More Premiere Pro help

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
Beowulf
Org Profile

More Premiere Pro help

Post by Beowulf » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:05 pm

Whenever I open a project I have that has quite a few files, premiere pro instantly gives me a message saying "Premiere Pro is running low on system memory. Please proceed with caution", and then as soon as I click on anything it crashes within 15 seconds.

When the project is open, my Page File usage is at 2.05 GB. As soon as it goes above about 2.10, premiere instantly crashes.

I'm using AVS files with quite a few processing options. I'm deinterlacing on the fly and there is no way to turn that off as I've made my project so far with those settings.

Chaning the SetMemoryMax() has no effect, as does changing the page file size. I'm using premiere pro 2.0 with the newest version of the premiere AVS plugin (1.5).

What the hell can I do? Is there any sort of patch for Premiere that I don't know about? Is this just the limitations of the AVS plugin? I've got 2 gigs of ram and PLENTY processing power so I doubt that is the issue. What is weird is that it would seem like a page file issue but I've adjusted the page file to several sizes, all having no effect.

Help.

Beowulf
Org Profile

Post by Beowulf » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:07 pm

My scripts looks like this:

mpeg2source("d:\Sympathy\JFK\1.d2v",idct=6)
Telecide(guide=1,post=0)
Decimate(cycle=5,quality=0)
LanczosResize(640,360)
AssumeFPS(24)
AddBorders(0,60,0,60)

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:13 pm

This is a limitation of avisynth. Each script uses memory, so when you load a lot of scripts, it can eat up your memory pretty quickly.

One thing you might want to try is consolidating multiple sources into a single script. Of course, you cant do that with sources that are already out on the timeline unless you want to reedit the clips.

The easiest way to do it would probably be something like this:

Code: Select all

video1 = mpeg2source("d:\Sympathy\JFK\1.d2v",idct=6)
video1 = Telecide(guide=1,post=0)
video1 = Decimate(cycle=5,quality=0)
video1 = LanczosResize(640,360)
video1 = AssumeFPS(24)
video1 = AddBorders(0,60,0,60)

video2 = mpeg2source("d:\Sympathy\JFK\2.d2v",idct=6)
video2 = Telecide(guide=1,post=0)
video2 = Decimate(cycle=5,quality=0)
video2 = LanczosResize(640,360)
video2 = AssumeFPS(24)
video2 = AddBorders(0,60,0,60)

return video1++video2
Alternatively, I would recommend saving your scripts to a lossless codec such as lagarith. They are a lot quicker to work with than avs scripts, and you wont run into the memory issues.

Beowulf
Org Profile

Post by Beowulf » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:42 pm

Thanks for that tip Zarx, now I have to worry about whether or not my 50 some odd vobs at 5gs per vob will fit onto my HD :uhoh:

Should I convert them to lossless YV12 or YUY2 or should I stick with RGB?

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:47 pm

If you are using lagarith i'd definately keep it in yv12, since the dvd source is yv12. It's a lot smaller than rgb. In lagarith there is a setting to "always suggest rgb for output" or something like that. When you check that box, lagarith will convert the clips to rgb on-the-fly inside of premiere.

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”