How to convert from .mkv to .avi?

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
omegaevolution
Org Profile

How to convert from .mkv to .avi?

Post by omegaevolution » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:54 pm

don´t know if this is the correct thread to post this, still I have a pack of videos with a .mkv codec and I want to convert them to .avi for better use in my Vegas, the problem is that I don´t know how to do it, if anyone know please help me.

PS: if it can be converted with VirtualDub that would rock, still I need any method possible.

thanks in advance
ImageImage

Xarathion
Org Profile

Post by Xarathion » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:56 pm

VDubMod can do it. I've never messed with editing .mkv's before for though, so I can't really tell you how to fine tune it.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:56 pm

You can load them through an avisynth script using DirectShowSource(), then open that up in virtualdub and save it to a lossless codec like Lagarith.

omegaevolution
Org Profile

Post by omegaevolution » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:57 pm

Zarxrax wrote:You can load them through an avisynth script using DirectShowSource(), then open that up in virtualdub and save it to a lossless codec like Lagarith.
wow I will try that out, thanks
ImageImage

Sub0
Org Profile

Post by Sub0 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:04 am

I use.... hmm... what do I use.... River Past Video Cleaner. It basically takes the avi OUT of the mkv container and SOME avi's are raws!! So if you got it from a good fansubber (like I got my SHIT footage for my Corn segment, with apologies to Zarxrax for riding on his wave of popularity ;p) than you'll get it without subtitles at all! ;p
Oh, but the demo version of Riverpast leaves a tiney watermark.... Tere's other 'mkv rippers' but I can't get any of them to work :D

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Re: How to convert from .mkv to .avi?

Post by Gepetto » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:37 pm

omegaevolution wrote:.mkv codec
excuse me for a second *patches bleeding eyes*... there... now:

Look no further.

Here's how you do it:

1: open the MKV/OGM in virtualdubmod,
2: go to the "streams" tab, deactivate all audio,
3: then go to the "video" tab and select "Direct Stream Copy"
4: now File>Save As... and save as an AVI.

You'll have the video with no audio in AVI. If the file doesn't open in VDM, load it through a directshowsource AVS with the killaudio() command.

IF IT STILL DOESN'T WORK, you need to convert to lossless:
1: Download HuffYUV.
2: Open VirtualDubMod again, deactivate the audio, but this time select "Fast Recompress" on the video tab.
3: Video>Compression, select HuffYUV.
4: File>Save As...

Done. You have a huge lossless AVI file. If it's too big, then save clips rather than entire episodes.
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile

omegaevolution
Org Profile

Post by omegaevolution » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:09 pm

:? it says:
Avisynth open failure:
DirectShowSource: Could not open as video or audio

Video returned: "DirectShowSource could not open file C:\blablabla.mkv: it can not be reproduced. Format is not compatible."
same happened with the audio, do I need a codec too to open the file in VDB?
ImageImage

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:48 pm

get VirtualDubMod
it was made specifically for importing other filetypes (like .mkv)...and has a few other features too.

if you don't have a VFW codec for the .mkv file extension (format or container? I don't know) you should get one. If you have FFDshow you should be fine. otherwise, you can google it. (it comes in the amvapp, matroska pack and CCCP)

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:03 pm

Kariudo wrote:if you don't have a VFW codec for the .mkv file extension (format or container? I don't know) you should get one. If you have FFDshow you should be fine. otherwise, you can google it. (it comes in the amvapp, matroska pack and CCCP)
This only works if the video was encoded using VFW. If you're looking at ISO-MPEG4 or ISO-AVC, you have to load it in through AviSynth/DirectShowSource (unless of course you want to go to the trouble of reordering the frames - MKVExtract should work okay with ISO-MPEG4, but if it's ISO-AVC you need to extract the raw .264 file using MKVExtract's command-line and then run it through avc2avi). Still, VDubMod does have the Open via AviSynth option in the Open dialog box that lets you set DirectShowSource and open the file that way.

omegaevolution
Org Profile

Post by omegaevolution » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:38 pm

Kariudo wrote:get VirtualDubMod
it was made specifically for importing other filetypes (like .mkv)...and has a few other features too.

if you don't have a VFW codec for the .mkv file extension (format or container? I don't know) you should get one. If you have FFDshow you should be fine. otherwise, you can google it. (it comes in the amvapp, matroska pack and CCCP)
I think I don´t have that lol, ok I will download it and see what happens, thanks for the help ^^"
ImageImage

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”