My latest video

This forum is for the discussion and announcement of newly created videos that use non anime sources.

Moderator: Forum moderators

Forum rules
This forum is for the discussion and announcement of newly created videos that use non anime sources.
  • Note: The videos posted here do not need a corresponding catalog entry.
Linkin Emerson
Org Profile

My latest video

Post by Linkin Emerson » Wed May 19, 2021 9:48 pm

So this is an animated CGI short, so I still felt it was suitable for the "AMV" label. I go into a bit of detail explaining my limits & challenges in the description within the video, so if you want a bit more context check that out. The intro took waaaaay longer than I intended, but I was absolutely determined to get it the way I wanted it. Many of you prolly know trying to add certain effects can mess things up & not come out the way it looks in some tutorial (no hate on the folks making those though its still cool to learn from those people!)

Anyway its only a few vids in from a 20 year break, but I really liked how it turned out. Please feel free to give any thoughts good or bad its why I am sharing it :lol:

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Re: My latest video

Post by CrackTheSky » Sat May 22, 2021 9:50 am

My biggest hangup with this one is that except for the last quarter of the video it doesn't feel like there's much actual editing -- it mostly just comes across as one extended scene with a song slapped over it that doesn't really sync up with the music in any meaningful or interesting way. Part of that is definitely due to the lack of source footage available -- although my response to that is that an eight-minute short is not a good choice for an almost four-minute music video :P

There are a few great moments near the end, when you do some very deliberate editing to what's in the song, that probably stand out so much to me because of how they contrast with the lack of anything similar in most of the rest of the video. I think next time you just need to choose something longer and you can make something much more dynamic.

Linkin Emerson
Org Profile

Re: My latest video

Post by Linkin Emerson » Sun May 23, 2021 9:36 am

Yeah as I watch it over & over again it does seem stale for the first 60%. That being said throughout the video I prolly have 4-500 seperate cuts & splices, very slight speed ups, slow-downs, or other tweaks I thought were better fits for a small part of the song. I then spent a ton of time tweaking the audio to get as much plane flying, shooting sfx I could while keeping any of the original footages background music etc out. I still see your point & I guess I sorta expected that given the insane tight limit of footage so even when I did move & cut many times all I could do was flip small scenes around or only move them 5-6 scenes back or forward max otherwise it would completely make the video silly cuz the pilots would have way too much blood on them, or the planes would have too much damage early etc. So even though I felt while editing I did tons of work in the end people cant really see that or notice I flopped a scene 15-20 seconds ahead lol. Cuz I simply couldn't waste very much footage so I was forced to use most. I completed the back-half first thinking I had enough footage for the first half of the song then was really struggling which is why I spent 3 days just learning how to modify that ink drop to help save myself a few extra seconds where I didn't need specific flight battle footage. I spent about a week doing this:P lol.

In hindsight I would have used the zombie portion to give myself the other 1.5-2 minutes of possible footage to use. In actuality I had about 6.5-7 minutes max to work with on a song not far from 4 minutes in length. But when I first dropped in the timed slowdown blood drop section I started working around that heavily & didn't give it a chance at some point earlier which is what I would have need to do to have more footage for earlier. I will prolly not be using anything this short ever again lol. I have a few movies on file & such ready to go so plenty to work with for any track there:D

Return to “Other Videos”