On networking

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
EBwiz
Org Profile

On networking

Post by EBwiz » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:18 pm

So currently, I live in a house of 4 anime fans/video editors, adn we're all linked together through a router. Of course, this means lots of anime we all own collectively. Now, is it a good idea to use AVISynth files in premiere over a network so that we can all have different DVDs on different computers so we have massive storage for our source material (For multiple AMVS, longer series, things like that) or is this generally not a good idea?
Founder of Digital Relay and <A HREF="http://digitalrelay.8m.com/arcadia.html">Arcadia Studios</a>
Anime Music Video Advice AKA: Stuff I learned as a Newbie:
- NEVER use Windows Movie Maker
- NEVER Ask dumb questions

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:30 pm

I'm probably not the best person to answer this, but I don't think that you should encounter any problems.
The only thing that might happen is that your video quality might suffer because of repeated copying.

Keeper of Hellfire
Org Profile

Post by Keeper of Hellfire » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:24 am

Sharing the footage over a network doesn't affect quality. I assume you have a 100 MBit network. So the work with non-local files will be much slower than with the local ones. That's one problem. The other is, if the PC where the file is stored is disconnected. :wink:

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:57 pm

Speed is the main concern here. You'd definately want to use the bait and switch method of editing to speed things up. Encoding would be slow but that bit you can start then walk away so no big deal. You'd also suffer if there was heavy network use, IE a lan game on the other computers or something. Technically there's nothing wrong with your idea as long as the speed is acceptable to you.

milkmandan
Org Profile

Post by milkmandan » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:21 pm

i've got this set up at my place...

i have a wireless router, and i have 2 computers on the Ethernet and 2 more on wireless.

Speed is a massive issue..if you are dealing with a lossless file and you use avisynth..it probably will be slow. my suggestion is if you dont want to deal with any lag or speed issue...get a router than can support 1 G/bit ethernet and get LAN Cables that are 1 G/bit. You'd probably have no problem then....should..have no problem ;)

and as mentioned..make sure if you are synthing something from another persons compy, they aren't doing too much with their computer. like playing a game or downloading torrents or whatever.

yeah and quality wont be affected...its all digital video so really you wont lose quality unless your computer screws over while you are copying somethign over.

ha har
Image Image

MortalGathum
Org Profile

Post by MortalGathum » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:14 pm

cat 6 ethernet cables are your friend too bad they cost about 10$ per foot

But my system is usb 2.0 with a 500gig seagate external drive. I just throw it to who ever needs to copy something it takes five minutes then they throw it back at me[/code]

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:55 pm

MortalGathum wrote:cat 6 ethernet cables are your friend too bad they cost about 10$ per foot
More like 50 cents to a dollar per foot (example).

ANTDrakko
Org Profile

Post by ANTDrakko » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:21 pm

Someone wrote:blah blah blah, bait and switch , blah blah blah

Bait and switch are your best friend in such cases, as well as most editing cases.

With this method, the only real drawback is how crappy the footage is that your working with, not the final output.

I believe you me, I can watch me some crap.

~Seen

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”