effects question

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:55 pm

you're missing the DV codec.
choose one, any one

you should then be able to import it in vdubmod without any trouble

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:47 am

salemshady wrote:...
2) i thought i had this figured out but its not working like it did the last time. the transition duration!! how do you change that again? i tried stretching the quarter circle thing from clip A to B! I got it to work before a couple of times when i fooled around with the transition effects, but its not working anymore... i am not doing it right!
You can help yourself (and us!) by using the Help function. There's a lot of good info in those Help menus. Press F1, then search the list for "Adding transitions", "Adjusting an event's length" etc.

The full version of Vegas does not include this, but the cheaper Vegas Movie Studio has "Show Me How" interactive tutorials. They will literally show you how to do all the basic stuff. If you don't want to buy a copy, the trial version is good for (I think) 30 days which makes for a good learning period.

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:05 am

Kariudo wrote:you're missing the DV codec.
choose one, any one

Possible, but unlikely. He/she already has the DV codec. Otherwise, Vegas would not have created a DV file.

The problem is that the default DV codec uses DirectShow and VDubMod prefers VfW. You can still get it to work by using an AVS file with the directshowsource() function. I'll let somebody else explain AVS files.

As for the compression stuff, this is a cut-n-paste of something I posted several months ago. Ignore the WMM references. It will work with any DV-encoded AVI file. In fact, I've used it many times with Vegas-generated DV files (use the NTSC DV rendering template).
Before You Begin
1. Render your video with the high-quality, NTSC DV setting. If you are using WMM, click Save Movie, choose a Setting of "Other" and a profile of "DV-AVI NTSC (25 Mbps)".

For users of other editing software, the following procedure assumes a file with standard NTSC DV settings:

720x480
29.97 frames/second
0.909 pixel aspect ratio
interlaced with lower field first
16-bit 48KHz PCM uncompressed audio
OpenDML AVI version 2.0 compatible

2. Test your rendered file. Make sure it does what you want it to.

3. Install and test the AMVApp program-set if you have not already done so.

Create the AVS file
1. Use Notepad to create a simple-text file that contains the following three lines:

directshowsource("c:\work\myvideo.avi")
ConvertTo YV12(interlaced=true)
TomsMoComp(1,5,1)

The first line should contain - between the quotation marks - the complete pathname to the DV AVI file. Now save this text file with a filename that ends in .avs; for example, myvideo.avs.

2. Start VirtualDubMod and open this new AVS file: click File-Open Video File, then navigate to and select the AVS filename.

Create the MP3 audio file

3. Click Streams-Stream List. There will be only one available stream. Click the Save WAV button and choose a file name in the same directory. When it's done, click OK and minimize (or close) VirtualDubmod. Make sure the WAV file is in the directory and that it plays properly.

WARNING: Do this immediately after opening the AVS file (step 2). Do not press the Play button or move the time marker. If you do, VirtualDubMod may produce a WAV file that is out of synch with the original audio.

4. From the AMVapp program list, start the BeSweet GUI from the Audio Apps list. Click the folder icon next to the Input button at the top left of the BeSweet window. In the Select Input window, select the WAV file you made in the previous step. Click OK. The Output file will be set automatically to an MP3 filename.

5. In the top right panel, click the profile called AbsoluteDestiny_MP3_CBR_224. Make sure that line is highlighted and click the button at the lower right that is called "WAV to MP3". When the log file appears in a Notepad window - this may take several minutes - it will be done. (You can discard the log.)

6. Locate the new MP3 file and make sure it plays. When you're satisfied, close the BeSweet GUI (Exit button, lower right corner) and bring up VirtualDubMod again.

Note: Although it is possible to create your DV file without audio and then merge the MP3 through VirtualDubMod, this method is almost foolproof and will guarantee that the video and audio will be synchronized.

Do the XviD Encode (two-pass)

7. At this point you should have four files in your working directory. Your filenames will be different, but the three letters after the period must be the same for each one.

myvideo.avi <-- DV AVI video
myvideo.avs <-- AVISynth file
myvideo.wav <-- uncompressed audio, no longer needed
myvideo.mp3 <-- compressed audio

8. We want to substitute the MP3 audio for the audio in the AVI file. In VirtualDubMod, select Streams-Stream List again. With the AVI audio stream highlighted, click the button called Disable. Then click Add and select the MP3 file that you encoded previously. Click OK.

9. Next, select File-Save As. Click the Change button next to the Compression setting.

10. In the top left panel highlight "XviD MPEG-4 Codec" and click Configure. Go through each setting panel and set the following.

Set Profile@Level to AS@L5. Click "more" and enable these settings on the Profile tab (ignore the Level and Aspect Ratio tabs):
Quantization type to H.263
No option boxes checked
B-VOPs checked
Set for Max of 2, ratio of 1.50, offset of 1.00
Uncheck Packed bitstream
Check Closed GOV
Click OK
Set Encoding type to Twopass 1st pass. Click "more" and enable these settings:
Leave filename as is
Uncheck Full quality first pass
Check Discard first pass
Click OK
Click Advanced Options and at the Motion tab...
Motion search 6
VHQ mode 4
Check Chroma motion
Uncheck Turbo
Frame drop ratio 0
Max I-frame 300
uncheck cartoon mode
Still in Advanced Options and at the Quantization tab...
Set all minimums to 2, maximums to 31
Check Trellis quantization
Still in Advanced Options and at the Debug tab...
Select Automatically detect
FourCC used = DX50
Outputdebug = 0x0
Uncheck Print debug
Check Display encoding status
Click OK

11. After all that click OK until you're back at the Save As screen. Change the Video mode to Fast-Recompress. Enter a file name that indicates a first pass; e.g. myvideo-pass1.avi. Then click Save. When it's done make sure the new file is in your working directory. Close or minimize the XviD Status window.

12. Go back to the XviD configuration window (File-Save As, Change button). Make sure the XviD codec is still highlighted and click Configure. Change the Encoding Type to Twopass-2nd pass. Click "more" and set the following if they are not already set:

Leave filename as is
I-frame boost at 10
I-frame closer than... at 1
Are reduced by at 20
Overflow control strength at 20
Max overflow improvement at 5
Max overflow degradation at 5
High bitrate scenes degradation at 0
High bitrate scenes improvement at 0
Click OK

13. Still in the XviD Configuration window, make sure that Target Size is selected (If not, click Target Bitrate to toggle the mode.)

14.Click the Calc button to bring up the Bitrate Calculator. Make sure the audio section at the bottom shows CBR with a 224 average bitrate. Set frames per second to 30 and set the hours/minutes/seconds to the correct values for your video (Note: open the original AVI with a player if you need those numbers.) Set the Target Size to something between 50000 and 100000 for a typical 4-5 minute video. This is where you have flexibility to try different sizes until you're satisfied. Click OK.

15. Back in the XviD Configuration window, the Target Size window will have the calculated size (or close to it). Click OK twice. Back in the Save As window change the filename to be a pass-2 save. Then click Save.

All Done

This 2nd-pass file is the final XviD-encoded AVI file that you can test with your favorite MPEG-4 player.

While VirtualDubMod is still running, you can go back to step 14 and repeat the steps for different file sizes.

For further study or additional details about this topic, see the AMV Guides.

salemshady
Org Profile

Post by salemshady » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:14 am

thanks guys! got busy with school for a while...didnt even get the DV yet... but i will .. first thing in the morning

salemshady
Org Profile

Post by salemshady » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:33 am

Kariudo wrote:you're missing the DV codec.
choose one, any one

i downloaded the codec but couldnt find an installer file. i am guessing you just put the folder somewhere in teh virtualdubmod folder of the amvapp folder. but i am not sure. how do i know for sure?!

salemshady
Org Profile

Post by salemshady » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:08 am

i got another question.. not sure if it is effects based, but here goes:
lets say i have 3 slips A,B and C. A is on 10 secs on the timeline, B on 20 sec and C on 30 seconds. Now i have C at 30 because C syncs in really well with the song at 30 seconds. so when i move clip B towards A to transition it, Clip C moves up the timeline too and totally goes out of sync. Iam sure there are options to avoid automatic changes on the timeline. but i cant figure how to it. if i cant get this figured out, my poor little amv will have to be on standby! help
thankx

salemshady
Org Profile

Post by salemshady » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:09 am

salemshady wrote:i got another question.. not sure if it is effects based, but here goes:
lets say i have 3 slips A,B and C. A is on 10 secs on the timeline, B on 20 sec and C on 30 seconds. Now i have C at 30 because C syncs in really well with the song at 30 seconds. so when i move clip B towards A to transition it, Clip C moves up the timeline too and totally goes out of sync. Iam sure there are options to avoid automatic changes on the timeline. but i cant figure how to it. if i cant get this figured out, my poor little amv will have to be on standby! help
thankx
shoot.. typo error.. its not slips.. its clips

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”