Ripping Blu-ray movies

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
Snowcrash
Org Profile

Re: Ripping Blu-ray movies

Post by Snowcrash » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:04 am

Just a little question : mkvtoolnix (mkvmerge) doesn't allow to remux a .m2ts file from BR into a mkv ?

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:10 am

Snowcrash wrote:Just a little question : mkvtoolnix (mkvmerge) doesn't allow to remux a .m2ts file from BR into a mkv ?
I think it cannot handle direct remux, no.
You can, however, demux the tracks and remux them if they are supported. Afaik, it still does not handle SUP subtitles yet, for example. But video and audio should be fine.

Zero1
Org Profile

Post by Zero1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:11 pm

I should probably read the thread, but I'm just heading out for work and I'm wondering since those posts were made, if there have been any developments.

Basically I'm wondering if there is a BD equivalent to the excellent DVD Decrypter, that is something simple to use, automatically obtains the keys and dumps the raw files on the HDD (just like how you used to get a bunch of vobs and then index them and serve with avisynth).

It's not for me personally, but I will end up passing this information on to a friend who wants to rip a bluray, so simply switching out DVD Decrypter with a Bluray equivalent would be great.

I presume that DGIndex would now be obsolete and although I haven't been in the encoding circle for a good 3 years at least, I gather there is an AVC version. So I'd replace my current version with that, and the process should be much the same as ripping/encoding DVDs right?

I had a quick look at some software but the one I found seemed you had to enter your own keys. The bluray in question is K-ON!! Volume 9 which isn't even released yet (shipping early apparently), so we'll have no way of finding the keys or anything.

Sorry for the hasty post, but I'm short on time and really out of the loop.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:01 am

DVDFab HD Decrypter handles both DVDs and Blu-rays. It's free and easy to use and spits out the raw unencrypted stuff from the BD like you want.

As for handling BDs, there's a number of things you can do, and I'm gonna let the choice up to you:
1) Demux the m2ts, remux the video in mkv, and load that in avisynth with ffms2.
2) Use good ol' DGMPGDec if the video is MPEG-2 (K-On!! is AVC so yeah, not a choice in this case)
3) Use DGAVCDec ─ neuron2 doesn't support it anymore and there were some quirks or whatever, so avoid that one if possible.
4) Use DGDecNV, which handles MPEG-2, AVC, and VC-1 just fine, but you need a NVidia GPU with CUDA support. Also, you'll have to donate 15 usd to neuron2 in order to use the software.
5) Use DGAVCDecDi, which uses Di-AVC in order to work (so clearly it's for AVC only). Works on any cpu, but the catch is that, aside for the donation to neuron2 to become a supporter of his (the donation does cover all his software ever, not just one, at least), you'll also have to buy the Di-AVC decoder, which is another 10 eur or so.
6) Load the m2ts directly with DSS2, though I wouldn't really recommend it.

Personally I go with 4, but in case you don't have a gpu w/ CUDA or don't want to donate the 15 bucks, I think the best choice is 1.

Zero1
Org Profile

Post by Zero1 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:09 am

Thanks for the big help. Looks like DVDfab will be the one to replace DVD decrypter for the file dumping stage, and I'll replace my current DGIndex with DGDecNV. Process wise, the steps the ought to be more or less the same as dealing with DVDs, just with slightly different software right? Sounds ideal. I've got various methods of demuxing (tsmuxer which I assume will work for bluray files) and also graphedit, which providing you can view the file in directshow, you can connect it to a raw file writer and use haali to demux.

Thanks I really appreciate it, now I've gotta try these out and see what the deal is.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:15 pm

@snowcrash mkvmerge hasn't got a demuxer for m2ts files so it cannot mux them. Haali's gdsmux can do it though, and assuming you have his splitter installed (highly likely) then you will have gdsmux somewhere or other, search your PC for it.

PGS/SUP streams cannot be placed into matroska directly as far as I can recall though so you'll need to handle those another way.

joshieboy
Org Profile

Post by joshieboy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:41 pm

I tried using the DSS2 method as specified in A&E's technical guide, but when I open the .avs file in VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod, it says that AviSynth can't open the file. What's going on?

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:19 pm

You're not using FFMS2 or any other indexer that is actually good or written by Donald Graft. That's what's going on.

YiuKorochko
Org Profile

Post by YiuKorochko » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:24 am

Seriously just get AnyDVD, [Redacted] and then just copy the m2ts files. Rename the extension to .mpg for editing purposes. Last time I checked, MKVMerge doesn't import BRMPEG format. Plus renaming it to .mpg makes it easier to compress in MeGUI or whatever else. not a lot of programs like .m2ts, just like a lot don't like .vob even though it's technically the same thing.

[MOD258: Post redacted, please read the rules.]

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:43 am

Stop giving bad advice, TYIA.

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”