Ripping DVDs with DVD Shrink

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
Cagari
Org Profile

Ripping DVDs with DVD Shrink

Post by Cagari » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:34 am

I'm not sure if you can do that on DVD Shrink, so please excuse me for saying "ripping" if you can't...
I wanted to rip my FFAC DVD and make a new music video with it. I have the files on my Computer now, but they're all in VOB and BUP format. Can I use a file converter to convert them to AVI or any other format acceptable to some video making programs?
And if any of you know any good ways and programs to rip DVDs with, I would very much like to hear them. Thank you!
#1: "WHAT DID I JUST SAY!?!?"
#2: "What did I just say".

Keeper of Hellfire
Org Profile

Post by Keeper of Hellfire » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:46 am

Take a look at EADFAG if you wanna make AMV. Regarding your specific question, read the section about Ripping DVD Footage.

Cagari
Org Profile

Post by Cagari » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:10 am

Thank you very much! I've been trying to find a guide like this.
#1: "WHAT DID I JUST SAY!?!?"
#2: "What did I just say".

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:44 am

If you are using DVD Shrink to do your DVD ripping (aka. copying the VOB files to your hard drive), you want to make sure that it doesn't compress the video when it rips it to your hard drive. Normally DVD Shrink would need to compress the video to make it fit onto a DVD5 and you don't want it to do that, since compressing it will mean a loss in quality. Set the compression of the Title you are ripping to "No compression" (this may make DVD Shrink complain about the DVD being to big or something, ignore it). You would also want to use the "Re-author" mode since you don't need the menus and a bunch of the extras.

Of course, using DVD Decrypter like recommended in the guides allows for a bit more control over the rips. But if you'd rather not download and install another program on your computer, DVD Shrink is a viable alternative to DVD Decrypter for most DVD ripping.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”