DVD decrypter vs. DVDfab

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
AngelOfTheDark
Org Profile

DVD decrypter vs. DVDfab

Post by AngelOfTheDark » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:22 am

I've been busy for quite some time and recently came back to the forums to find some new developments. Now it seems that DVDfab has been replacing the previous decrypter as the primary ripping device (it seems because the previous one has become licensed now). I was wondering if there's a major difference between the two. I mean, besides the fact that DVDfab is still free and doesn't seem to have as much trouble with certain DVDs (from what I've read on other posts, anyway). Does anyone know if there's a difference in the quality of the footage or maybe the file size of the ripped videos? I was just curious if it's worth it to download the new program right now.
"They say that there is no medicine that can cure a fool... I guess that's true." (Potion shop's old woman- LoZ OoT)

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: DVD decrypter vs. DVDfab

Post by Kionon » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:40 am

AngelOfTheDark wrote:Does anyone know if there's a difference in the quality of the footage or maybe the file size of the ripped videos? I was just curious if it's worth it to download the new program right now.
Ripping has nothing to do with either of these. Ripping simply decrypts and places the files on your harddrive. Quality and size are unaffected.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Emotive
...the Meditant
Org Profile

Post by Emotive » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:42 am

I still prefer Decrypter, I find it sexier.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:39 pm

AngelOfTheDark wrote:(it seems because the previous one has become licensed now).
DVD Decrypter wasn't licensed, it was killed under threat of litigation by Macrovision. And anyone selling copies of it is clearly in the wrong.

The burning engine from DVD Decrypter has continued on as a separate application (ImgBurn), though.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

AngelOfTheDark
Org Profile

Post by AngelOfTheDark » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:41 pm

Kionon wrote:
Ripping has nothing to do with either of these. Ripping simply decrypts and places the files on your harddrive. Quality and size are unaffected.

Oh, I don't know about that. Before I knew about DVD decrypter (or this site), I actually purchased a ripper. (IMToo, I think? Waste of money, as it turned out.) The quality wasn't nearly as good as the free software and depending on what settings you had it on, the file size could differ drastically. Of course, it was a bit different. It automatically converted the vobs to another type of file. (wma, mpg, etc. again, depending on the setting) So, I guess it was a ripper/converter instead of just a ripper...
"They say that there is no medicine that can cure a fool... I guess that's true." (Potion shop's old woman- LoZ OoT)

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:18 am

AngelOfTheDark wrote:So, I guess it was a ripper/converter instead of just a ripper...
Ripping has nothing to do with file type or file size. Conversion is something else entirely.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:35 am

Kionon wrote:
AngelOfTheDark wrote:So, I guess it was a ripper/converter instead of just a ripper...
Ripping has nothing to do with file type or file size. Conversion is something else entirely.
Exactly why the program s/he purchased likely was a converter too and not just a plain and simple ripper. :P

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”