And now in the *right* forum...

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
Aneino_Kaijin
Org Profile

And now in the *right* forum...

Post by Aneino_Kaijin » Tue Jul 09, 2002 6:59 pm

Tried following the guide to pull footage from DVDs... gradually worked though the kinks until I now have *tada!* AVS files that will open in Premiere.

The problem (you know this was coming) is that the footage comes out all black. There's nothing there. I've tried re-saving it, changing the DVD2AVI settings, and yes, I did read in the guide to change the pixel aspect ratio and check that it's 720X480 and such, and still nothing (at least now it's not a line anymore)

Any suggestions?

turboneko
Org Profile

Post by turboneko » Tue Jul 09, 2002 7:24 pm

Have you tried to open your AVS files in Virtualdub or windows media player? Does it work there?

If nothing else works you can always add the line:

BilinearResize(360,240)

to your script and work with a smaller window in premiere. When you finish your video just delete the line and export at full resloution ;)

For more info, refer to the unofficial AMV FAQ (link below)
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Aneino_Kaijin
Org Profile

indeed

Post by Aneino_Kaijin » Tue Jul 09, 2002 7:38 pm

They open in windows media player, though jerkily. Figure I can figure that out when I get them actually working in Premiere. And I've tried sizing it down, but it doesn't fix it, even after a restart.

Yah! I think I was better off just watching the videos.

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Tue Jul 09, 2002 7:49 pm

It sounds like you need to install Huffyuv.

Premiere needs Huffyuv in order to interpret the YUV data in the VOB files. (ErMaC can give you a detailed explanation as to why, I don't recall the exact reason/process Premiere follows).

Aneino_Kaijin
Org Profile

Hmmm

Post by Aneino_Kaijin » Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:04 pm

Do I have to drop the driver in Premiere's driver folder as with the other, or is it good where it is?

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:07 pm

Huffyuv isn't a driver, it's a codec.

Aneino_Kaijin
Org Profile

Ah!

Post by Aneino_Kaijin » Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:13 pm

That explains my confusion.

jescaflowne
Org Profile

Post by jescaflowne » Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:33 pm

This sounds like the same problem I had when I started too. Not sure if my solution will work for you, but I set my monitor to something like 1920 by 1080. (Well, something like that, all I know is it was small). My footage then showed up in Premiere. Of course, if this works then it should've also worked when you did the BilinearResize to 360 x 240. But that's my only guess.

Then again, you should probably just listen to jbone, he know's way more about this than I :oops:

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:44 pm

jescaflowne wrote:you should probably just listen to jbone, he know's way more about this than I :oops:
Nah, I'm just good at sounding like I know what I'm talking about. ;-)

Kinematics
Org Profile

Post by Kinematics » Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:23 pm

If you're using AVS files in Premiere, you have to make sure that the source/preview window is at least as large as the video that you're tyring to view. As you resize that window, it will show you the dimensions that the internal clip will be sized to. If it's, say, 300x200, then a resized 360x240 is just going to show up black, never mind a full-sized 720x480. You have to open the window up to at least 360x240 for the smaller version to show up. Better bump up your resolution if you want to see the 720x480.

--
David

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”