandora
http://www.akross.ru/index.cgi?act=video;id=3892;l=e

ukms[z] - Reflections
http://www.akross.ru/index.cgi?act=video;id=177;l=e

(I couldn't find this on the creator's or Akross' Youtube channels. Please check it out through the Akross link above!)

Tana-sama - Butterflies of God
http://www.akross.ru/index.cgi?act=video;id=1286;l=e

The AKROSS project started as a very small Russian-speaking community.
Contrary to many other AMV communities, who just wanted to have fun
and interact with fellow editors, we always had an ambitious goal. Our goal
was to fuel the fast growth of domestic AMV creators, and make our videos
competitive on International AMV scene.

AKROSS Con contest was launched with the same "pro" approach in mind,
giving all the power to participating editors themselves (not the jury
or viewers, as it usually is) and creating heavily competitive
environment with notoriously harsh criticism and level of expectations
from viewers, where only most improving editors and highest level of
effort were praised. Of course, it was a huge gamble, and the project
had its share of haters and internal conflicts, but in the end, it all
paid off.

After some of AKROSS Con videos began to attract the attention of
Western audiences (for example, "Whisper of the Beast" has made way
bigger impact on animemusicvideos.org than at the time of its AKROSS
Con debut), more and more "foreign" editors started to join the
competition (Nostromo and ZetZu were among the very first pioneers).
At first, they were regarded as unexpected, but welcome "guests", but
when (around 2008) their number began to rapidly grow, we finally
decided to introduce English version of the site and properly invite
editors from all around the world.

Since then, AKROSS Con became truly International event, attracting
editors from all corners of the Earth. Many things has changed since
its early days, many problems had to be overcome in order to survive
to this day, but the contest is still alive and is going to celebrate
its 14th Anniversary in 2017."

-EvilSpider, Akross Con Coordinator
I absolutely love some of the videos that have come out of the contest this year. I implore all of you to take a look at this year's batch. It is full of some of the most creative and out of the box videos I have seen in a while.
Last edited by PieandBeer on Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

MinetChan
Org Profile

Re: AMV Monthly: January 2017 - MinetChan's AMV Documentary Project

Post by MinetChan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:00 pm

MinetChan's AMV Documentary Project
Index
Hello editors!

My name is Madeleine and I started creating AMVs in 2006. I love the AMV community and I wouldn’t be myself without these experiences — without the friends I have met and the places I have seen.

I recently came back from a hiatus due to my health. I have more time now to focus on editing and this, as well as ideas in the past, made me finally realize that I want to give back to the AMV community by creating an AMV documentary.

AMV France and AMVDE have had success with this, creating a few documentaries about their editors. However, editors from the states (CrackTheSky, Koopsikeva, ZephyrStar, and more) have attempted to put things in motion, but sadly, videos never fully materialized. The purpose of this project is to finally make these plans a reality — to create a video that documents our craft, our passion. It's important to share our history and to promote our hard work.

That is why I need your help.

Here is a detailed outline of our project, in case you are interested!

Also, here is a list of things definitely we need from volunteers.

I plan on taking a year or so to put this project together. AMV events take place throughout the year, so it is important to plan ahead. I am especially in need of people capturing international conventions (like Japan Expo, Connichi, etc.). It would also be great to have footage of Anime Expo, as well as smaller conventions, etc. So if anyone has plans on going somewhere and they want to film their experiences, please get in contact with me!

I think the hardest part about such a project is the fact that we are all busy people. This is not a paid job. It is a project made by our volunteered time and effort. I completely understand if you have limited access to equipment and/or time, or if you aren't able to commit to this project.

However, if you do, this project will be a way to commemorate and preserve our AMVs and our experiences with fellow editors. It will act as an introduction to the world of AMV-editing — a way to educate people about our passion.

I set up a Google Drive folder with documents that will help us get started. Listed below are the documents you will find there:
Filming/Interviewing/Submitting Guidelines
Basic Interview Questions
Schedule of Filming
Received Footage List

As a last note, I want to thank everyone for their support over the years. I am forever grateful for AMVs and the people behind them. This project means so much to me and I really cannot wait to work with all of you.

If anyone has any questions, ideas, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me. You can reach me via Discord, the forums, or by emailing me at: mbrookman323@gmail.com

MinetChan
Org Profile

Re: AMV Monthly: January 2017 - AMV Documentary Survey

Post by MinetChan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:02 pm

AMV Documentary Survey
Index

In order to get some statistics for the AMV Documentary project, I also set up an AMV Documentary survey.

I encourage every editor to take the time to fill it out. This information will help provide extra realism to the final video.

Thanks in advance!

Return to “AMV Monthly - {Currently on hiatus}”