Recently switched to Win2k, now Premiere 6 is acting funny

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
EnDarkEnd
Org Profile

Recently switched to Win2k, now Premiere 6 is acting funny

Post by EnDarkEnd » Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:06 pm

With windows 98, I could bring up a video clip in premiere and easily frame-seek within the little editing window. Now, when I try to do this with an avi (mpegs are fine) it either stays stuck displaying the first frame of the clip, or it shows some sork of green, rectangular overlay that completely obscures the frame. This might also be a codec problem, though I only have divx 3 and 4 installed and with the same settings I used in win 98 (3 handles 3 and 4 handles 4, with BSPlayer used to configure the settings). The clips I'm accessing all play fine and can be manipulated through vdub/nandub perfectly fine -- but I really need to be able to use premiere. Any ideas how I could resolve or get around this?

Thanks,

EnDarkEnd

More specifically, what's wrong is I can't frame seek avi video clips like I used to be able to with Win 98. I used to be able to eNow, when I bring up an avi (divx 3 or 4) in the editing window. With windows 98, I could click on different spots of the editing window timeline, and it would display whatever frame I was on. Now, when I try this, it just stays stuck on whatever the first frame of the clip is -- I can't even seek using the arrow buttons. Any ideas what could be causing this

EnDarkEnd
Org Profile

Post by EnDarkEnd » Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:11 pm

ehhhh.... Nevermind that stuff at the bottom of my post. It seems that when I rewrote my post, I forgot to delete the original stuff and it simply got pushed down. Damn, there really needs to be an editing option with these new forums :roll:.

~EnDarkEnd

Shulocc
Org Profile

Post by Shulocc » Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:59 pm

Did you upgrade or do a complete OS change? If you upgraded you need to uninstall and reinstall Premiere. If you changed OS's completely....uh....well....repeat step one in the previous advice. Oh, oh, oh wait a minute....try reinstalling the codecs and encoders also.

Good luck

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:15 pm

If you're using DivX to edit, well...don't. Try converting the files to another format.

Ditto on the reinstallation advice. If you "upgraded" your system from 98 to 2k, however, you may have no end do your problems; 2k runs much better if you install it cleanly onto a freshly-formatted drive.

EnDarkEnd
Org Profile

Post by EnDarkEnd » Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:39 pm

Yeah, I always do a format and full install when switching my OS, so I'll try reinstalling premiere and hope that fixes things. Thanks for the replies.

-EnDarkEnd

EnDarkEnd
Org Profile

Post by EnDarkEnd » Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:23 pm

Well, I reinstalled premiere and also the divx codecs -- I'm still having the same problem. I'm needing to edit in DivX, because some of the AMVs I want to make are with series that haven't been released on DVD yet, so I have to use the fansubbed versions (which are in DivX). I guess I could encode to huffyuv to work with it, though I'd have some huge files then and would lose some quality. It just bugs me that it worked perfectly fine with 98, but not in 2000. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

EnDarkEnd

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Jul 16, 2002 4:23 pm

I guess I could encode to huffyuv to work with it, though I'd have some huge files then and would lose some quality.
No, huffyuv is a lossless codec. You wont lose any quality.

Shulocc
Org Profile

Post by Shulocc » Tue Jul 16, 2002 4:50 pm

Go here
www.doom9.org
There may or may not be something or someone there who can help.

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”