Video editing program that works with quicktime?

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
emeraldpheonix
Org Profile

Video editing program that works with quicktime?

Post by emeraldpheonix » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:16 pm

Here's my problem. I'm making a few amv's for a school project, but the problem is, I'm on Windows at home, while everything at my school is a mac, and runs on quicktime.

The only thing I have on my computer now is Windows Movie Maker, which I believe doesn't save the files as anything other than wmv. files. I need something that will save them as mpegs, because .avi files don't work well either. Now, I've tried working with adobe premier(trial vers.) and it's a little complicated for me. So is there anything a little simpler?

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:52 pm

Avid FreeDV edits DV (which is what iMovie on a Mac edits). And it's actually free, not a trial.

Magix Movie Edit could also work for you, not 100% sure though.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: Video editing program that works with quicktime?

Post by Scintilla » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:09 pm

emeraldpheonix wrote:The only thing I have on my computer now is Windows Movie Maker, which I believe doesn't save the files as anything other than wmv. files.
Actually, WMM is also capable of exporting DV AVI files, but I guess that doesn't help you unless whatever Mac program you're working with also takes DV.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

emeraldpheonix
Org Profile

Post by emeraldpheonix » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:21 pm

Scintilla wrote:
emeraldpheonix wrote:The only thing I have on my computer now is Windows Movie Maker, which I believe doesn't save the files as anything other than wmv. files.
Actually, WMM is also capable of exporting DV AVI files, but I guess that doesn't help you unless whatever Mac program you're working with also takes DV.
No, I don't believe it does take DV. I think what I'm going to do is just install realplayer on the mac, since I tried the clips on mine here, and they play fine.

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:50 pm

Huh? You're editing RealMedia files?
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

Keeper of Hellfire
Org Profile

Post by Keeper of Hellfire » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:33 am

emeraldpheonix wrote:No, I don't believe it does take DV.
I bet it takes. DV is the format that comes from the majority of digital camcorders, and so nearly every (with exception of some specialized) editing program can handle it. What can happen is that the Mac-programm can't handle the AVI-container, expects the DV-Stream in a Quicktime container.

Many Windows editing programs can export (and import) Quicktime files if the Quicktime player is installed. Check the websites of the manufacturers. Usually the export formats are listed.

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”