Total newbie question about premiere pro

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
Warpwind
Org Profile

Post by Warpwind » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:13 am

andyzhang2 wrote:
Tis is actually a lot better than WMM's auto-cut, becauseyou choose exactly where to cut, when and how and it's easier to stay organized.
You can choose where to cut in wmm...you just go to a place you want to cut it and hit the split button. The benefit of this is if you're working with large files that are 30 minutes long, and several of them, you don't have to work by memory or notes as far as the clips you have available for a certain sequence in the movie. You can just select the smaller clip in your media library thing and see if it works.

I guess if you don't cut the files w/ vdubmod first, you'd have to reset the in and out points to a clip of a 30 minute episode every time you wanted to see if it worked, which could become a pain.
I'm slightly confused by your words.

You only have to reset the in and out points when you want a new clip of a new section. You'd be doing the same thing in virtual dub anyway. But this way you have more flexibility. The only reason to use vdub first would be if you had space issues on your hard drive.

Whenever I'm editing I tend to use one or two video tracks as dumping grounds where I put all the clips I might use. It means I can see a quick image reminding me what they were.

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Gepetto » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:40 pm

Scintilla wrote:(Keyboard shortcuts are a wonderful thing and I wish I knew more of them.)
I hate them because I don't have a numpad. AE's render shortcut was not made for laptop users... *sigh*

andyzhang2 wrote:The benefit of this is if you're working with large files that are 30 minutes long, and several of them, you don't have to work by memory or notes as far as the clips you have available for a certain sequence in the movie.
Yes, instead you have to remember which clip you want to cut. And you can't choose where to cut in WMM with precision. The timeline goes by seconds, not frames. That means you can't be specific. Plus, if the scene you want happens to have been split apart by the autocut, you now have to go around making a collage for something that should already be together in the first place.
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile

Purge
Org Profile

Post by Purge » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:28 pm

andyzhang2 wrote:
Tis is actually a lot better than WMM's auto-cut, becauseyou choose exactly where to cut, when and how and it's easier to stay organized.
You can choose where to cut in wmm...you just go to a place you want to cut it and hit the split button. The benefit of this is if you're working with large files that are 30 minutes long, and several of them, you don't have to work by memory or notes as far as the clips you have available for a certain sequence in the movie. You can just select the smaller clip in your media library thing and see if it works.
trail and error scene selection? pre-made smaller clips maybe make it easier to do that, its definitly seems to be user friendlier option. but whether it actually easier to just simply skim through a large Clip and selecting the scenes as you go along seems a bit of a stretch to me.

dowhatnow
Org Profile

Post by dowhatnow » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:23 am

I personally found it easier to "skim through" and select my in and out points.

Then again, I've never liked WMM.

Premiere was definitely easier to learn, for me at least.

bata1wolf
Org Profile

video

Post by bata1wolf » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:49 am

ok i'm new can someone tell me how to make a music video some one from youtube sent me here.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: video

Post by Scintilla » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:06 am

bata1wolf wrote:ok i'm new can someone tell me how to make a music video some one from hosatchel sent me here.
<a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/">Read the guides</a>.

Experiment.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”