AMV Free/Open Source Software Lists

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
Locked
User avatar
Kai Stromler
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:35 am
Location: back in the USSA
Org Profile

Post by Kai Stromler » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:32 pm

Kalium should have linked this page in his initial answer, rather than just assuming that you would understand the distinction -- which does not really, as yet, have much currency beyond those who work in software development or system administration.

The gist of it is that there is a difference between free software and Free Software. The first is "free" in the sense that "free beer" is free. The second is "Free" in the sense that "free speech" is free. In more concrete terms, if users of the software do not have access to the source code for the software, and do not have the right to modify that source code and change the software to fit their own needs, it's not Free, however little it costs to acquire.

hth,

--K
Shin Hatsubai is a Premiere-free studio. Insomni-Ack is habitually worthless.
CHOPWORK - abominations of maceration
skywide, armspread : forward, upward
Coelem - Tenebral Presence single now freely available

User avatar
cmdshft
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:32 am
Status: GALACTUS IS NIGH
Org Profile

Post by cmdshft » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:38 pm

Ah, I see. Well, then the software is free, not Free. I was just listing it for us Windows users, Linux, as stated before, seems to have the best software for DVD/VCD Authoring. Thanks for clearing that up.

User avatar
Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:17 pm
Location: Plymouth, Michigan
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:44 pm

It's not that I was assuming they would know, I was just assuming they would read the entire thread.

trythil
is
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2002 5:54 am
Status: N͋̀͒̆ͣ͋ͤ̍ͮ͌ͭ̔̊͒ͧ̿
Location: N????????????????
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:29 pm

transcode has moved to a new location:

http://www.transcoding.org/cgi-bin/transcode

If a forum mod or administrator could update the list in the first post, I'd appreciate it.

Gokai
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:37 pm
Org Profile

free vs Free

Post by Gokai » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:53 am

Correct me if I'm not wrong.
The definition of "free" is that you can get the program without paying.
The definition of "Free" is that it is opensource(meaning that anyone is "free" to recode the program).
Can we just refer "Free" as "opensource" and leave the regular "free" alone?
This will cause less confusion.

User avatar
Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:17 pm
Location: Plymouth, Michigan
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: free vs Free

Post by Kalium » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:44 am

Gokai wrote:Correct me if I'm not wrong.
The definition of "free" is that you can get the program without paying.
The definition of "Free" is that it is opensource(meaning that anyone is "free" to recode the program).
Can we just refer "Free" as "opensource" and leave the regular "free" alone?
This will cause less confusion.
Don't let RMS hear about that, or you'll get one helluva earful. Trust me on that. Anyway, read this.

trythil
is
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2002 5:54 am
Status: N͋̀͒̆ͣ͋ͤ̍ͮ͌ͭ̔̊͒ͧ̿
Location: N????????????????
Org Profile

Re: free vs Free

Post by trythil » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:13 am

Kalium wrote:
Gokai wrote:Correct me if I'm not wrong.
The definition of "free" is that you can get the program without paying.
The definition of "Free" is that it is opensource(meaning that anyone is "free" to recode the program).
Can we just refer "Free" as "opensource" and leave the regular "free" alone?
This will cause less confusion.
Don't let RMS hear about that, or you'll get one helluva earful. Trust me on that. Anyway, read this.
This gets straight to the point:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-soft ... eedom.html

trythil
is
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2002 5:54 am
Status: N͋̀͒̆ͣ͋ͤ̍ͮ͌ͭ̔̊͒ͧ̿
Location: N????????????????
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:43 am

Holy crap, an update, and I'm not talking about licensing issues!

I've recently been playing with FreeJ, a realtime video processing system, similar to EffecTV but better (in my opinion). The screenshots and website suffice to elaborate on its purpose and capabilities better than I could.

Righteous_Pugs
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:39 am
Org Profile

Post by Righteous_Pugs » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:06 am

Hey guys, I would just like to say thank you for starting this forum, it has so far proved non useful for me but i doubt that will continue for very long. My only question is if there is a movie maker program for macs thats free and i mean really free, if anyone knows what it is and how i can get hold of it. again i say thank you for the feed back.
"Yet to those who recieved in him, to those who believed in his name. HE gave the right to become children of god. Children born not of natrural desent, nor a humans decision, or a husbands will. But born of GOD."- John 1 12-13

trythil
is
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2002 5:54 am
Status: N͋̀͒̆ͣ͋ͤ̍ͮ͌ͭ̔̊͒ͧ̿
Location: N????????????????
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:13 pm

Righteous_Pugs wrote:Hey guys, I would just like to say thank you for starting this forum, it has so far proved non useful for me but i doubt that will continue for very long. My only question is if there is a movie maker program for macs thats free and i mean really free, if anyone knows what it is and how i can get hold of it. again i say thank you for the feed back.
What Mac system? System {7,8,9}? Mac OS X?

Righteous_Pugs
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:39 am
Org Profile

Post by Righteous_Pugs » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:35 pm

trythil wrote:
Righteous_Pugs wrote:Hey guys, I would just like to say thank you for starting this forum, it has so far proved non useful for me but i doubt that will continue for very long. My only question is if there is a movie maker program for macs thats free and i mean really free, if anyone knows what it is and how i can get hold of it. again i say thank you for the feed back.
What Mac system? System {7,8,9}? Mac OS X?
I'm running on an Os 9 system
"Yet to those who recieved in him, to those who believed in his name. HE gave the right to become children of god. Children born not of natrural desent, nor a humans decision, or a husbands will. But born of GOD."- John 1 12-13

_aki_
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 4:15 am
Org Profile

Post by _aki_ » Fri May 27, 2005 5:16 am

I'm looking free programs to do amv's on ubuntu, maybe you have some interesting?

User avatar
bum
17747114553
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:56 pm
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by bum » Sat May 28, 2005 11:28 am

Seriosly? God I wonder about some people. Try the first apge of this thread.

_aki_
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 4:15 am
Org Profile

Post by _aki_ » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:11 am

yeah.....but you know.... the most of this programms are not working on ubuntu

User avatar
Hax
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:08 pm
Org Profile

Post by Hax » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:46 pm

I've been working with OpenVIP a little, and while it seems all right, it seems to be lacking some features. most noticibly the ability to preview. There's a preview window you can pop up, there's no way I can see to play through it. Also, when rendering, it says you can render just the selection, but I can't figure out how to select.

Am I missing something, or is the program just not capable of this. I've looked at a few more but most here seem to be linux based.
AMVs that I have made:
Berserk - The Fight Must Go On - Drama, Action, Violent, Story
Teenage Cowboy Bebop Turtles(TCBT) - Fun, Trailer, Parody

Locked

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”