Replacing avs files...

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
Akashio
Org Profile

Replacing avs files...

Post by Akashio » Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:44 am

I have a major probelm. I'm making a video with avisynth and converted my d2v files to crappy mpgs for editing and was planning to just replace the dummy avs file which had this code:

video = DirectShowSource("D:\metropolis\1.mpg")
audio = WAVSource("D:\metropolis\video_ts\1 AC3 T03 3_1ch 32Kbps 48KHz.wav")
AudioDub(video, audio)

with the one below:

LoadPlugin("C:\windows\system\mpeg2dec.dll")
video = Mpeg2Source("D:\metropolis\video_ts\1.d2v")
audio = WAVSource("D:\metropolis\video_ts\1 AC3 T03 3_1ch 32Kbps 48KHz.wav")
AudioDub(video, audio)

But when I replace the avs files and start premiere up, it freezes and becomes completely inactive. How can I do this properly? I'm confused...

I did try replacing the avs files with the "replace files" feature from within premiere, but that had the same effect. Oh, and all the vobs are still on my system so I'm not missing any files. the mpeg2dec.dll file is in the correct directory as well. Any thoughts about how I can fix this?

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:40 am

Well, I have had trouble with this sort of thing before.

What I do is the following:

Instead of using the replace clips option, I rename all my editing clips (or the directory they are in. When Premiere loads up it will individually ask for the location of the clip - at which point I put in the avs file.

For some reason this way doesn't cause the lockup. The replace clips function seems to have a smart autocomplete thing that causes the lockup - or at least thats what it seems like.

However, I tend to use avi files so you might be having trouble because you are using mpegs. Even with avisynth, mpegs through directshow source aren't frame accurate so that migth cause some troubles. It depends.

Hopefully my method will work for you though.

Akashio
Org Profile

dammit

Post by Akashio » Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:05 am

ok, I just tried that and when I pointed it to the new avs files, it wouldnt let me replace them because they're different file types :( . Is there anyway around this??? I deperately need help.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sat Jul 13, 2002 2:06 am

Thing is - you may have shot yourself in the foot.

MPEG and avi are handled very differently by premiere as they require different kinds of reading for editing. It's very possible that it will only accept an mpg as a replacement.

I'm a little confused though - how are they different file types? I thought that you were editing with the avs file. Are there any other differences between the mpg version and the original other than quality?

Akashio
Org Profile

Post by Akashio » Sat Jul 13, 2002 4:13 pm

shit... so do I just do it all over again with avis?

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”