Ripping Wii Discs

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
Kumatora
Org Profile

Ripping Wii Discs

Post by Kumatora » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:52 pm

Yeah, it's similar to my capturing topics, but whatever.

I rather not go searching online for an ISO of the game online to extract cutscene footage from a game, especially when I own the game in the first place.

If it's possible, how do I extract them? I'd like to remake one of my videos that was just a quality nightmare.

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Post by LantisEscudo » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:28 pm

It's possible to rip Wii and Gamecube disks, but you need one of about 4 specific Hitachi-made DVD drives. They're DVD-ROM only drives, though, and all are now discontinued, so it's difficult to get your hands on one.

If you can get one, a program called RawDump 2.1 can rip the ISO file for you; I'm not sure how to pull files out of the ISOs on Windows, though, I've been using a Unix-based application on my Mac to do it.

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Post by LantisEscudo » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:33 pm

Just to follow up, the four drives are manufactured by Hitachi, but are frequently branded with the LG name. The model numbers (all with a GDR- prefix) are 8161, 8162, 8163, and 8164 (so, for example, I have a GDR-8161).

Kumatora
Org Profile

Post by Kumatora » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:46 am

Thanks. It looks like it may not be worth it though since they're discontinued. Looks like I'll have to stick to analog capturing for now at least.

shirohamada
Org Profile

Post by shirohamada » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:48 pm

what kind of video to look for? mpeg2? 4?
<a href="http://shirohamada.blogspot.com/">yet another anime blog -_-'
</a>

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Post by LantisEscudo » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:57 pm

Wii and GC games' video is usually in an unusual form of MJPEG, called THP (there are also some videos in a minor variant called MTH). ffmpeg is able to handle THPs, last I checked, MTHes fail, though.

A few games use a format known as H4A, which there isn't a decoder for yet, and I think there's one or two other formats I'm forgetting.

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”