New Funimation Ripping Issues

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
Kazemon15
Org Profile

New Funimation Ripping Issues

Post by Kazemon15 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:51 am

I'm currently trying to rip my new Funimation dvds, Nabari no ou, except I've run into a major problem....any dvd ripper I have tried keeps freezing and does not work.

I have tried dvd decrypter, dvdfab, dvdshrink, anydvd and ripit4me... none of these work.

Can anyone please tell me if it's possible to even at all rip these dvds?

The darn things won't even show up to play on my computer. I'm a PC user.

Thanks in advance.

Emotive
...the Meditant
Org Profile

Re: New Funimation Ripping Issues

Post by Emotive » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:03 am

Try running AnyDVD.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:41 pm

SmartRipper?
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:02 pm

Kazemon15 wrote:The darn things won't even show up to play on my computer. I'm a PC user.
That sounds like the DVD itself might have some issue... if it works properly in a dvd player I'm clueless.

EDIT: Well, that or perhaps your dvd drive is half dead (unless it works fine with other dvds).

Kazemon15
Org Profile

Post by Kazemon15 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:12 pm

It plays fine on a DVD player and other DVDs can play fine on my computer, just not this DVD.

I tried it on 3 different computers already. I pop in the DVD, everything freezes...only when I eject the DVD, everything goes back to normal...

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:16 pm

I don't know if this would work, but if you've got two disc drives, then this might be of benefit*:
1. Download the ISO for Ubuntu 9.10 here (if you've got a 64-bit capable processor, then you can get the 64-bit edition if you'd like - select it from the alternative download options on the Download page):
http://www.ubuntu.com/

2. Use ImgBurn to burn the ISO to a CD-R or DVD-R (use the Write mode or the Write image file to disc option).

3. After it finishes burning and all, with the disc in the drive, restart your computer. Do make sure that your computer can boot from CD. This should be the default behavior, but sometimes things get wonky and you have to select this from the BIOS.

4. When the disc's boot menu appears, confirm that you want to use English as your language, and then select the 'Use Ubuntu without any change to my computer' option.

5. It will now load the operating system off the disc and boot into it instead of Windows. When you get to the desktop and everything has finished loading, insert the Funimation DVD into your other DVD drive.
  • If it recognizes the disc, then great - if you've got an external hard drive or an 8 or 16GB USB flash drive, then you can copy the VIDEO_TS folder from the disc to the USB or external drive. Once you're back in Windows, you should be able to simply point the decryption program at that folder (or perhaps at the folder which contains it), and it'll process the data just as if it was reading it from the drive with a disc that works.
  • If the disc doesn't work, then chances are there are issues with the disc itself.
6. When you're finished, click the button in the upper-right hand corner (which denotes the 'user', or should), and it'll have a drop-down menu from which you can restart the computer or shut down entirely. Either way, it'll shut down and you'll be prompted to retrieve the disc from the drive.

*If you've got a Mac, then you might want to try reading the disc on that first. But if you don't, then what I'm suggesting is available to you for your existing computer(s).
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Kazemon15
Org Profile

Post by Kazemon15 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:52 pm

Problem solved. Man, I feel dumb.

I was using an external dvd drive to try and rip the DVD...it seems it wasnt powerful enough to play it. I tried it on an older external drive, a one with an AC plug and it finally worked.

All my computer drives are broken (except my desktop, but it plays extremely slow). I really need to get these things fixed.

Thanks for all your help, everyone. =3 If I have anymore problems, I'll try out all the suggestions you said, especially the method Qyot27 told me about.

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”