Question on Compression

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
Bluffmaster
Org Profile

Question on Compression

Post by Bluffmaster » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:39 pm

Ok i am making a street fighter amv and i rip my footage from dvd got from netflix and for some reason i dont now why but i compresse it to divx i think or xvid don't remember and i return the DVD to get Trgun lmao well so now i am stuck becasue the street fightrer is still nic equality divx 700mb but it is avi. and that means everytime i import it to Vegas all i get is audio and i dont feel like it to recompression and ruin the quality alot worse and so any help fixing my problem and i dont feel like getting street fighter from netflix again it is my sister turn the next mouth so i know she wotn let me get it so any help will be nice

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:13 pm

1) Did you keep the VOBs you ripped, or do you just have the XviD/DivX AVIs?

2) Recompressing will not hurt the quality... <b>if you use a lossless codec.</b> That's something like HuffYUV or Lagarith. Of course, if you do, you'll want to cut only the clips you need; you will NOT have the hard drive space to store the entire movie in HuffYUV or Lagarith.

3) Also read <a href="http://www.amvwiki.org/index.php/DivX_Editing">this</a> for another option (serving the DivX/XviD files with AVISynth) that doesn't require recompressing at all.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Bluffmaster
Org Profile

Post by Bluffmaster » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:21 pm

I dont have the Vobs thought will never use that and my hardrive is 40gb not good but useful and so if i use the loseless codec likw huffy how am i able to what the word make clips if i cant go into vegas ??????

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:28 pm

Bluffmaster wrote:I dont have the Vobs thought will never use that and my hardrive is 40gb not good but useful and so if i use the loseless codec likw huffy how am i able to what the word make clips if i cant go into vegas ??????
You use a different program, like <a href="http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net">VirtualDubMod</a>, to do the conversion.

There's a handy getting-started guide for VDubMod <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... l">here</a>.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Bluffmaster
Org Profile

Post by Bluffmaster » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:38 pm

well how do i make clips in virutaldubmod all it is good for it compression right

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:06 pm

read the vdub help that Scintilla linked you to.
basically you use the mark in and mark out buttons to choose a part of the video, then go to file-save as to save just that little portion
(to give you an idea of how much space it'l take up making lossless clips in vdub, ~350 clips (avg length 1 sec)= ~6GB)

VirtualDub(/Mod) can be used to mux/demux audio from streams in addition to being able to encode/transcode footage.

there are also a variety of filters that allow you to clean up video (though most of the time you'd probably be better off using AviSynth to do that kinda of stuff...but vdub's filters can come in handy)

there's also a company trying to pass it off as an editing program (which it technically can be. There is at least one video on this site made completely with AviSynth and VirtualDub)...so as you can see, vdub(/mod) can do more than just encode footage

Bluffmaster
Org Profile

Post by Bluffmaster » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:09 pm

**** 6gb ok going to learn how to use the clips man going to takeme a long time is it hard doing it

Bluffmaster
Org Profile

Post by Bluffmaster » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:14 pm

man is quality everything in a amv becasue 6gb is wayto much space for my laptop and i am going to lose alot of my memory and laptop going slow anyothe rway for me to do this man i cant do that many clips any other way guys please cant takeup the space guys

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:08 pm

Kariudo wrote:there's also a company trying to pass it off as an editing program (which it technically can be. There is at least one video on this site made completely with AviSynth and VirtualDub)...so as you can see, vdub(/mod) can do more than just encode footage
*cough* All my videos before July 2003 were edited with VirtualDub only-no AviSynth. *cough*

But generally, editing with VDub is incredibly limited and tiresome. It's much easier to use an NLE.

Bluffmaster
Org Profile

Post by Bluffmaster » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:42 am

What is NLE

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”