Premiere 6, Firewire Issues? on a Mac

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
makyra
Org Profile

Premiere 6, Firewire Issues? on a Mac

Post by makyra » Mon Jul 08, 2002 6:04 pm

I'm using Premiere 6 on a Ti and firewire to a Sony DV Cam. I've finally been able to resolve a lot of issues, only to have this latest one pop up. I'm hoping someone out there may be able to help me out ^^

All my settings are at 29.97 fps, when the footage is captured, it reports the movie being at 29.97 fps. The project file is set to 29.97 fps as well. Yet, for some reason, on playback, either on the computer or to tape, the footage appears "sped up"

This is driving me crazy. This is my first time using DV and firewire to compose a video. I've tried capturing at 640x480, 320x240 and 720x480. I've tried capturing with DV - NTSC compression and no compression. Aside from my above problem, a good overall walk-through on DV capture/editing/output would be nice too ^_^

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Red Wolf
Org Profile

Post by Red Wolf » Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:10 am

Maybe you should try importing from the camera into iMovie rather than Premiere directly. iMovie, after all, is desiged to import easily from a DV camera. If the footage looks normal in iMovie then simply export using the iDVD option and then import the resulting DV file into Premiere.

For future reference you might want to consider capturing onto an external FireWire hard drive. Laptop hard drives run at a much slower speed and and that can cause frames to be dropped (it is possible that that is your problem but I don't know for sure). A FireWire hard drive running at 7200 rpm (vs 4400 rpm on most TiBook drives) are a lot more suited for video capturing. I use an 80GB FireWire drive myself with my iBook.

makyra
Org Profile

Post by makyra » Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:41 pm

Wow, someone actually read this, even took the time to reply! ^_^ Thanks!

I am using an external HD, 5400 RPM. Things have just been squirrelly :P

Premiere has been doing all sorts of wierd things, from sped up capturing to defaulting to a weird codec no matter what I specified to not even giving me the option to export to tape at all. I've never had any of these issues until I started using Firewire.

I haven't been having much luck with iMovie either. ;_;

I'm trying to get Final Cut Pro as I understand that's what most AMVs creators on a Mac are using, with little to no problems.

Makes me wish I never sold my G4 with its crappy video card, at least it worked :P

Red Wolf
Org Profile

Post by Red Wolf » Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:33 pm

The 5400 rpm drive could be the problem. From my understanding, 5400 is acceptable for hobby work (and no self respecting AMV creator would dub this a "hobby") but 7200 rpm is pro rate.

I use iMovie right now (we'll be learning/using Final Cut Pro with my next video). Tell me what's going on with iMovie and I'll see what I can help ya out with.

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”