Virtual Dub error

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
WitchoftheSand
Org Profile

Virtual Dub error

Post by WitchoftheSand » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:33 pm

I am sort of a noob when it comes to this, so forgive me for my ignorance.

I'm trying to open an AVI file in VirtualDub, and as far as I know, nothing seems to be wrong with the file itself. Yet, whenever I try playing it, an error message pops up:

VideoSourceAVI error: The source image format is not acceptable. (error code -2)

I'm really clueless about this, could someone please help me?

reddragon_syndicate
Org Profile

Post by reddragon_syndicate » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:35 am

Here is the latest version of VirtualDubMod. See if that does anything for you.
[MOD17: Removed 341 instances of the word "please" and 55 exclamation marks.]

WitchoftheSand
Org Profile

Post by WitchoftheSand » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:03 am

I already had the latest version, but I redownloaded it anyway to see if it would change anything.

I'm sorry to say that it didn't. Thank you, though.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:41 am

what codec is the avi file encoded with, and do you have it on your computer?

WitchoftheSand
Org Profile

Post by WitchoftheSand » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:22 am

The DV codec is what it's encoded with, and I have it on my computer as Panasonic.

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:57 am

Try this:

Click on File > Open video file via AviSynth... On the bottom of the window that pops up you can either leave the Template as Default (AviSource) or change it to DirectShowSource.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:31 am

Willen wrote:Try this:

Click on File > Open video file via AviSynth... On the bottom of the window that pops up you can either leave the Template as Default (AviSource) or change it to DirectShowSource.
I had her try that.

Nada

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:29 am

I remember something like this before.

What resolution is the video clip? 720 x 480? Or something else? IIRC, DV AVI must be 720 x 480 pixel resolution or VirtualDub/Mod will throw up this error or something like it. Although I would think that it would be very hard to get non 720 x 480 DV AVI.

-OR-

The colorspace is wrong. IIRC, DV should be YUY2.

-OR-

Is this a Type-1 DV file or Type-2 DV? VirtualDub/Mod only accepts Type-2 DV files.

Well, this is what the VirtualDub support forums have to say...
The source image format is not acceptable (error code -2)
There are three main causes for this to happen:

1. You are trying to compress a video in a format that is not supported by the codec. This will usually mean that the frame height and width are incorrect or that the color depth is not valid. To see what restrictions there are for a codec go to video-->compression and select the codec. The codec restrictions will now appear in a box right of the middle in this window.

2. It happens when trying to play the file in VirtualDub. This is the result of a codec that is trying to decompress a video stream, which it actually cannot handle. This shouldn't be happening, but there are a few codecs (e.g. Panasonic DV) that will try to decompress anything they can get their hands on. Check the file info in VirtualDub and look up the codec used for decompression. Then uninstall/disable this codec and open the file again and see if it plays. It might be possible that with opening the file you will get another type of error message, which will be dealt with now.

3. This error is also common with DivX and can have two main possible causes for it. First of all, it is recommended that in the advanced setting of the DivX config, you disable "Do not prompt with errors and warnings". Why this setting is not disabled by default I don't know, complain to DivX about it. If you now start your encode again an error message will appear. Usually there are problems with the logfile or the dimensions of your video are not correct. With DivX hardware profiles enabled, there are maximum resolutions you can encode with (e.g. 720x576 is the maximum res for the Home Theatre profile). It could also be that you have issues as described at number 1.

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:32 am

Oh yeah, 720 x 576 is acceptable for PAL DV sources.

And there may be problems with odd framerates too. Should be 29.97fps for NTSC and 25fps for PAL. 23.976fps progressive may be acceptable using the Panasonic codec. Maybe.

WitchoftheSand
Org Profile

Post by WitchoftheSand » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:02 pm

The resolution was not 720 x 480, but when I tried resizing it there was no change in the error.

As for the color space and type files, they all seem to be fine.

I did read that post in the VirtualDub support forums, but after following all that they suggested, nothing seemed to work and that's when I turned here.

I converted the file with DivX Converter and it seemed to work fine in VirtualDub after that, so I guess I just have to do that with all of these kinds of files from now on.

I appreciate all of the help you guys have offered and the next time I have a problem, I'll come here for sure.

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”