Rotating video question

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
ask
Org Profile

Rotating video question

Post by ask » Tue Jul 02, 2002 11:50 pm

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and this is my first post. I am interested in recording, downloading, creating, etc. anime videos and more, for viewing on my new Clie palm pilot.

One of its great features is that you can watch movies in widescreen on it.

THIS FEATURE IS NEAT.

I have been experimenting with converting my eppys of the Simpsons and Invader Zim. I have gotten pretty far, and the quality is great. I still can't get them into widescreen mode, though.

<the question>My question is, can anyone point me to a good editing program (free if possible) that can rotate the picture ninety degrees?</the question> I need this capability to create a rotated video file that Kinoma producer can encode into palm database format.

Anyone here watch movies on their palms? It would be cool to start a new subgroup here. I'm willing to create, share, and host anime music videos. But that's a hardware forum issue (sort of).

Thanks for any leads!

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:05 am

Uh......

HUH?

merrow
Org Profile

Post by merrow » Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:59 am

Well, you stumped Jbone. *That* doesn't happen everyday. To answer your question though, you could the "rotate" filter in the free program Virtualdub to re-encode the videos at a 90 rotation. You might lose some quality though as the more you encode stuff usually the further the quality goes down.

That being said...this is the first I've ever heard of people using their palm pilots for something like this. I didn't know they had that sophisticated a display to make it worthwhile. How much does something like that cost?

Merrow

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Wed Jul 03, 2002 7:57 am

Ha ha!

When I hade a palm pilot I played video on it, 4 colors black 'n green. It was actually pretty smooth. But I couldn't hold much on the 2MB of memory I had in the thing. Then you also needed to convert it to like FireBurner file and get the player before you could view the video. It really wasn't that pretty. The newer l33ter palmtops are running Windows CE and not skanky Palm OS which hasn't improved much since it came out. The new Handheld PCs(HPCs) are more powerful now and sport CPUS well over 100Mhz ;\ and IBM microdrives up to 1GB ;)

~klinky

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:34 pm

hey ask :shock:
I've been pondering how cool that would be for a few months, as soon as I can find some source of income I'm gonna get me one of those suckers.
One thing, the latest clie is 320x480 res, this is good, but if they'd just up it to 360x480 you could get full screen 4:3 video, which would be really nice. Anyway, cool thing is they just came out with a 400 mhz processor for PDAs, which will be real good for video. On top of that, they'll have 512 and 1 gig memory sticks and other various tiny media out soon, which will be enough for a movie each. Yah, it will be cool when I can bring my anime music vids and movies to all kinds of random boring places like school and outside...
NMEAMV: PENIS
NMEAMV: IN
NMEAMV: YO
NMEAMV: MIXED
NMEAMV: DRINK

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Thu Jul 04, 2002 1:16 pm

I wasn't stumped, I was stupified.

For the life of me, I can't understand any practical benefit to watching video on a PDA...

mckeed
Org Profile

on a palm???? are you kidding?

Post by mckeed » Sat Jul 06, 2002 11:04 am

me either....i've gotten all of my amv's to play on my iPAQ when i encoded them properlly....yeh the sound sucks unless you use headphones but i was impressed how well it worked in full color....not too many dropped frames after i encoded it correctly.....and all i had to do was dl the new windows media player for it and it was fine. I can see if you got a decent screen doing that....but i see no practiacal use of it unless you got a long commute and you want to catch up on some shows you missed if you are taking the train or something.
"People can not gain anything without putting forth any effort. That is the absolute Truth" - Dante, Full Metal Alchemist

ask
Org Profile

Post by ask » Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:20 pm

Thanks merrow. Sounds like VirtualDub can do what I need. I'll check it out. To answer your question, the Clie I bought (the one with the camera) was $540 at Amazon. Props to RadicalEd for seeing the value the movie feature has.

As soon as those big memory sticks come out, watching a movie on my palm exactly what I look forward to. I have a 45 minute ferry commute, and watching Zim and the Simpsons has been a great way to ignore the ride. Feel like I get there in no time. I envision a day when I have a TiVo, and I can transfer movies and shows I haven't seen to my palm. But for now, I just put anime and movie clips on it to make my friends' mouths water. :twisted: I should get a commission from Sony, I've seriously convinced at least three people so far to buy their palm.

.ask

"waiting for the radical edward 19-2000 video to be made..."

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:52 pm

radicaledward 19-2000 video? what? tell tell

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:53 pm

oh and yea, I was cosidering either a portable dvd player or a pda, but the dvd player would be much bulkier and I would have to make a vcd for every movie

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”