AMV Problems

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:42 pm

A: you buy more ram and pay a professional (like Geek Squad at best buy) a ridiculous ammount of money to install it...or you can buy it and install it yourself.

B: what is it set to now?

~Shikamaru~
Org Profile

Post by ~Shikamaru~ » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:44 pm

initial (168)
max (336)
and how much money is ram and how much too get it installed?

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:59 pm

try initial 512
max 1024

if your computer is only a few years old then it probably uses DDR memory.
I'm not sure what speed your current memory is, but if you don't know/don't feel comfortable with ripping your computer open and replacing delicate parts then you should probably bring it in to be done by a professional.

you should probably shop around and get quotes. I can't say how much the installation would cost...or the memory, I don't have enough information to tell you that (and I don't have time to find out right now)

~Shikamaru~
Org Profile

Post by ~Shikamaru~ » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:01 am

ok thanks man

~Shikamaru~
Org Profile

Post by ~Shikamaru~ » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:05 am

oh and that wont harm my computer will it?

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:10 am

increasing the virtual memory? no

installing ram yourself? if you're not careful you can fry the ram or other parts of your computer

~Shikamaru~
Org Profile

Post by ~Shikamaru~ » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:11 am

ok hey thanks alot dude.

alain1st
Org Profile

I think...

Post by alain1st » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:25 am

I think..You'd better format your hard disk...

"low memories.." mean, your HDD is too overworked or O/S is too old from install.

Your com need hard format

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:18 am

Installing RAM is pretty easy. Just be sure to take a few precautions first.

1. Find out what type of memory you need. Either check the existing memory or do a search on your motherboard or computer model number. http://home.pacbell.net/dbk4297/memory_what_kind.html

2. Decide on how much you need. The minimum I recommend nowadays is 512MB. 1GB is preferred, and 2GB if you can afford it and your motherboard supports that much. 4GB is a bit overkill and there are some issues with Windows having that much memory. Some motherboards will give you better performance if you install memory in pairs (and some older ones require it).

3. After buying the memory it's time to install it! Work on a stable surface (a wooden table is good to reduce the chance of shorting something out). Turn off your computer (duh!). Open your computer and ground yourself to get rid of any possible static electricity you may have by touching a metal part of your computer case (the power supply is usually good). Using an anti-static strap is recommended. Unplug the power cord.

4. Spread apart the clips on each end of the RAM socket. Carefully align the RAM module so that the "key" lines up with the tabs on the socket. Push firmly, but don't force the RAM into the socket. The clips should click into place, if not, you might have the RAM backwards. Flip the RAM module around and try again. Repeat for any additional RAM module(s). Try not to touch the metal contacts on the "bottom" edge of the RAM modules, handle by the edges or at the very least, the "flat" parts.

Now you can close up your case, plug in and power up your computer. Hopefully, if you've done it right, your RAM amount number is much higher now.

Here is an OLD guide from CNET.com (useful for pictures... 64MB to 128MB for WinXP! LOL! Oh, wait. Sorry.)
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Re: I think...

Post by Kariudo » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:44 am

alain1st wrote:I think..You'd better format your hard disk...

"low memories.." mean, your HDD is too overworked or O/S is too old from install.

Your com need hard format
no it doesn't.
low memory means that you don't have enough ram to do what it is that you're trying to do.

the computer is from 2004 or 05, so I'd be suprised if it had anything other than win xp on it.
It's most likely a pre-built computer (which is why I can't say what ram modules you'd need) which wasn't meant for editing videos.

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”