A TIP FOR IMPROVING VISUAL QUALITY FOR BEGINERS

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
danarchking777
Org Profile

A TIP FOR IMPROVING VISUAL QUALITY FOR BEGINERS

Post by danarchking777 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:02 pm

i have found a few pointers that may help new editors:

when clipping/saving source footage its wise to save as FULLY UNCOMPRESSED

allways deinterlace BEFORE you edit or even clip footage

when exporting your amv from your editor save as FULLY UNCOMPRESSED

(this is if you have the hdd space to spare. its gonna take around 10-20GB for clips AND exported video file)

use virtualdubmod to change color space, filter out noise, and compress the final version with the compressor of your choice.

a VERY good guild can be found here in the how to guilds section:

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech/

please read it all , these guys know what they're talkin about.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:23 pm

And the biggest tip of all, you know all those shows you downloaded for footage? Delete them and buy the damned DVD already.

danarchking777
Org Profile

Post by danarchking777 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:25 pm

godix wrote:And the biggest tip of all, you know all those shows you downloaded for footage? Delete them and buy the damned DVD already.

yea.downloaded video is bad quality

devilmaykickass
Org Profile

Post by devilmaykickass » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:52 am

I look at how people talk like DVDs = automatic good quality, then I look at my Sailor Moon DVDs...then I laugh.

ryoneko
Org Profile

Post by ryoneko » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:55 pm

Not to mention not all anime is released on dvd over here. Rockman.exe for example, got a dub-only release, with missing episodes and edited footage. Completely unusable. With Japanese dvds twice the price, it's impossible to afford over 100 episodes worth.

Don't discredit amvs just because of their source when it can't be helped, I'm tired of that discrimination.

danarchking777: Thanks for all the tips. :33 *saves*

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:01 pm

devilmaykickass wrote:I look at how people talk like DVDs = automatic good quality, then I look at my Sailor Moon DVDs...then I laugh.
DVDs != automatic good quality

DVDs == automatic better quality than downloaded footage
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:44 am

ryoneko wrote:Don't discredit amvs just because of their source when it can't be helped, I'm tired of that discrimination.
This is the digital age, there's really little excuse for new videos looking like shit. Even downloaded footage can look at least acceptable if cleaned up and I've seen many examples of that. Downloaded footage won't be as great as properly processed DVD rips but it can still look better than the majority of what's done. Too many people think using downloaded footage gives you a free ride on video quality. Sorry, it don't work that way, here's your 3 on video quality and next time try running at least a temperal smoother if nothing else.

But my comment was really based on shows avalable on DVD. If the series is avalable on DVD in America (or whatever hellhole you live in) then use it. No excuses, no pity parties, no forgivness. Just use the damned DVD. I'm getting pretty sick of seeing videos with Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Inu Yasha, DBZ, Berserk, Sailor Moon, etc. downloaded footage.

ryoneko
Org Profile

Post by ryoneko » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:43 pm

I absolutely agree that decent video can be made from downloaded source - if done correctly. I have no pity for those who use realvideo or low quality footage. I try my absolute hardest to at least get the raws, so the video hasn't been compressed by fansubbers, thus retaining the original quality.

If someone were to release Rockman.exe on dvd over here, I'd spend every dime I had on them. XP but until then...

Al'x
Org Profile

Post by Al'x » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:48 pm

I think that DJ Izumi's trailer that is famous for having good quality was made with downloaded footage. (not for sure...)

devilmaykickass
Org Profile

Post by devilmaykickass » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:33 pm

Oh I definitely agree that people should use DVDs, and I definitely agree DVDs are 99% of the time going to be free of all the flaws that downloaded footage is. I buy DVDs, and I use them...but I just get sick of people automatically deeming everything that looks crappy as "oh they must of used downloaded footage" and then acting like a DVD is the answer to every visual flaw.

There are exceptions...like the Sailor Moon Super S DVDs released by Pioneer...the fansubs that floated around for years before it was finally released actually look better than the commercial DVDs...and that's why people who say "BUY THE DVD OR ELSE" really piss me off at times...because that's exactly why we keep getting craptastic DVDs...because people keep buying them.

Of course, I bought those DVDs myself, but only because I didn't think they would look that bad.

Oh, and if you want to know how bad, here's a screen shot (commercial DVD, remember):

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”