Avalon in Premiere

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
Wyverex
Org Profile

Avalon in Premiere

Post by Wyverex » Mon Jul 08, 2002 5:46 am

For those who have seen Avalon : is there any effect in Premiere which makes something like that halo present during the whole film (except in the real part)?

It's like a radial blur except that it detects edges and blur them from inside.

For the moment I use "solarize" effect but it only works on lighted sequences (dark one become too constrasted).

Wyverex
Org Profile

Post by Wyverex » Mon Jul 08, 2002 4:20 pm

I found something that looks like what I want (if this can help you to understand) :

a Faye Valentine pic

As you see the edges are blurred to the outside...

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Mon Jul 08, 2002 4:34 pm

Oh right...

Now I see (sorry, haven't seen Avalon, not being a big Oshi fan).

Well, the faye image looks mainly like a lens flare (premiere plugin, under video/render filters).

Use very lightly if you dont want your video to look cheap.

Wyverex
Org Profile

Post by Wyverex » Mon Jul 08, 2002 5:44 pm

I wasn't talking about the lensflare effect (I didn't even see there was one ^_^)...

I managed to do something exactly like I want but... in Photoshop. I don't really want to add the effect frame by frame...

Here's what I want (but in Premiere...)

before
after

Maybe I can link Premiere and Photoshop since it's both Adobe soft?

The effect in Photoshop is called "diffuse glow".

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Mon Jul 08, 2002 6:04 pm

Yes, you can import images from Photoshop into Premiere. However, you can't use Photoshop plugins in Premiere.

Wyverex
Org Profile

Post by Wyverex » Mon Jul 08, 2002 6:21 pm

Sob... I was hoping a link that would make Photoshop modify every frames from Premiere, like the frameserver.

My pic looks like I used a brightness setting but it's not : her red hair aren't more or less red on the second pic.

bedlam
Org Profile

Post by bedlam » Mon Jul 08, 2002 7:02 pm

You can use many Photoshop filters in After Effects, just copy the filter into the After Effects filters directory. What you can't do is keyframe photoshop effect parameters in After Effects.

If you don't have After Effects, you're probably going to have to bite the bullet and buy an appropriate filter for Premiere. I'm not to up to speed on what filters are available for Premiere, as I only use it for editing.

You might want to lurk around the Premiere board at www.creativecow.net and ask for a filter that delievers the desired results.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Mon Jul 08, 2002 7:47 pm

I got these results just using Premiere:

This one uses a gradient mask made in photoshop for the darkened corners effect:

Without the mask:

Here's the mask:

These were both done really easily with the Brightness & Contrast effect under Adjust. I upped brightness to 51, contrast remained the same. I also added a Fast Blur to make it a little softer, you can remove it all together or make it lighter.

Hopefully that helps. Iam thinking about looking into writing a program that would allow someone to process a video file with Filter Factory filters applied to it. It'd be complex tho and Iam lazy :p

~klinky[/img]

jescaflowne
Org Profile

Post by jescaflowne » Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:40 pm

You could just output the footage as a bitmap sequence. Save it in a folder of it's own so you'll have all the numbered still frames together. Record the action you want to do in Photoshop. Then do File - Automate - Batch and run the action on every file in your folder with the numbered stills.

Then reassemle the stills in premiere using File - Open - Click on the first image in the sequence - check the box "Numbered Stills"

That's the easiest way I can think to do it.

zalas
Org Profile

Post by zalas » Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:51 am

Have you tried layering one vid on top of the other additively? Make the top vid have a luminance mask or something and then blur it?

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”