Quality Help With Sony Vegas, and DVD rips

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
-Jp
Org Profile

Quality Help With Sony Vegas, and DVD rips

Post by -Jp » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:45 pm

I was wondering what the best settings for Sony Vegas 7 were. Also what kind of programs is best for ripping DVD's?

I'm also not a big fan of quality, so I was wondering, what's a good and easy program to make an AMV high quality? What I heard was mp4's when using Zarx264qui was good. I also heard that using VirtualDub for Xvid avi footage was good. Any other kind of suggestions?

I'm sorry if I'm asking very "nooby" questions. I first started of on YouTube, so I never learned quality tricks from people on here who had much more experience.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:55 pm

Generic "Read <a href=http://www.a-m-v.org/guides/avtech31/>ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides</a> it has a lot of the answers you are looking for.." response aside...

To make your amvs "high quality" it usually starts with using high quality sources to edit with, then exporting at a high quality out put, then compressing to a pretty good quality codec/container...

if you start out with low quality, export to high quality, and then compress to good quality, then you will still end up with a pretty low quality video, because what you put in will always be equal or less than what you put out due to what you started with..

if you start out with high quality, export to okay quality then you will end up with ok quality but it won't exactly be the "best" quality...

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:58 pm

oh one more thing: it is always best to start with uniform sources, make sure all your sources match that way Vegas doesn't have to adjust and make you lose quality..

your set up settings should match your video and audio sources and your export (aka "Render" as it's called in Vegas) settings should also match your audio and video sources. Then you take the export and compress it from there.

-Jp
Org Profile

Post by -Jp » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:03 pm

Thanks for the link. And thank you JaddziaDax for the tip. ^_^ It helped me a lot. Normally it used to be downloading footage, put it on Vegas, pan/crop the video until it fit, and put the lossy mp3 file on there..Blah, enough with my amv life story, but yeah, thanks for the tip. =)

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:07 pm

oh yea and here is the direct link to the DVD ripping guide.. :3

good luck!

-Jp
Org Profile

Post by -Jp » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:10 pm

Thanks! :D

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:13 pm

Pretty much it's what Jadzzia said.

I use Vegas myself, and still have quality problems at times. Sometimes, even if you do start out with High Quality footage, it doesn't necessarily mean that your putput will be of high quality. If you are using VirtualDub, VirtualDubMod or even DVD decryptor, regardless of what quality footage you start out with, it all comes down to properly encoding it. Even if you start with HQ footage, if it's not encoded properly, then the footage will look like crap. However, when taken great care of, the quality of the footage, will be like you want it, or maybe even better.
Premiering At Another Anime Con 2012

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”